When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone doesn't know the difference between a deficit and a debt. Scotland would own a large chunk of that debt in any divorce deal - you do realise that don't you? 
I do know the difference.

Meh we'll just walk away with NO deal, that's how you do these things is it not?

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

My dear mother told me earlier that despite voting NO in 2014, she's an all out YESer now. This is the breaking point for the union. If she's backing independence now, then everybody in Scotland is.

Is this because you'd threatened her to be the first victim on the Scottish Republican Army that you were proposing the other week?

31 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Is this because you'd threatened her to be the first victim on the Scottish Republican Army that you were proposing the other week?

Nah. I simply told her that my first target would be a pished up auld fanny on P&B. She couldn't wait to jump aboard.

On 23/12/2019 at 07:51, MixuFixit said:

Quite enjoying all these "this Christmas, reach out to a lonely pensioner" messages and thinking na, f**k the no voting Tory lot of them, away and enjoy your fray bentos and individual fruit trifle.

Is this the friendly voice of Nationalism speaking??

Shudder

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

My dim view of the old is based purely on cold hard statistical probability.

Eh?  That "cold hard statistical probability" means, with an aging population, we'll get more of the fuckers?

Edit:  Maybe with the Natter approach to education and health the idea is to raise the young and stupid and kill off the older and wise.  Nothing would surprise me.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I always feel a bit uneasy about attacks on GERS because I remember the SNP making a fuss about good figures around 2012-13.

I totally get the arguments about it being an incomplete picture but I dunno. To me the more powerful and obvious argument is just "Of course Scotland could be successfully independent". Nobody has so far identified the trait, unique to Scots, that would prevent this being the case.

Why leave yourself open to accusations of cherry picking statistics when the important message is "we'd be fine."?
I think what people are arguing for is a complete shake up of GERS to give a more realistic picture of Scotland's finances - as it stands now it is nothing more than an accounting exercise based on guesstimates and UK-wide data extrapolated to Scotland. That is not useful for any government beit within the UK or as an iScotland.

Nothing to disagree with, but if you want to use it as a thing to motivate the majority of folk who are intermittently at best engaged in politics, you have to protect yourself from "they fudged the figures".

Also what happens if they overhaul GERS and it still paints an unflattering picture? Change them again?

You then try to close the gap - it would at least help identity if there were any structural issues in the Scottish economy. 

That being said the economic argument against independence has also been a big red herring - any issue of Scottish deficits is entirely due to policies carried out under the Union - if the Scottish economy is not performing as of should it's down to those policies - nothing more nothing less.

For me is a political argument - about who controls the economic levers - about what economic policy is about. As far as I can see current UK economic policy seems entirely focused on looking after one small part of the UK to the detriment of the rest.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Nothing to disagree with, but if you want to use it as a thing to motivate the majority of folk who are intermittently at best engaged in politics, you have to protect yourself from "they fudged the figures".

Also what happens if they overhaul GERS and it still paints an unflattering picture? Change them again?

37 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You then try to close the gap - it would at least help identity if there were any structural issues in the Scottish economy. 

That being said the economic argument against independence has also been a big red herring - any issue of Scottish deficits is entirely due to policies carried out under the Union - if the Scottish economy is not performing as of should it's down to those policies - nothing more nothing less.

For me is a political argument - about who controls the economic levers - about what economic policy is about. As far as I can see current UK economic policy seems entirely focused on looking after one small part of the UK to the detriment of the rest.

There is no possibility of accurate figures ever being compiled whilst we are in the UK.

The capability to accurately differentiate Scotland's finances from rUK does not exist within the ONS. The seperate figures required are simply not collated.

More importantly there is not the political will to change it. The current setup suits Westminster very well and therefore they have zero interest in allowing the capture and production of more accurate figures. A nice wee stitch up and one that  the current SNP leadership now seem to struggle to challenge. 

There are no GERe figures, so we don't need GERs. It would be better to quietly downgrade and gradually bin them over a period of years.

At least it would do away with this daft big annual announcement and the subsequent britnat w@nkfest over self hate delusions of being too wee, poor and stupid.

33 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

There is no possibility of accurate figures ever being compiled whilst we are in the UK.

I'm hoping the SNP have a secret plan to do just that, or at least prove transparently why the GERS figures are incorrect. Otherwise NO will pish all over any imminent referendum.