When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Would an Independent Scotland be one of the financial centres in the world? The financial sector in London was worth £408 Bn to the UK economy in 2016. 

Theres loads of other examples whether you want to talk about manufacturing, construction or the service sector. Indeed the UK economy on the whole was so diverse that when the price of oil collapsed it was seen as a positive for the UK economy. 

What, an independent Scotland wouldn't have a manufacturing, construction or service sector in its economy? We already have these sectors- I asked for examples of economic activity the UK has that Scotland doesn't.

Why wouldn't/couldn't Edinburgh be a top financial centre? In fact it would probably have been expanding at a great rate if Scotland was already independent as the sector would have gladly accepted the companies leaving London before Brexit has even happened. It would also have saved companies thousands  relocating staff to Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Milan, all of who would now be generating money and spending it here.

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Ok great. So the SNP policy on currency is sterlingisation. How would that equate with greater fiscal control? 

Missing the point entirely there. That's SNP policy. In an independent Scotland the electorate could vote in a party whose policies didn't include that particular. 

That's greater opportunity of fiscal control and democratic accountability. 

As it stands now voters in Scotland get the policies and governments on the whole that England votes for. 

Would an Independent Scotland be one of the financial centres in the world? The financial sector in London was worth £408 Bn to the UK economy in 2016.  Theres loads of other examples whether you want to talk about manufacturing, construction or the service sector. Indeed the UK economy on the whole was so diverse that when the price of oil collapsed it was seen as a positive for the UK economy. 

I fact checked this

And the £408 Billion appears to be the total for London’s entire economy as opposed to just the financial sector. It should be noted that this is a 2016 figure so won’t show the post Brexit referendum damage

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05795/SN05795.pdf

In per capita terms The South East of England was a distant second with Scotland close behind in 3rd and Eastern England in 4th

London’s economy inflates the UK average so much that Scotland is generally about 5% short of the average, which sounds less damning when you consider that most of England is between 15% and 25% below average.

But it’s worth noting that there are massive variations within these large areas

At the next level down Scotland has one area in the top 10 and one in the bottom 10

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.84fb9439a058a0126379532688b941b2.jpg

2 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

What, an independent Scotland wouldn't have a manufacturing, construction or service sector in its economy? We already have these sectors- I asked for examples of economic activity the UK has that Scotland doesn't.

Why wouldn't/couldn't Edinburgh be a top financial centre? In fact it would probably have been expanding at a great rate if Scotland was already independent as the sector would have gladly accepted the companies leaving London before Brexit has even happened. It would also have saved companies thousands  relocating staff to Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Milan, all of who would now be generating money and spending it here.

Don't be ridiculous. Edinburgh would never be a financial centre in the way that London is. I've seen unrealistic goals before but that is one of the biggest! Even the SNP haven't punted that as a goal. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Missing the point entirely there. That's SNP policy. In an independent Scotland the electorate could vote in a party whose policies didn't include that particular. 

That's greater opportunity of fiscal control and democratic accountability. 

As it stands now voters in Scotland get the policies and governments on the whole that England votes for. 

So what currency would you use in the event of Independence? Do you think the Scottish Labour Party or the Scottish Conservatives would do anything different to sterlingisation? The Greens say they would support Scotland having it's own currency but the same party want to stop extracting oil from the North Sea! 

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

Malky3 does NOT live in Scotand. Quit feeding the WUM ffs.

Yes I do

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I fact checked this

And the £408 Billion appears to be the total for London’s entire economy as opposed to just the financial sector. It should be noted that this is a 2016 figure so won’t show the post Brexit referendum damage

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05795/SN05795.pdf

In per capita terms The South East of England was a distant second with Scotland close behind in 3rd and Eastern England in 4th

London’s economy inflates the UK average so much that Scotland is generally about 5% short of the average, which sounds less damning when you consider that most of England is between 15% and 25% below average.

But it’s worth noting that there are massive variations within these large areas

At the next level down Scotland has one area in the top 10 and one in the bottom 10

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.84fb9439a058a0126379532688b941b2.jpg

Thank you for proving the point. 

1 hour ago, AUFC90 said:

Being the 3rd richest area the UK means,in unionist eyes, that we are being subsidised.

Never mind the fact that Scotland has subsidised every shite hole from Sunderland to Burnely for decades.

As topcat has helpfully provided proof of, Sunderland and Burnley have subsidised the shithole that is East and North Ayrshire for many years. 

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Why's that?

You need to ask why Edinburgh will never be as big a financial centre as the City of London? I know there is a drug problem in Scotland but I didn't think the delusions had quite grown to that extent. 

Even the outgoing RBS chief has said that if Scotland was to become Independent the SNP would want RBS to move to London because the bank is TOO BIG for Scotlands economy. 

Too big to be bailed out.

Anyway for someone who a few pages back said it was a "shame to see such poor standards of political discourse" this outburst to my, I thought, reasonable questions proves you are not worth anymore interaction. Ya walloper.

Just now, The Skelpit Lug said:

Too big to be bailed out.

Anyway for someone who a few pages back said it was a "shame to see such poor standards of political discourse" this outburst to my, I thought, reasonable questions proves you are not worth anymore interaction. Ya walloper.

Yes too big to be bailed out - rather obviously. As they would have been in 2008 had we been Independent back then too when the shit really hit the fan with two Scottish banks. 

Those of us old enough to know our history will also remember that Edinburgh wasn't even the biggest financial centre in Scotland. 

11 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Yes too big to be bailed out - rather obviously. As they would have been in 2008 had we been Independent back then too when the shit really hit the fan with two Scottish banks. 

Those of us old enough to know our history will also remember that Edinburgh wasn't even the biggest financial centre in Scotland. 

What shit hit the Scottish banks m8?

IIRC the Scottish banks simply recieved a share of the £500bn UK bank bailout package though the barnett formula.

You need to ask why Edinburgh will never be as big a financial centre as the City of London? I know there is a drug problem in Scotland but I didn't think the delusions had quite grown to that extent. 
Even the outgoing RBS chief has said that if Scotland was to become Independent the SNP would want RBS to move to London because the bank is TOO BIG for Scotlands economy. 
Edinburgh is already the fourth largest financial centre in Europe, you ignorant twat.

On 10/08/2019 at 14:57, Baxter Parp said:
On 10/08/2019 at 13:52, Malky3 said:

Edinburgh is already the fourth largest financial centre in Europe, you ignorant twat.

Shite! 

Luxemburg

London

Geneva

Frankfurt

Paris

Zurich

Amsterdam

Dublin

Monaco

Munich

Hamburg

FFS even tiny Jersey is more highly ranked than Edinburgh. 

You are ignorant , delusional and damned stupid. I pity you

8 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Shite!

Amsterdam

Dublin

Munich

Hamburg

Shite.

Shite! 
Luxemburg
London
Geneva
Frankfurt
Paris
Zurich
Amsterdam
Dublin
Monaco
Munich
Hamburg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Edinburgh

Edinburgh is the second largest financial centre in the United Kingdom, after the City of London, and the fourth in Europe by equity assets.

Fuckwit.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Edinburgh

Edinburgh is the second largest financial centre in the United Kingdom, after the City of London, and the fourth in Europe by equity assets.

Fuckwit.

I reckon he's using this, but even then, he's still wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Financial_Centres_Index