When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still not enough to be sure.

Scotland ‘kicked’ out of the EU against its will.
Boris Johnson Prime Minister of the UK.
Section 30 requests repeatedly knocked back.

The Nats probably couldn’t get a better set of circumstances from their point of view and yet they can only scrape 52% of the vote.

And that’s before their fairytale economic proposals for an independent Scotland are laughed at by the sensible majority and the Scots don’t fancy entering yet another messy, multi-year divorce period.

A sickener for Sturgeon, Salmond, Wings and co.

Thing is what the feck can a No campaign come up with now, the promise of staying in the EU if you vote no won't work for them obviously, the currency issue has been resolved and realistically what does the future hold for Scotland under a Tory Government which despises the SNP, the majority vote to stay in the EU by the Scottish people will probably sway many no voters to a yes for Independence.

I’d expect the Better Together 2.0 to go down a route of “we are so much more similar to rUK than the Europeans” type line and bang on about a hard border at Carlisle and how much more trade we do with rUK than continental Europe.

It remains to be seen how successful said campaign will be.

The UK Gov are still liable for the total bill for the Policing and I don't think it should be underestimated the boost to the local economy that this conference would give, not to mention putting Glasgow on the global map and the associated tourism which could come from it.

The UK gvt aren’t paying it all, trust me.

The Nats probably couldn’t get a better set of circumstances from their point of view and yet they can only scrape 52% of the vote.

And that’s before their fairytale economic proposals for an independent Scotland are laughed at by the sensible majority and the Scots don’t fancy entering yet another messy, multi-year divorce period.

Only 52% of the vote? That's really clutching at straws.

"I know you've got a majority now but it's a tiny one"

I, and many others, would prefer a bigger lead. Of course we would. But the polls are slowly shifting, and your post is typical of the fear that no voters must have. We're slowly edging towards the inevitable.

I also don't see any claims of fairytale economics. But that doesn't suit your narrative.

A genuinely dreadful defence of the Union case.

9 hours ago, sjc said:

Agreed but I wasn't arguing that point, which was, like signing up to the IMF or World Bank for finance, being a Member State of the EU comes with a caveat of rules that must be adhered too regardless of Parliaments constitutional powers. They can remove the State from the EU, yes, but they can't override certain EU Statute as a Member State.

Can't override but can influence, so still not like the Queen.

The fact that we are up against most of the media and the British establishment. Added to the fact that SNP have also been the incumbent government in Holyrood for quite a while now which would normally result in their support dropping not going up. I would say 52% is quite a good position to be in before we get into full campaign mode.
The Union is in its final stages. It’s just a matter of time now.

43 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The fact that we are up against most of the media and the British establishment. Added to the fact that SNP have also been the incumbent government in Holyrood for quite a while now which would normally result in their support dropping not going up. I would say 52% is quite a good position to be in before we get into full campaign mode.
The Union is in its final stages. It’s just a matter of time now.

No greenies left. Good post.

Once again the debate on independence is being hijacked and turned into some sort of Scotland v England grudge match but in reality it's nothing like that and indeed far more simple and easy to understand.
Increasingly the values, needs and views of the Scottish people are becoming further and further detached from their English counterpart, Brexit was a good indication of this in itself and under the current Government we will increasingly see Scotland being treated as a distraction which should be seen and not heard.
The latest proposed move by BJ and his Government to remove the climate change conference from Glasgow and send it South to London is just another example of the complete and utter contempt in which they hold for Scotland.
HS2 will do nothing for Scotland, Heathrow will do nothing for Scotland, further Crossrail projects and add ons will do nothing for Scotland and as the Tories don't require our votes to retain power then we can expect absolutely nothing from them.
Independence is NOT about wearing your kilt and Glengarry and shouting out "1314 ya bass", it's about governing our own country and shaping policy in a way which best suits our citizens from both an Economic and  Cultural perspective, it's about playing to your strengths as opposed to being a region of an inward looking country which doesn't recognise your voice.
Nobody's saying it will have instant success as re-joining with Europe will come with caveats and require sacrifices, however that will be OUR choice to make.
As for the SNP, it won't be a dictatorship, so if people aren't happy with the Governing party there will still be elections and the opportunity to vote in our own Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem, Green or whoever party, but instead of having their strings pulled from London, they will be able to actually run our own country from right here in Edinburgh.
Honestly, what are people afraid of ? Why would any country not want self determination and a right to Govern themselves and make their own decisions ??
I'll never understand those who don't I'm afraid.................

Superb post, nicely put.

2 hours ago, Mastermind said:

Well said fellow Bear 🐻🇬🇧👌👏🐻🇬🇧👌👏

Brilliant post.

Forgive me for not listening to WATTOO, given that he thinks sexual assault should be legal and Ukraine and Russia are ‘normal countries’ that we should all aspire to be like.

It’s fairly obvious that the majority of Natters just want independence because they think everything associated with England and the Union is bad. It’s quite funny to see comments like ‘the Union is dying’ and ‘it’s on its last legs’ following the 3rd Yes majority in the last 68 polls. The Union is nowhere near breaking up, and indyref2 isn’t close. It’s bizarre to see some Nats going on as if both are close.
Writing someone off completely because of one thing you've decided is unacceptable - is very 2020.

It's infantile.

I suppose you completely condemn ghandi for being a giant racist after an early book emerged with some questionable comments from his early days?

Like I said, an infantile attitude towards debate and discussion.

(And as much as I love my fellow Ayr fans, no I am not comparing wattoo to ghandi)

Brilliant post.

Forgive me for not listening to WATTOO, given that he thinks sexual assault should be legal and Ukraine and Russia are ‘normal countries’ that we should all aspire to be like.

It’s fairly obvious that the majority of Natters just want independence because they think everything associated with England and the Union is bad. It’s quite funny to see comments like ‘the Union is dying’ and ‘it’s on its last legs’ following the 3rd Yes majority in the last 68 polls. The Union is nowhere near breaking up, and indyref2 isn’t close. It’s bizarre to see some Nats going on as if both are close.

To be fair they’ve been saying the same thing for nearly six years now. And now they’re further from actually having a way forward in place than ever before.

There were two things there.

The only thing infantile is the hostility that Unionists, No-voters and Leavers recieve on this site from angry Nats. I respect your pro-indy views, now you have to respect posters such as myself, Mastermind, Malky and the Kincardine for thinking differently. It’s democratic politics for a reason.

Malkys a multi banned troll and Kincardine is a pish stained auld bigot. They don't deserve any respect.

[emoji1] no mention of everyone's favourite minter?
Poor old "master" "mind". [emoji1]
He's just a another fanny desperate to convince himself that indy ref 2 will never happen. Tragic really but still....not to be taken seriously.