Rothes on the Brink?

HibeeJibee

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/625368/highland-league-club-served-winding-order/

Highland League club served with winding-up order

A Moray Highland League club has been served with a winding-up order over a huge unpaid tax bill.

Rothes FC is understood to owe HM Revenue and Customs as much as £30,000.

Last night fears were raised about the club’s future as officials past and present said they were shocked to learn its finances were in such a dire state. But its chairman was adamant the club would be ready for the new season “and beyond” and said he was confident the money would be found t0 pay the outstanding tax.

HM Revenue and Customs applied for a winding-up order at Elgin Sheriff Court. If its application was supported the club could be put into liquidation and its assets sold to clear debts.

The Mackessack Park club’s chairman, Robbie Thomson, said last night: “It’s currently a tax issue, but at the moment we have no figures, and we are working on it. We are not panicking. We don’t know how much we are having to pay and how long we will have to pay it back. “We have to go back to speak to the solicitors again because we are at a very early stage.” Mr Thomson, whose wife Anne is the club’s treasurer, said he was confident of getting things right off the field to allow the club to focus on its first game at home to Fort William in the opening round of the North of Scotland cup on July 18. He added: “We will be there. Not just for the first game either, we will be there for the whole season. “We will manage to raise the money. We have been in a situation like this before, and the Thomson family itself has put a lot of money into the club before. “We fight every single day for this football club. We will ensure the club’s future again. We own our own ground and there is a lot of clubs in a worse state than we are.”

Rab Mulheron, the Speysiders’ vice-chairman and director of football, said: “I am totally stunned. I had no knowledge of this whatsoever, as nobody has mentioned this to me. I am absolutely flabbergasted.”

Rothes FC’s former chief executive, accountant Brian Cameron, was on the club’s board for several seasons up until 2008-2009. He said: “I don’t know much money Rothes owe HMRC, but when I heard about this I was absolutely shocked and upset that the first anybody in the community had heard about the situation was by rumour. “It looks very much as if heads have been buried in the sand. I am concerned as to how far this situation has been allowed to progress, hopefully it hasn’t been allowed to got too far.”

One fan said: “There is deep concerns at the continuing committee running the club without producing accounts or holding an AGM for the club’s members made up of its season ticket holders.”

Yesterday, the Scottish Football Association confirmed Rothes FC holds a club licence, meaning the club had followed the requirement to have submitted a set of accounts to the game’s governing body in April.

An HMRC spokesman said: “HMRC does not comment on identifiable taxpayers.”

It is believed the club may arrange a public meeting in the Speyside town in the coming weeks to discuss how the club moves forward.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love that, just purely for the irony factor :lol:

All jokes aside it would be a crying shame to see Rothes go down the tubes.

Whilst not wanting to see Rothes go down the tubes, £30k is a substantial amount of money for a club the size of Rothes.

Clachnacuddin has actually been in administration twice... in the late 1980s they were liquidated and effectively did a Newco, in the days before any of us knew what that was, which is why the club is officially 'Clachnacuddin (1990) FC Ltd'. In the early 2000s they received an interest-free loan from the Inverness Common Good Fund to pay off new tax debts. However they fell behind on repayments, and built-up new debts to the taxman, the bank, the brewery and so on which led to them being put into administration in October 2009 at which point they owed between £250k & £270k including £46k to the council. They were in administration until May 2011. I can't remember what sorted things in the end, but I think they sold the social club to the Free Church or possibly the local Bangladeshi Society?

Clachnacuddin has actually been in administration twice... in the late 1980s they were liquidated and effectively did a Newco, in the days before any of us knew what that was, which is why the club is officially 'Clachnacuddin (1990) FC Ltd'. In the early 2000s they received an interest-free loan from the Inverness Common Good Fund to pay off new tax debts. However they fell behind on repayments, and built-up new debts to the taxman, the bank, the brewery and so on which led to them being put into administration in October 2009 at which point they owed between £250k & £270k including £46k to the council. They were in administration until May 2011. I can't remember what sorted things in the end, but I think they sold the social club to the Free Church or possibly the local Bangladeshi Society?

I can't imagine a Social Club being much use to the Wee Frees, tbh.

I would love that, just purely for the irony factor :lol:

All jokes aside it would be a crying shame to see Rothes go down the tubes.

I expect they'll be ok, the HMRC hand out these winding up orders like confetti to get late payers to get their finger out.

Goodness gracious me.

Look's like the happy clappers have put the old Clach social up for sale. A mere £190k could bring the bevvy back to Grant Street.

http://www.asandj.co.uk/property.asp?intent=details&propid=231

Fcuk them, they're probably desperate now that Armageddon's late. Get the Nip Inn to offer £50,000. BTW Clach are playing Inverness City today at Bught Park, 2pm.

Look's like the happy clappers have put the old Clach social up for sale. A mere £190k could bring the bevvy back to Grant Street.

http://www.asandj.co.uk/property.asp?intent=details&propid=231

Fcuk them, they're probably desperate now that Armageddon's late. Get the Nip Inn to offer £50,000. BTW Clach are playing Inverness City today at Bught Park, 2pm.

It seems I was wasn't too far off:

We are a Calvary Chapel affiliate church located in Inverness, Scotland. We are also a registered immigration sponsor. We have offered sponsorship to any/all Calvary Chapel missionaries who are willing and able to meet the stringent UKVI requirements. We currently are hard at work processing the sponsorship requests for at least 13 of these 19 missionaries. As you pray for these 19 missionaries, please remember to pray for us as well. We have our own separate UK immigration appeal and we now inundated with these urgent sponsor requests. As well, we have lost financial support from our home Calvary Chapel church in the USA. So we are caught in between a rock and a hard place trying to help other missionaries while we ourselves have our own serious challenges. If you are one of these affected or you know someone who requires sponsorship, please have them contact us at leojrose@me.com How do we know that the Lord has not ordained our situation "for such a time as this?"

http://www.calvarychapel.com/resources/article/view/19%20CC%20Missionaries%20under%20threat%20of%20being%20removed%20from%20the%20U.K./

P.S. Seems the Lord did not see fit to help them out:

Leo & Cheryl Rose are coming home after 11 years in Scotland! If you would like to bless them, please plan on being at the welcome home potluck on Sunday, July 19 at 4 pm in the potters house at CCBF. See ya there!!

Leo & Cheryl are returning with only two suitcases - so if you would like to help them out they are registered at Target. Or if you have a car you would like to donate or loan contact the church.

11391595_799926013457007_465364595032858

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived