When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Big problems to address:

1. Currency

2. Referendum fatigue

3. Implacable No voting intentions of the demographic most likely to turn out- pensioners.

Crack even 2 out of those 3 and the vote can be different this time around. Hope there's goign to be hard, well reasoned info on currency. Someone wisely said that you don't win a referendum on dreams.

Someone who didn't pay attention to the Brexit referendum...

24 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Patrick harvie confirmed greens will support the referendum

Labour have both confirmed and unconfirmed their support.

Good on Sturgeon though - on Empire Day of all days.

A wee pic to cheer up Kincardine...

english empire commonwealth1.gif

Did Jim Traynor pen that letter?

Jim Traynor can't write.
Biggest threat to the yes campaign is folk being sick and tired of referendums and uncertainty. Was speaking about the potential of an independence referendum last week and my response was right now, I've no idea. I don't know what I'd be voting to leave or voting to become. Hopefully it's clearer in 18-24 months and I'll still just vote yes anyway. Just cos freedom and that, ken?

I personally think that this is a mistake. I don't see there being any groundswell of opinion in favour of independence in light of Brexit. A lot of Yes voters seem to be saying they're in the 'cannae be arsed with another referendum' camp this time around. 

Edited by The OP

Big problems to address:

2. Referendum fatigue

This might not be a big problem for the YES side given the reaction after losing the last time. We were supposed to go back in our box then.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

What frustrates me about the likes of Davidson, Dugdale and Rennie is that for all the push the idea of the SNP having one agenda which takes precedence over Scotland's well-being, they are exactly the same. Do none of them stop for even a minute and consider whether leaving the UK and remaining in the EU might not be better for Scotland overall? Don't they ask themselves why it might not be in Scotland's interests to have no say over absolutely anything? All politics is bollocks.

Short answer no. They are ideological UK nationalists at any cost. That's why their wringing their hands about "divisiveness" is a lot of shite. Their nationalism is just as "divisive" and designed to pitch the Union Jack against the saltire.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Big problems to address:

1. Currency

2. Referendum fatigue

3. Implacable No voting intentions of the demographic most likely to turn out- pensioners.

Crack even 2 out of those 3 and the vote can be different this time around. Hope there's goign to be hard, well reasoned info on currency. Someone wisely said that you don't win a referendum on dreams.

1. The evil EU will force the Euro on us, or Putin's subs will come ashore with the Ruble.

2. Fatigue affects the old/ no voters disproportionately.

3. See 2.

4 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Big problems to address:

1. Currency

2. Referendum fatigue

The deficit will be a big issue too I imagine.

Be very interesting to see how things pan out for Catalonia and their referendum in September,the spanish courts have just suspended former Catalan president Artur Mas from public office for 2 years for organising the September referendum. Thats is only gonna stoke nationalist fervour in Catalonia. The Basque government in Bilbao are looking on with interest.

Wales talking about an independence ref as well. (From the Guardian)

15:33

Leanne Wood, the leader of Plaid Cymru, has said that if Scotland votes for independence, Wales should have a vote on independence too. She said in a statement:

The announcement from the Scottish government today shows that any failure by the UK Government to recognise Scotland’s interests could lead to the end of the UK as a state.

In that situation, Wales would need to decide its own future.

A national debate to explore all of the options, including that of an independent Wales, must take place in Wales when that scenario becomes a realistic one.

If the UK government’s Brexit negotiation also leads to the Welsh national interest being overlooked, support will grow for greater control of our own affairs in Wales.

Now is a good time for people in Wales to think about what is in our own national interests and how we can best unlock our country’s potential in this new constitutional scenario.

Edited by Jambomo
I don't think its a serious claim though!

9 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Big problems to address:

1. Currency

2. Referendum fatigue

There's also the English people living in Scotland (circa 300-400,000)  Apparently they voted 80% no and 20% yes in the last indy referendum.

I don't know how the other non Scots voted.

Edited by FlyerTon

Just now, FlyerTon said:

There's also the English people living in Scotland (circa 300-400,000)  Apparently they voted 80% no and 20% yes in the last indy referendum.

I'm don't know how the other non Scots voted.

That 80/20 split was all other UK born/ Scots residents.

Wales talking about an independence ref as well. (From the Guardian)
15:33
Leanne Wood, the leader of Plaid Cymru, has said that if Scotland votes for independence, Wales should have a vote on independence too. She said in a statement:

The announcement from the Scottish government today shows that any failure by the UK Government to recognise Scotland’s interests could lead to the end of the UK as a state.

In that situation, Wales would need to decide its own future.

A national debate to explore all of the options, including that of an independent Wales, must take place in Wales when that scenario becomes a realistic one.

If the UK government’s Brexit negotiation also leads to the Welsh national interest being overlooked, support will grow for greater control of our own affairs in Wales.

Now is a good time for people in Wales to think about what is in our own national interests and how we can best unlock our country’s potential in this new constitutional scenario.

Credit for somehow trying to spin this considering that a) support for Welsh independence is minuscule in comparison and b) they voted to leave the EU

Well according to Sky news, so far.....

We'll get kicked out of NATO, the Referendum won't be fair because no one will know what we're voting for (Brexit anyone?), It's divisive (Brexit anyone?), there might be a hard border, Sturgeon was pushed into it by Salmond and she doesn't think that it's winnable anyway.

Thanks for that :blink:.