When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They've been failing Scotland for 13 years+  too. 

They get away with it cause of the daft cult following they get - but the focus is turning on them now.

You'll be spouting this same pish after the next election when the SNP produce yet another thumping victory over the branch offices. Tragic stuff.

Malky claims that The National Archives are part of "Westminser" because "The National Archives is  a non- Minesterial Government Department". This (yet again) demonstrates his ignorance. 

NMGD's deal with matters for which direct political oversight is unnecessary or inappropriate. Accordingly, they are not directly part of Westminster.

If we are to consider NMDG's as part of Westminster, then the UK's 3 devolved assemblies must be considered in the same light.

But we digress. Malky still hasn't confirmed how many Acts of the Scottish Parliament were passed in 2019...

Edited by lichtgilphead
autocorrect issues (politics! Oversight)

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

You could have saved yourself an hour of typing by explaining why you are blaming anyone other than teachers, construction workers and health professionals for the issues you have mentioned.

Oh and if you don't see the relevance of comparing the NHS in Scotland with that in England then that's on you.

I don't like politicians any more than you do but you are blaming all the wrong people.

I work in engineering Oaksoft. If a client comes to us requesting a quote for the installation of plant, controls and equipment we'll supply it based on what they have outlined in their specification. If they f**k it up we'll charge them for the rework. In the case of the Edinburgh kids hospital, it's been quite clear that the mistake lay with Lothian Health Board, who are now under "Special Measures" as is the QEUH. The problem for the SNP is that the Health Secretary is supposed to manage her brief and she has clearly failed. Why Jeane Freeman is still in her post is way beyond me. 

The same is true of education.Anyone with kids knows there are good and bad teachers, but it is remarkable how the same teachers are achieving poorer standards year after year. There is an Education Secretary who is supposed to be on top of his brief yet the slippage in performance is happening under their watch. 

Tell me Oaksoft, when BHS went under did you blame the individual sales assistants or did you, like the rest of the population, blame Phillip Green? 

All our existences are pointless unless you've found some magic formula which is allowing you to hold the moral high ground here.
Come on then, what is so special about your life that people will be raving about for the rest of time?
Aye nae bother Voltaire.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Spend some time in an NHS hospital in Scotland Oaksoft, talk to the nurses, talk to the doctors. They'll all tell you the same thing - it's been getting worse year on year for at least 13 years

@Malky3, I am an NHS doctor working in an NHS hospital in Scotland. I have also worked in England and have a lot of friends and colleagues who still do. I won't say things are entirely hunky dory up here, but the service is significantly better (in terms of outcomes) than it was 12 years ago when I started and is coping significantly better than the service south of the border. Things are under strain though. We always need more funding. The ageing population, better (often = more expensive) treatments, underfunding of community care are all issues. This is as much a societal thing as political. We need an honest conversation with the public as to what they want the NHS to provide. But Scotland is certainly not unique. Recruitment, like anywhere is difficult when there isn't anyone to recruit! We're doing better in Scotland (as are Wales) because we're not charging nurses and other allied health professionals £9000 a year for three years to train, before beginning a job on a £25000 salary.

Edited by Cyclizine

It doesn't require Voltaire to answer my question.
You've just called another human being's existence as "pointless" because you don't agree with his viewpoint.
All I am asking is, what is so special about your life that you feel able to say things like that?
It's a simple question.
Chill out you fucking lunatic [emoji23]

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Why did you change the poster name on that reply to "oaksoft" from "Malky3"?

I am in complete disagreement with Malky on this stuff. He needs to answer for himself.

The NHS is considerably better up here than in England.

I did quote @Malky3, not sure why your name got attached.

Jim Sillars has always been the only Scottish Nationalist worth paying attention to - and here's what he's saying today

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/snp-deputy-leader-nicola-sturgeon-indyref-2-vote-123212249.html

"Sturgeon is pretending there will be another Independence vote"

"SNP leadership is misleading it's members"

"division within the party"

and

"it's the responsibility of SNP members to convert those who are not behind Scottish independence, rather than marching every weekend"

[mention=77734]Malky3[/mention], I am an NHS doctor working in an NHS hospital in Scotland. I have also worked in England and have a lot of friends and colleagues who still do. I won't say things are entirely hunky dory up here, but the service is significantly better (in terms of outcomes) than it was 12 years ago when I started and is coping significantly better than the service south of the border. Things are under strain though. We always need more funding. The ageing population, better (often = more expensive) treatments, underfunding of community care are all issues. This is as much a societal thing as political. We need an honest conversation with the public as to what they want the NHS to provide. But Scotland is certainly not unique. Recruitment, like anywhere is difficult when there isn't anyone to recruit! We're doing better in Scotland (as are Wales) because we're not charging nurses and other allied health professionals £9000 a year for three years to train, before beginning a job on a £25000 salary.

My mrs is a GP and has lots of friends who are consultants in England, the NHS there seems to be at extraordinary levels of fucked up. We are actually quite lucky to have weathered the Tory drive to destroy the NHS the way we have.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

@Malky3, I am an NHS doctor working in an NHS hospital in Scotland. I have also worked in England and have a lot of friends and colleagues who still do. I won't say things are entirely hunky dory up here, but the service is significantly better (in terms of outcomes) than it was 12 years ago when I started and is coping significantly better than the service south of the border. Things are under strain though. We always need more funding. The ageing population, better (often = more expensive) treatments, underfunding of community care are all issues. This is as much a societal thing as political. We need an honest conversation with the public as to what they want the NHS to provide. But Scotland is certainly not unique. Recruitment, like anywhere is difficult when there isn't anyone to recruit! We're doing better in Scotland (as are Wales) because we're not charging nurses and other allied health professionals £9000 a year for three years to train, before beginning a job on a £25000 salary.

Better? Seriously? 

I wouldn't say that experience is how patients see it. Better treatments I'll give you but not better waiting times, better services or better practices. 

I phoned my GP yesterday to make a non urgent appointment. 23rd of February was the date I was offered - and this GP practice is millions of times better and more organised that the last one I was with. At the last one things were so bad I made an appointment to see the Practice Manager who apologised for the state of the practice and claimed it was because their practice was being "forced" by the Scottish Government to stay open for new patients when all of the other practices were closed to new patients because of the number of people moving into the area. 

Now I appreciate that the Practice Manager might not have been honest - people tell all kinds of lies to shut down complaints - but one thing I am absolutely certain of is that GP services have not improved in the last twelve years. Hospitals, as far as I can see, are more or less in the same boat too. We hear all sorts of stories about sick people in A&E being on trolleys for hours on end - two days I was on a trolley in Monklands in an area just off A&E reception that had been set up to handle around 20 patients like me that they couldn't fit into wards. Wishaw General was closed to patients that night - the explanation was the same. As a PFI hospital Wishaw had limits and could close when it was full. Monklands isn't a PFI hospital so they have to continue to admit no matter how full their wards are. Yet over the last 13 years we continue to reduce the number of available beds. 

Last time I had a stay in Wishaw General was about 5 years ago. That night one of the ward nurses told me that it had been an horrific night. They had one doctor covering 8 wards and A&E. Now you'll know better than me how common that is - but it certainly doesn't sound like a well run health service does it? 

We might be better than England - I've no Idea. I've no experience of what happens down there. But we certainly aren't in a better place than 13 years ago. 

Edited by Malky3

13 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Better? Seriously? 

I wouldn't say that experience is how patients see it. Better treatments I'll give you but not better waiting times, better services or better practices. 

I phoned my GP yesterday to make a non urgent appointment. 23rd of February was the date I was offered - and this GP practice is millions of times better and more organised that the last one I was with. At the last one things were so bad I made an appointment to see the Practice Manager who apologised for the state of the practice and claimed it was because their practice was being "forced" by the Scottish Government to stay open for new patients when all of the other practices were closed to new patients because of the number of people moving into the area. 

Now I appreciate that the Practice Manager might not have been honest - people tell all kinds of lies to shut down complaints - but one thing I am absolutely certain of is that GP services have not improved in the last twelve years. Hospitals, as far as I can see, are more or less in the same boat too. We hear all sorts of stories about sick people in A&E being on trolleys for hours on end - two days I was on a trolley in Monklands in an area just off A&E reception that had been set up to handle around 20 patients like me that they couldn't fit into wards. Wishaw General was closed to patients that night - the explanation was the same. As a PFI hospital Wishaw had limits and could close when it was full. Monklands isn't a PFI hospital so they have to continue to admit no matter how full their wards are. Yet over the last 13 years we continue to reduce the number of available beds. 

Last time I had a stay in Wishaw General was about 5 years ago. That night one of the ward nurses told me that it had been an horrific night. They had one doctor covering 8 wards and A&E. Now you'll know better than me how common that is - but it certainly doesn't sound like a well run health service does it? 

We might be better than England - I've no Idea. I've no experience of what happens down there. But we certainly aren't in a better place than 13 years ago. 

I hear many anecdotes, Malky. This is your experience. I'd argue it certainly isn't the experience of the majority of users of the NHS here, as shown by the survey data. However, I'm not arguing this happened to you. There are a few things in your story that you describe that I suspect are not entirely accurate, but I accept what you've said is true from your point of view. I can't comment on GP waiting times, although as @Inanimate Carbon Rod, I'm married to a GP, so I can see things from her side.

I'll put some questions to you: Why do you think waiting times in general practice and hospitals are long? What could we do about this? How could we improve? What would be required for this in terms of staffing, funding, organisation etc?

This isn't a political matter, this is a societal matter. I appreciate you have some pretty entrenched views, but why don't we try to have a constructive discussion?

There's been a noticeable change of tack by Unionists because they know people actually can't compare how things are in England.

So they rubbish the Scottish Government's performance on Education and the NHS without any comparison to what's happening elsewhere.

Also in terms of education policy the reality is that no other political party is planning anything substantially different from the SNP - it's all sniping from the sidelines, peddling inaccuracies without any plan to make things different.

As for the NHS there are number of issues - systemic underfunding due to real terms cuts in the block grant; a population that is growing older but requires more health care; new technology and new medical practices costing most so demand outstrips supply.

Dead easy to snipe but ask yourself this - if the SNP were doing such a shite job then why do they win vote after vote?

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Also in terms of Education the reality is that no other political party is planning anything substantially different from the SNP - it's all sniping from the sidelines, pedalling inaccuracies without any plan to make things different.

On yer bike, mate...