Colkitto

When will indyref2 happen?

Indyref2  

580 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

We've had two major referendums in this country within the last five years. Nicola Sturgeon refuses to abide by the outcome of either. Her arrogance and pig headedness is breathtaking.

We've also had an election in which Scotland voted to hold an independence referendum in this parliament.  She is doing what the voters instructed her to do.  Scotland also voted remain, so she is abiding by their views too, and didn't declare independence after indyref1, so a fail all round for you I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Why are yoons so incredibly angry?

Cause they know they're on the wrong side of history. and that they're likely to lose too.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm not unhappy they're doing it but really unless something budges on Brexit before then I think we'll lose again.

Support for remain in Scotland was 72% last week.  If its independence in the EU, which it will be, there's no danger we lose.  Imo guaranteed yes vote, that's why WM won't allow a vote as they know that too.  It will also become blindingly obvious that economically being out of the EU is hugely damaging.

Support for remain in Scotland was 72% last week.  If its independence in the EU, which it will be, there's no danger we lose.  Imo guaranteed yes vote, that's why WM won't allow a vote as they know that too.  It will also become blindingly obvious that economically being out of the EU is hugely damaging.

What is your single sentence counter to "Scotland trades more with rUK than the EU?"

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

Being out of the EU will most certainly be economically damaging but will we actually leave? if we don't will there still be indyref2 ?  I don't see much has changed from the FM'S statement today. her hands are tied until Westminster sort their shit out.

What is your single sentence counter to "Scotland trades more with rUK than the EU?"
Answer. Ireland trades more with rUK than EU and is doing absolutely fine. Oh and btw has no oil.

On the other hand I think it is also perfectly legitimate to argue that Scotland voted in 2014 to remain part of the UK and as a consequence of that they must abide by the result of any UK wide referendum, even if the end result does not reflect how people in Scotland voted. 

I hear this argument alot from people in the pro-uk/leave camp. If we must accept the UK wide referendum then why does Gibraltar and Northern Ireland get a special deal?

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

"Scotland trades more with the EU through rUK than it does with rUK only."

Answer. Ireland trades more with rUK than EU and is doing absolutely fine. Oh and btw has no oil.

Ireland is projected to lose 2-6% of GDP depending on the flavour of Brexit. 2008 crash was at the 2% end.

Ireland is projected to lose 2-6% of GDP depending on the flavour of Brexit. 2008 crash was at the 2% end.
But that's not the question you asked is it?

But that's not the question you asked is it?

No but it is why your answer was not persuasive.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Trade with the UK will not cease after independence.

Should the UK leave the EU it will do so with a trade deal, this means we can have frictionless trade, the EU will be the bigger partner in this trade deal so the terms would be favourable to Scotland.

5 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Being out of the EU will most certainly be economically damaging but will we actually leave? if we don't will there still be indyref2 ?  I don't see much has changed from the FM'S statement today. her hands are tied until Westminster sort their shit out.

We will definitely leave, or many politicians in England will pay with their job, and some maybe with more than that.  If we don't there is no mandate for indyref2 so it wouldn't happen.

Trade with the UK will not cease after independence.

Trade with the EU will not cease after Brexit.

No but it is why your answer was not persuasive.
Seemed fairly persuasive to me. Ireland is doing and will do just fine. As would Scotland if more people believed in her.

Seemed fairly persuasive to me. Ireland is doing and will do just fine. As would Scotland if more people believed in her.

A Brexit potentially 3x as impactful as 2008 is not my idea of Ireland doing fine.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Trade with the EU will not cease after Brexit.

No but will be on less favourable terms for the UK than right now.  We have a choice of being in the club with the great deal or in the club with the shit deal.