When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:

All evidence suggests we don't want a referendum just now

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642

Trying to call one during Brexit negotiations is amateur hour from Sturgeon.

Why would calling #scotref before Brexit is concluded and after we would know the probable outcome be amateur?

NS would be in a far better negotiating position with WM during this time. Whereas WM would be weakened with their negotiating position in regards to both us and the EU.

This is the exact scenario that May doesn't want to be in. That for all, should be clear to see.

Can someone post a link to the video of Ruth Davidson saying that all that was required to call a referendum was a majority vote in Hollyrood.  It was from an election night broadcast in 2011, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

43 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Should have called their bluff and demanded a quicker time table in order that the UK can go into negotiations knowing fully their own position. Give them a few months tops. Would have guaranteed a No vote if you ask me.

That's actually, from Westminster's perspective, a magnificent idea.

Now you've thrown it out there, I cannot for the life of me understand why she hasn't done it. "Fine, have a referendum, but have it by July so we know where we stand with Brexit negotiations". 

I'm sure it would have Sturgeon and most firm Yes voters gnashing their teeth, but I don't think too many undecideds would have an issue with it.

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

Now you've thrown it out there, I cannot for the life of me understand why she hasn't done it. "Fine, have a referendum, but have it by July so we know where we stand with Brexit negotiations". 

I'm sure it would have Sturgeon and most firm Yes voters gnashing their teeth, but I don't think too many undecideds would have an issue with it.

Seemed obvious to me. The whole thing is a giant game of chicken. That would have put the truck firmly on the Yes side of the motorway.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

No. From a yes perspective that would have done fine as well. Sitting at ~50% going into the start of the campaign and still not knowing anything about how brexits unfolding, I think yes would have had a good shout.

Todays affront to democracy by May, is only because they know this time they are going to lose.

They are just stalling for time. But that is this Tory govt all over.

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

No. From a yes perspective that would have done fine as well. Sitting at ~50% going into the start of the campaign and still not knowing anything about how brexits unfolding, I think yes would have had a good shout.

Todays affront to democracy by May, is only because they know this time they are going to lose.

They are just stalling for time. But that is this Tory govt all over.

I'm not so sure. From my perspective it would have looked like strong governance and that would have swayed a lot of the floating voters.

May just handed Nicola Sturgeon the greatest gift she could ever ask for 

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/03/16/may-just-handed-nicola-sturgeon-the-greatest-gift

The only way Theresa May could be more useful to Nicola Sturgeon is if she constructed a set of strings, attached them to her limbs and handed them to the Scottish first minister so she could use her as a nationalist puppet

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'm not so sure. From my perspective it would have looked like strong governance and that would have swayed a lot of the floating voters.

Not words I would associate with this brexit govt so far.

Dithering incompetents is probably 2 more suitable words.

26 minutes ago, Crossbill said:

Can someone post a link to the video of Ruth Davidson saying that all that was required to call a referendum was a majority vote in Hollyrood.  It was from an election night broadcast in 2011, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Don't have that, got this though -

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.7a047ee6ff30b2708b995768cc230aa3.JPG

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

Not words I would associate with this brexit govt so far.

Dithering incompetents is probably 2 more suitable words.

Yes, which makes it even more surprising that they missed an open goal. It's almost as if they are trying to make things as difficult for themselves as possible.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

You clearly have issues.

Why?

I didn't say it would be strong governance. I said it would look like it. Which it would. It would be presented as May giving Scots what they want but ensuring it was on her terms. Now they are left looking like fools who have no control over any of the situations they are dealing with.

1) You can't get the legislation passed through both Parliaments now for a referendum to be held in the summer.

2) Sturgeon hasn't demanded that a referendum be held as soon as possible, so it's a straw man claim really. 

3) May has no bluff to call, because she's absolutely shiting it and an absolutely terrible politician. 

The back of a fag packet idea then holds as much credibility as when wee Wendy Alexander screeched "Bring it On!!!"; only to get knifed by her party for being a complete and utter moron. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

1) You can't get the legislation passed through both Parliaments now for a referendum to be held in the summer.

2) Sturgeon hasn't demanded that a referendum be held as soon as possible, so it's a straw man claim really. 

3) May has no bluff to call, because she's absolutely shiting it and an absolutely terrible politician. 

The back of a fag packet idea then holds as much credibility as when wee Wendy Alexander screeched "Bring it On!!!"; only to get knifed by her party for being a complete and utter moron. 

1) I said as soon as possible.

2) That's kind of my point. It's taking Sturgeons demand and dealing with it on Mays terms. Sturgeon couldn't realistically knock back a referendum if one was agreed to.

3) May only has bluff, she has absolutely no hand to play at all.

Edited by Ross.