When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Denying one whilst the government are halfway through negotiations seems perfectly sensible. Fighting on two fronts would be stupid.

I also think the SNP would benefit by waiting until after. Why hold a referendum before you know the final terms? It's madness. I suspect Sturgeon knew this was likely to occur.

1 minute ago, Sooky said:

Denying one whilst the government are halfway through negotiations seems perfectly sensible. Fighting on two fronts would be stupid.

I also think the SNP would benefit by waiting until after. Why hold a referendum before you know the final terms? It's madness. I suspect Sturgeon knew this was likely to occur.

Its an affront to democracy.

2 minutes ago, Sooky said:

It doesn't matter if it makes sense to her, she's just denied an entire country it's democracy.

I think this is exactly what Sturgeon wanted. Westminster making decisions for Scotland, even if the Scottish Government have a majority mandate to hold a referendum. Doesn't look good for Tess.

The Brexit timetable says the deal should be done by March 2019. What's wrong with holding the referendum then?

3 minutes ago, Sooky said:

You don't get to choose when Scotland exercises its right to self-determination; sit down. 

Membership of the single market is already ruled out. Any final terms are going to be well short of the minimum the Scottish Government (and I'd suspect the Scottish people) would be willing to accept.

As for May, intransigence now in stopping a referendum only makes it harder to win one for Unionism later.

3 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Everyone on here knows that you're a wee Tory c**t.  There is really no need to emphasise it.  I only hope that it's an act or an exageration and that you're not as bad as that IRL.

Anyway, the battle lines have been drawn.  No one can deny that all the SNP government is trying to do is fullfil a manifesto commitment that was very, very clear.  They were elected having presented that manifesto and are now being denied the opportunity to fulfill it my a woman whose party got 38% of the UK wide vote and a hell of a lot lower percentage of the vote in Scotland.

For what it's worth, I was taking it from the perspective of May. Personally, i'd rather it was held sooner rather than later as I think it's easier to win the earlier it is.

I don't deny the fact that there has been a big enough change in circumstances to have another though.

Everyone on here knows that you're a wee Tory c**t.  There is really no need to emphasise it.  I only hope that it's an act or an exageration and that you're not as bad as that IRL.

Christ, if you think I'm bad...

I'd say I leaned more to the left of the party than the right!

Also, it was only 37%. But cheers for the slight bump!

All we have had is a very short BBC interview, the article even states that May didn't say whether she was ruling out holding a referendum at some point in the future (i.e. once Brexit has taken place and things are clearer). A lot of Nats getting their knickers in a twist before May has even spoken in Parliament.

I would imagine she will say that a referendum is possible, but only after Brexit is out the way. Which anyone with a modicum of sense would agree with.

In fairness, when you read the text, it's quite vague. More in the 'Brexit means Brexit' mold. I can't tell if she just felt she had to respond someway and somehow, but she hasn't actually said no referendum definitively in the time frame ScotGov wants, meanwhile her vague intransigence becomes a hostage of fortune at the SNP conference this weekend.