Rothes on the Brink?

HibeeJibee

I was going to reply with a suggestion of something vast entering Uranus but I'm too old. Clachnacudden who won 12-2 today would probably end up in the bottom section of a divided HL. Keith have had some great results against supposedly top teams this season. Buckie Thistle will beat Formartine one week and lose against Fort William the next. Let it play out with a full spread of 18 teams till Christmas, then fiddle with the format.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promotion and relegation surely makes sense. Can't be fun for clubs like Rothes, Fort William and Strathspey getting humped most weeks. Let them go down and compete against teams at a similar level and let any ambitious teams from lower tiers come up.

Promotion and relegation surely makes sense. Can't be fun for clubs like Rothes, Fort William and Strathspey getting humped most weeks. Let them go down and compete against teams at a similar level and let any ambitious teams from lower tiers come up.

Of course the pyramid makes sense, but all the SFA are thinking about is promotion and demotion from and to the SPFL. It wouldn't be hard to work out a system between the NRJFL and the HL, but the SFA have set up a system where the HL and LL have no idea how many teams will be in their leagues from season to season, therefore no idea for rules about demotion from or promotion to the HL or LL. BTW Fort William stayed well off the bottom last season and got a few scalps, Strathspey Thistle are doing quite well this season, while Rothes are looking like the whipping boys.

I was at the game yesterday as a neutral and they were absolutely hopeless. A number of players were out of their depth and blowing out their arse after half an Hour. Was a sorry sight

As for the keeper - the poor guy was dreadful and looked in tears by the end. Couldn't do the basics and let in some goals a pub team would blush at.

Was at the game with Deansy and wow, come the end I was actually feeling for the keeper.

Nobody likes to see that, but it was totally understandable how it happened. In fact, had it not been for the post and the bar it could have been closer to 20.

Scott Riddoch is no Goalkeeper but his confidence was shot in the opening 15 minutes and it just got worse and worse for him. It got to the stage where you were wanting the Ref to blow for Full Time just to put him out of his misery.

Did Ryan Keir win an auction prize at a sportsman's dinner or something? '90 Minutes Playing For Rothes'? Another who was just hopeless and hopelessly unfit. Quite embarrassing seeing someone with their hands on their hips blowing out their arse with only 15 minutes gone at semi-professional level.

I've no idea how much the "players" are being paid at Rothes but whatever it is they are robbing the supporters who actually made the journey though. Donald Horsburgh at least tried but Callum McIntosh was the only one who could hold his head up, but he was actually subbed at Half Time. He couldn't be blamed for jumping in his car and heading home to watch the scores come in with Geoff.

Cracking wee set up at Clach though, will certainly return at a later date. Best of luck for the future.

The original plan was ten clubs for both the Highland and Lowland Leagues, but the Highland League refused to participate in the process unless clubs like Rothes and Fort William got to still be part of things. By the sounds of things a blind eye has been turned to shambolic administration when Rothes had their license approved, which makes you wonder how stringent the process really was where the existing full members were concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Skelped 9-0 at Formartine today and that was without any scoring in the last 15 minutes. Looks like a long, hard season for Rothes.

It wouldn't be hard to work out a system between the NRJFL and the HL, but the SFA have set up a system where the HL and LL have no idea how many teams will be in their leagues from season to season, therefore no idea for rules about demotion from or promotion to the HL or LL.

There is promotion/relegation between LL and EOSL+SOSL. I don't think potentially varying numbers (instead of varying boundary) is a suitable excuse up north.

Skelped 9-0 at Formartine today and that was without any scoring in the last 15 minutes. Looks like a long, hard season for Rothes.

There is promotion/relegation between LL and EOSL+SOSL. I don't think potentially varying numbers (instead of varying boundary) is a suitable excuse up north.

-38 goal difference after 6 matches.

They must be on course of some kind of record? By my calculations if they keep going at their current rate they'll finish the season on -215.

The original plan was ten clubs for both the Highland and Lowland Leagues, but the Highland League refused to participate in the process unless clubs like Rothes and Fort William got to still be part of things. By the sounds of things a blind eye has been turned to shambolic administration when Rothes had their license approved, which makes you wonder how stringent the process really was where the existing full members were concerned.

To be fair, a lot of clubs in the SPFL wouldn't want their administration or finances looked at too closely either. Probably at least one of the people approving Rothes had a shambles back at their own place.

Hopefully the season gets better for Rothes. It's not good to see teams pumped like this on a regular basis.

Was at the game with Deansy and wow, come the end I was actually feeling for the keeper.

Nobody likes to see that, but it was totally understandable how it happened. In fact, had it not been for the post and the bar it could have been closer to 20.

Scott Riddoch is no Goalkeeper but his confidence was shot in the opening 15 minutes and it just got worse and worse for him. It got to the stage where you were wanting the Ref to blow for Full Time just to put him out of his misery.

Did Ryan Keir win an auction prize at a sportsman's dinner or something? '90 Minutes Playing For Rothes'? Another who was just hopeless and hopelessly unfit. Quite embarrassing seeing someone with their hands on their hips blowing out their arse with only 15 minutes gone at semi-professional level.

I've no idea how much the "players" are being paid at Rothes but whatever it is they are robbing the supporters who actually made the journey though. Donald Horsburgh at least tried but Callum McIntosh was the only one who could hold his head up, but he was actually subbed at Half Time. He couldn't be blamed for jumping in his car and heading home to watch the scores come in with Geoff.

Cracking wee set up at Clach though, will certainly return at a later date. Best of luck for the future.

He might have been pish but he has been a keeper with both Buckie and Dufftown 6/7 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

A quieter day for the Rothes defence on Saturday as they lost 3-0 to Fort William.

Sadly the succour was short-lived as they got humiliated 9-0 at home to Turriff United on Wednesday night... It is getting into the sort of territory where records really are going to be broken. They may have some breathing space the next few weeks as they face Huntly and Strathspey, currently making up the bottom 4 alongside Rothes and Fort - then face Buckie in the Scottish Cup (which is probably a more fortuitous draw than many non-HL clubs).

For some unknown reason, I'm always looking forward to an away Cup match at either Rothes or Golspie. We go through Rothes on the way back from Elgin twice a year, and I'd love to go there for a QP game. Slim chance of beating Buckie, I'd imagine.

That road could be a wee bit dodgy in the winter, in my experience.

I regret never having gone to Mackessack Park, I suppose there was always a game at Elgin, Forres or Lossie so never made it over.

Archived