When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its not 15 minute appointments, only GP’s in training do 15 minute appointments. If people miss 2 appointments they are sent a letter, if they miss a further appointment in a period of time they are thrown off the list. If people book frivolous appointments they are told not to do it again, if it continues they are thrown off the list. My wifes practice always has available appointments with either the GPs or practice nurse (who can prescribe) on the day so no one who actually needs an appointment is missed out. What we do have is a culture where people go to the GP expecting antibiotics everytime they sneeze or asking for urgent appointments for non urgent matters or booking appointments with a GP to request a physio appointment despite it being a self referral scheme now. Chemists and opticians can help with a variety of things and dispense there and then, but people seem to think they HAVE to be seen by a doctor.
Thats not a failing of the gatekeeper thing btw, the receptionists attempt to ask the right questions but on many occasions people either lie or over egg symptoms. Drug seeking is a big thing but GP’s push back on it, good luck getting diazepam on prescription in the west now.
The biggest issue facing general practice now is recruitment and retention, new pension rules mean doctors are being punished for working out of hours shifts, essentially having to pay the tax man to work, one of my wifes colleagues is being taxed on out of hours pensionable earnings due to some bizarre rules that mean he now owes the tax man £20k. Im not a tax professional so can’t explain it, but basically he now cant work in out of hours. This is due to reforms forced on the SNHS due to similar reforms in England, ie when they cut stuff the barnet consequentials are also cut up here.
Brexit has made tempting more GP’s to stay in Scotland far more difficult, they see the UK shifting violently to the right and want to leave, some doctors are moving away as they’ve been abused by right wingers requesting ‘a white doctor’ or the like and have simply had enough. It seems the idiots have been emboldened by brexit. Three of my wifes friends from medical school have left the UK off the back of the fact they can’t be fucked with the way the UK is going, this is obviously just what she’s seeing but the figures show its happening across the UK.

120 ÷ 7 (number of GP's and nurses) ÷ 20 ( number of working days in December )= less than 1 missed appointment per doctor/nurse per day. If the working day is from 9-6, with an hour for lunch,and 10 mins per appt. that equates to less than 1 missed for every 48 per day.
Yes I agree that it is wasteful, but hardly ridiculously high.

46 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Same here, you go online, tick what medication you require, wait a couple of days, then pick it up at your nominated pharmacy. Looks like the part of Scotland I live in has also moved into the 21st century.

I do that for repeat prescriptions, but I can't believe that in Dundee GP's expect sick patients to wait a couple of days to get their prescription paracetamol. 

45 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its not 15 minute appointments, only GP’s in training do 15 minute appointments. If people miss 2 appointments they are sent a letter, if they miss a further appointment in a period of time they are thrown off the list. If people book frivolous appointments they are told not to do it again, if it continues they are thrown off the list. My wifes practice always has available appointments with either the GPs or practice nurse (who can prescribe) on the day so no one who actually needs an appointment is missed out. What we do have is a culture where people go to the GP expecting antibiotics everytime they sneeze or asking for urgent appointments for non urgent matters or booking appointments with a GP to request a physio appointment despite it being a self referral scheme now. Chemists and opticians can help with a variety of things and dispense there and then, but people seem to think they HAVE to be seen by a doctor.
Thats not a failing of the gatekeeper thing btw, the receptionists attempt to ask the right questions but on many occasions people either lie or over egg symptoms. Drug seeking is a big thing but GP’s push back on it, good luck getting diazepam on prescription in the west now.
The biggest issue facing general practice now is recruitment and retention, new pension rules mean doctors are being punished for working out of hours shifts, essentially having to pay the tax man to work, one of my wifes colleagues is being taxed on out of hours pensionable earnings due to some bizarre rules that mean he now owes the tax man £20k. Im not a tax professional so can’t explain it, but basically he now cant work in out of hours. This is due to reforms forced on the SNHS due to similar reforms in England, ie when they cut stuff the barnet consequentials are also cut up here.
Brexit has made tempting more GP’s to stay in Scotland far more difficult, they see the UK shifting violently to the right and want to leave, some doctors are moving away as they’ve been abused by right wingers requesting ‘a white doctor’ or the like and have simply had enough. It seems the idiots have been emboldened by brexit. Three of my wifes friends from medical school have left the UK off the back of the fact they can’t be fucked with the way the UK is going, this is obviously just what she’s seeing but the figures show its happening across the UK.

It's good if they've always got availability. My current GP practice does seem better in that way too, but at the last one I was with that certainly wasn't the case. If you wanted a same day appointment and all the available appointments had gone you either had to go with a GP phone call where the GP would then tell you to come to the practice anyway, or you had to work the system and over egg your symptoms. 

I also suspect the reason people claim appointments are urgent is because they face a situation like I did this week where the first available non urgent appoint was the 23rd of February. A mole that has changed shape slightly and has become a bit itchy is probably non urgent in most peoples book. Just something it's better to get checked out but hardly an urgent matter of life or death. But tell them the next available appointment is one month later and you can understand why that mole has suddenly become "skin cancer". Just to be clear this is a hypothetical example. 

That example happened to me last year. A mole had been itchy and bleeding and wouldn't heal for about 3 weeks so when I explained all this to the 'gatekeeper' I was given an appointment in 6 weeks time.

It wasn't skin cancer but I wasn't worried about the delay. If I was worried it is possible to wait in the surgery for an appointment on the day. Probably when someone misses or cancels an appointment.

16 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's been a noticeable change of tack by Unionists because they know people actually can't compare how things are in England.

So they rubbish the Scottish Government's performance on Education and the NHS without any comparison to what's happening elsewhere.

Jesus, I'm sorry I missed this doozy last night. 

What you have just described is EXACTLY what the SNP do on BBC Question Time when they send one of their politicians down to England to appear on the show. All sorts of bizarre claims are made - like the one from Alyn Smith last time round that the Scottish NHS was all bright and rosy. It's only very recently that these claims have started to be challenged by the likes of Fiona Bruce, who pointed out the SNP had failed to hit their own NHS targets, and by Andrew Neil. 

I provided comparison data that shows Scotlands failing performance in education. Now you'll need to tell me which hospitals elsewhere are killing children with bird droppings in their water supply, and which countries have allowed a "typo" to go unchecked all through a build contracts lifetime, only to be spotted just before opening as a serious and dangerous flaw, so bad that the hospital can't be opened and £tens of millions of taxpayers money will need to be spent rectifying the f**k up. 

Even ignoring the fallacy that public = inefficient/ wasteful and private = efficient/ lean I’d far rather have a health service which tolerated wastefulness to ensure everyone was treated properly versus one that let people die or develop worse health problems because they were reluctant to make appointments with their GP.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't play ball with the gatekeepers. They have no clinical training.

I don't have any problem with a gatekeeper system, but I do agree to some extent with what you are saying here. 

I'm not sure why GP's running their practice would think that a GP receptionist who struggles with a colouring in book and crayons would be better able to diagnose how ill someone is over the telephone than they are. If the system works as it was supposed to perhaps we shouldn't worry about a shortage of GP's and just recruit more GP Receptionists instead. 

Receptionists who struggle with a colouring in book, GP's who can't use google. Your perception of a GP surgery does you no favours.
Is everyone in our public services useless?

I don't have any problem with a gatekeeper system, but I do agree to some extent with what you are saying here. 
I'm not sure why GP's running their practice would think that a GP receptionist who struggles with a colouring in book and crayons would be better able to diagnose how ill someone is over the telephone than they are. If the system works as it was supposed to perhaps we shouldn't worry about a shortage of GP's and just recruit more GP Receptionists instead. 

19 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Receptionists who struggle with a colouring in book, GP's who can't use google. Your perception of a GP surgery does you no favours.
Is everyone in our public services useless?

Malky's a seething, paranoid mess. Must think anyone involved in any kind of Scottish institution is a Nat and has to be kept down so they don't get ideas above their station.

Jesus, I'm sorry I missed this doozy last night. 
What you have just described is EXACTLY what the SNP do on BBC Question Time when they send one of their politicians down to England to appear on the show. All sorts of bizarre claims are made - like the one from Alyn Smith last time round that the Scottish NHS was all bright and rosy. It's only very recently that these claims have started to be challenged by the likes of Fiona Bruce, who pointed out the SNP had failed to hit their own NHS targets, and by Andrew Neil. 
I provided comparison data that shows Scotlands failing performance in education. Now you'll need to tell me which hospitals elsewhere are killing children with bird droppings in their water supply, and which countries have allowed a "typo" to go unchecked all through a build contracts lifetime, only to be spotted just before opening as a serious and dangerous flaw, so bad that the hospital can't be opened and £tens of millions of taxpayers money will need to be spent rectifying the f**k up. 
Shropshire NHS Trust

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/19/leaked-report-exposes-nhs-worst-ever-maternity-scandal-shrewsbury-and-telford-hospital-trust

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/20/doctors-may-face-suspension-over-nhs-worst-maternity-scandal

Morecambe Bay

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nhs-maternity-scandal-hospitals-report-changes-action-a9207221.html

East Kent

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/east-kent-maternity-baby-deaths-nhs-consultants-harry-richford-a9298266.html

Gosport

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/30/gosport-hospital-deaths-key-facts-of-a-30-year-scandal

NHS Home Nursing Scandal

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1172392/health-nhs-home-nursing-scandal-people-die-waiting-for-help-healthcare

That was just in 5 minutes - so stop playing the same repetitive lying shite.

None of the countries of the UK have free prescriptions.
Edit to clarify:  You have to be a particular type of stupid to think that Scotland has free prescriptions.  It doesn't.  It just means that someone else is paying for them.
God save us from right-wing arseholes who think they have to explain how taxes work.

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

There's a poster called Rosewell who joined in Oct 2019, he's never posted anything nor has he indicated which team he supports but he has red dotted me on every post, anybody know who this idiot is?

Malky perhaps?

Funny that he only gives postive rep to Malky too. 

34 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

There's a poster called Rosewell who joined in Oct 2019, he's never posted anything nor has he indicated which team he supports but he has red dotted me on every post, anybody know who this idiot is?

Malky perhaps?

He red dotted me too.

Fucksake Malky, that's embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Malky perhaps?

Aye, he's red-dotted me too

30 greenies, 49 reddies

1037995583_Screenshot2020-01-29at18_22.10-Edited.png.1ca294d6778e66f57fcd6cf23445d23b.png

A quick look at Malky's account shows where he gives out greenies. Sad really.

963607612_Screenshot2020-01-29at18_33.38-Edited.png.75849713e1e1db706670598e00b63d43.png