When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

Read the first three words of mine.

So you're saying the previous UK Governments didn't transfer Parliamentary powers to Brussels and yet they implemented EU laws which said Governments duely incorporated without consenting the electorate......interesting take on sovereignty.

12 minutes ago, sjc said:

So you're saying the previous UK Governments didn't transfer Parliamentary powers to Brussels and yet they implemented EU laws which said Governments duely incorporated without consenting the electorate......interesting take on sovereignty.

No, I'm saying Westminster is sovereign and can transfer powers at will.

6 hours ago, sjc said:

I did know. 6 months of Constitutional law was a fascinating history lesson in my brief flirtation with becoming a lawyer. More fool me!

But given the 3 year farce that it took for Westminster to enact those sovereign powers, as per the democratic will of the majority of UK voters, I don't think they should be granted too much leeway in deciding off their own backs what's best for the people.

We now have empirical evidence that it's a terrible idea to ask the average person on the street to decide on the net benefits of a complex international treaty.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We now have empirical evidence that it's a terrible idea to ask the average person on the street to decide on the net benefits of a complex international treaty.

If it's too complex for the average person to understand then it should be made less complex.  International trade and cooperation does not have to be complex, it is made that way for the very reason that it allows the instigators to make the same claims as you are.

Interesting that you still support a referendum for Scotland.  There are far more ramifications to this than leaving the EU.

Westminster has no written constitution, english law is based on precedent, under Scottish law Scottish judges have a freer hand arriving at summations and legal interpretation.

Donald Tusk has this morning stated that the EU would show empathy towards an Independent Scotland applying for membership.

Edited by SandyCromarty

16 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Given Limmy predicts just about everything better than the most sophisticated democratic models I think he's probably right in this thread.

Given the events of the past 7 days I would suggest that Limmy's prediction is extremely unlikely.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

You wonder if a lovebomb would work this time. A huge number of people who fronted it last time were already at the tail end of their telly careers. Would 16 year olds now even know who Trinny and Susannah, Tony Robinson etc were?

They could just have Roger Daltry singing ‘won’t get fooled again!’

11 minutes ago, Adamski said:

It is encouraging. I think it would also be helpful that the EU could be supportive of EFTA style arrangement which could be in place upon independence or at least comparable to current transition period. On this point I think that is an entirely reasonable situation. This gives enough time and elections to determine the finer details of full  membership longer term. 

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You wonder if a lovebomb would work this time. A huge number of people who fronted it last time were already at the tail end of their telly careers. Would 16 year olds now even know who Trinny and Susannah, Tony Robinson etc were?

Tony Robinson’s a good lad, but his “vote No so we can save the birds together” campaign was the goofy fruit of the haha bush. A Tory-majority-led Brexit has killed the left-wing anti-Scottish independence argument stone dead.

Still, I’ve more time for non-Scots arguing against independence from the perspective that they don’t want to suffer far-right lunacy on their own than Scots who welcome that lunacy because it’s draped in their favourite flag. Ultimately, though, the idea that we should suffer together will convince fewer than ever of the merits of remaining a wee dependent territory of Johnsonian Britain.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Probably not but they would be familiar with the childrens entertainers Ant and Dec.