Colkitto

When will indyref2 happen?

Indyref2  

570 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Free at the point of use higher education, prescriptions, no compulsory redundancy for the public sector workforce, viewing those who immigrate here as a good thing, treating violent crime and drug use as primarily public health rather than criminal problems.

They're not perfect (e.g. Scottish carbon emissions are actually marginally higher than rUK) but on these and other areas they are streets ahead of the UK government. On this evidence I see the loss of current constitutional restraints with great optimism.

I don't agree with today's Bin Men and Dinner Ladies funding tomorrows bankers and doctors. To me that isn't common sense. I actually think that the English system, which is essentially a graduate tax makes far more sense. The Scottish system means that we have to educate other Europeans who will never contribute to the Scottish tax take for free. It's actually a crazy idea. 

There's also no such thing as free prescriptions. They all have to be paid for even if it is indirectly through taxation. The money that the SNP put into this scheme which granted free prescriptions to the middle and upper classes - those on benefits were enjoying not paying for their prescriptions long before the SNP came into office - has diverted funds out of patient care and our of the NHS. 

Neither of those moves were common sense. They were a shameless attempt to buy middle class votes. 

I can't argue with you regarding public sector redundancies cause I know nothing about them either North or South of the border.

I'd argue that successive UK Governments have also viewed immigration as a good thing. It's the respective electorates who aren't so enlightened and I can tell you now the population of Scotland is no more open armed to "settlers" then those of our counterparts across the rest of the UK. 

And violent crime should always be dealt with as a criminal problem. I know the SNP are soft on crime but I don't think even they would treat a mass murderer to private healthcare rather than a prison sentence. 

Imagine being such a sad sack that you log onto a football forum for the sole reason to troll folk on a politics sub forum. And I bet Malky3 is the sort of fucking loser who actually thinks it's a cool thing to do. :lol:

What a sad sack.

I don't agree with today's Bin Men and Dinner Ladies funding tomorrows bankers and doctors. To me that isn't common sense. I actually think that the English system, which is essentially a graduate tax makes far more sense. The Scottish system means that we have to educate other Europeans who will never contribute to the Scottish tax take for free. It's actually a crazy idea. 
There's also no such thing as free prescriptions. They all have to be paid for even if it is indirectly through taxation. The money that the SNP put into this scheme which granted free prescriptions to the middle and upper classes - those on benefits were enjoying not paying for their prescriptions long before the SNP came into office - has diverted funds out of patient care and our of the NHS. 
Neither of those moves were common sense. They were a shameless attempt to buy middle class votes. 
I can't argue with you regarding public sector redundancies cause I know nothing about them either North or South of the border.
I'd argue that successive UK Governments have also viewed immigration as a good thing. It's the respective electorates who aren't so enlightened and I can tell you now the population of Scotland is no more open armed to "settlers" then those of our counterparts across the rest of the UK. 
And violent crime should always be dealt with as a criminal problem. I know the SNP are soft on crime but I don't think even they would treat a mass murderer to private healthcare rather than a prison sentence. 
YipFB_IMG_1564506879225.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

None of this has anything to do with Independence.

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:
5 hours ago, Malky3 said:
The UK retained a veto and kept our own fiscal levers. This allowed us to escape the worst effects of the 2008 banking crisis in a way that Iceland and Ireland couldn't. We were even able to help bail out the Irish economy by borrowing cheaply and lending to Ireland at a profit. 

Iceland and Ireland are now doing better than the UK.

Rubbish!

Their economies, which tanked after the banking crisis, are now growing at a quicker rate but that doesn't mean they are doing better than the UK - which is still the worlds fifth richest economy. 

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

None of this has anything to do with Independence.

I'm responding to another poster. I know the Scottish Education system left you disadvantaged somewhat, but please try to keep up. 

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Rubbish!

Their economies, which tanked after the banking crisis, are now growing at a quicker rate but that doesn't mean they are doing better than the UK - which is still the worlds fifth richest economy. 

Have a quick peek at GDP per capita figures.

I'm responding to another poster. I know the Scottish Education system left you disadvantaged somewhat, but please try to keep up. 

😂

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Have a quick peek at GDP per capita figures.

😂

I did. I also looked at Unemployment figures. I don't think there is much about Ireland that I'd want Scotland to copy. 

I did. I also looked at Unemployment figures. I don't think there is much about Ireland that I'd want Scotland to copy. 

So how does Ireland's GDP per capita compare to ours?

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
Spelling

Rubbish!
Iceland GDP per capita $67,500
Ireland GDP per capita $76,098
UK GDP per capita $44,177

You're living in the past.

These are well rehearsed arguments against universalism but they're not very effective simply because we're able to witness the effects of high fees in England compared to Scotland and Europe in general where free at the point of use, or nominal fees are the norm. Similarly I don't see the idea I'm paying tax to educate someone from Sweden as a bad thing at all as until brexit a British student could do the same anywhere in the EU with little obstacles. This is a good thing for all sorts of reasons and after brexit I hope we can get back to it as soon as possible. The English model is an outlier that as far as I know is already teetering on the break even point as so few graduates can earn enough to pay anything back. Further academic isolationism won't help this. The same arguments apply to universal free at the point of use prescriptions.

You are entitled to your view on violence being solely treated as a criminal matter, but the Violence Reduction Unit success in taking a different approach is being copied the world over. Not in London for some reason.

These are just a few examples of things done plain better in Scotland that brexit and England's fixation on inflicting conservative governments on itself threaten. I'll vote yes any day to preserve and enhance this kind of thinking.

Just now, Malky3 said:

BIG team found. 

24 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

image.thumb.png.b70227a88d4acfeee6a5a61a8804d0c3.png

Has anyone tried to point this out to Professor Lickspittle or did the line break down when they tried?

Rubbish!
The average unemployed Irish resident is a little better off financially than millions of 'employed' British residents.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I like how no voters here and Tories down south always trot out the line 'Scotland had it's chance and wanted to keep the Union'.  As if absolutely nothing has happened/changed in UK or European politics in the last half decade.

Utter fucking simpletons, and I can't stress that enough.  The logic of people requiring immediate lobotomies. 

Are you saying that people A, can change their mind and B, may have realised they were lied too?

With any luck, there won't need to be an "Indy Ref 2".

The English will see sense - yeah, I know: that'd be a first - get fed up with the whining and the "Waaaaah! I want! Not fair!" scheidt and tell Scotand to get tae f***, repatriating all Scots north of the border and building a wall. Then the English could repatriate all Scousers to Dublin, which would lessen the whining from that direction too!   

f**k sake mate. You're a bit simple