When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By "drop-out" people meant she didn't get a first, instead she concentrated on the SNP, her only career before that was drumchapel law centre, the very bottom of the legal profession, she has little experience outside the SNP.

Joanna Cherry got a first and just handed Boris Johnson and his attorney general their collective arse on a plate in the Supreme Court

So she could probably help out.

10 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

What the Brigadoon Brigade keep forgetting is that there is a tiny number of Orangemen in Scotland and that their influence on Scottish politics is vanishingly small.  So stop with the, 'they dress up worse than us" shite and realise that a significant proportion of the electorate - enough to make the difference between 'yes' and 'no' - are put off by the constant shortbread-munching.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

What the Brigadoon Brigade keep forgetting is that there is a tiny number of Orangemen in Scotland and that their influence on Scottish politics is vanishingly small.  So stop with the, 'they dress up worse than us" shite and realise that a significant proportion of the electorate - enough to make the difference between 'yes' and 'no' - are put off by the constant shortbread-munching.

It was you that brought it up you old lush. Aye I'm sure there are loads of adults who decided their politics on whether some folk like to wear kilts on a march. 

Edited by dirty dingus

17 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Anyone that would use or think of the term 'constant shortbread-munching' is likely so far on one side of the independence debate that their opinion isn't going to be influenced.

Or to be so in the middle as to realise that dressing up as absolute fannies will be off-putting, maybe?

The people whose minds that the Natters have to change are not the toss-pots who wrap the St Andrew's Saltire around their shoulders and pretend they are Supermac.  They are there already.

Try and behave like normal humans and engage the electorate in a sensible way rather than launching constant haggis attacks as we saw in Edinburgh.

A potentially decent point about tarring everyone with the same brush critically undermined by self-defeating use of “Brigadoon Brigade”

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A potentially decent point about tarring everyone with the same brush critically undermined by self-defeating use of “Brigadoon Brigade”

Not really.  The problem with Scottish Independence is that it has become wrapped up in Tartanism.

Try and decouple a movement that has social and economical merit from jingoistic shortbread-tin rattling.  Try and step back from the odious SNP and create a non-partisan independence movement.  Something pluralistic.  Then you could be on to something.

Right now you're on to plums.

35 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Or to be so in the middle as to realise that dressing up as absolute fannies will be off-putting, maybe?

The people whose minds that the Natters have to change are not the toss-pots who wrap the St Andrew's Saltire around their shoulders and pretend they are Supermac.  They are there already.

Try and behave like normal humans and engage the electorate in a sensible way rather than launching constant haggis attacks as we saw in Edinburgh.

The number of people that are affected by a march that strongly it would sway the result of an Independence vote exists solely in your concern trolling. I’m sure if there was a mythical Independence march that somehow appealed to you, a staunch unionist you would still find a way to pick fault and create more colourful terms to insult their actions no matter how banal they were.

I'm always amused when folk talk about Tartanry and Brigadoon. As MixuFixit points out, it's usually unionists that use the terms. You'd think they'do be all for tartanry given it stems from Walter Scott's staging of the visit of George IV to Edinburgh, gaining royal approval along the way.

I think we can just ignore the bait of "Brigadoon". Only a deluded unionist would try to claim a push for Scottish independence in the modern world is connected to a mythical Scotland rising out of the mist just for one day and untouched by the modern world.

Tartanry and Brigadoon surfacing in Unionist anti-indepencence arguments springs from fear at the current state of affairs in their precious union and sadly, given many of these unionist voices are Scottish, a desire to portray Scotland as incapable of being independent and reeks of them marginalising Scotland and seeing it as needing the guiding hand of a greater power. Sad really.

45 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I generally find it is unionists most keen to ham up the shortbread hichty hochty image of a Scotsman.

Particularly the Flower of Scotland brigade who couldn't be less likely to send anyone homeward to think again. 

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I generally find it is unionists most keen to ham up the shortbread hichty hochty image of a Scotsman.

Really? I must have missed the "No Vote" gatherings where dressed in kilts and "see you Jimmy" hats, our faces painted in the style of a tiny racist Australian actor kidding on he's William Wallace, we danced along to the skirl of the bagpipes. 

I'm partial to a bit of shortbread right enough though. 

Oh and I have to agree with the post that said we need to ditch that Flower of Scotland rubbish. It doesn't celebrate anything at all about being Scottish.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Statistically, the polls have still not moved in anything like a meaningful, relevant or consistent manner.

People are still clutching at straws here.

The polls aren't moving because voters are entrenched Oaksoft. I wouldn't be at all surprised that if we ran the Scottish Independence referendum again we'd still get the exact same 55% - 45% outcome. Nationalists are reduced to hoping that "No" voting Scots die at a faster rate than "Yes" voting ones - that's how desperate their straw clutching is. 

10 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Really? I must have missed the "No Vote" gatherings where dressed in kilts and "see you Jimmy" hats, our faces painted in the style of a tiny racist Australian actor kidding on he's William Wallace, we danced along to the skirl of the bagpipes. 

I'm partial to a bit of shortbread right enough though. 

Oh and I have to agree with the post that said we need to ditch that Flower of Scotland rubbish. It doesn't celebrate anything at all about being Scottish.

Unionist gatherings are normally led by the holocaust denier in his Union Jack shirt. Needless to say it doesn’t encourage much engagement.

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Can feel the tears in your eyes whilst typing that hateful trash  😂

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Not quite the point I was making. I was more meaning unionists make a big deal out of tartan and shortbread etc precisely because their own sense of Scottishness is so superficial.

I've said numerous times that the tenor of the independence movement is increasingly ethno-nationalist so thanks for confirming it.  I can differentiate between Scottish voters and voters in Scotland and it's a shame you can't.  A shame, too, that you use the pro/for independence vote as some sort of tartan shibboleth when we'd all much prefer any independence consideration to be based on politics, economics and society.

Still, you are following your Brexit-loving cousins in using nostalgia as a political weapon.  What's your reasoning?  It worked (possibly) for them  so it should work for you?

I'd prefer a much more nuanced and pluralistic independence campaign.  Clearly you don't.  You want it to be about 'Scottishness' and this is not surprising but is also to your demerit.