When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I've just discovered that my office appears to be as well. Very depressing, especially since one is Polish and another is Greek. Also have the most bitter "You're all racists" Englishwoman as well. I think I'll need a new job if this carries on.

Hope you asked her why so many of her countryman are "all racists" for voting to leave the EU.

I've just discovered that my office appears to be as well. Very depressing, especially since one is Polish and another is Greek. Also have the most bitter "You're all racists" Englishwoman as well. I think I'll need a new job if this carries on.

I work with a good few elderly well to do posh snooty architects, died in the wool Rule Britannia types.

They're no taking it well.

But by calling it before Brexit, she can make the argument that it's between two uncertainties. Last time, people voted for the status quo. This way, they can't.

Aye, another good angle for arguing for independence. Can't help but feel a deal with the EU is a trump card waiting to be played.

I would have thought maybe 10 years before going again.

The nightmare scenario would be another no vote, combined with a hard Brexit and the Tories continue to win power for the foreseeable future and the indy question kicked into the long grass for quite a while.

Edited by FlyerTon

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

My gut feeling is that it's been called too soon - surely, calling one after Brexit would make it a slam dunk, no? Whilst I'd personally vote Yes again, I can't help but feel a lot of people across the Yes/No/Don't Know spectrum won't want more uncertainty.

Of course, looking at it from another angle, calling it before the UK leaves the EU would probably mean some sort of succession deal is in place for Scotland, hence the decision to hold it before Brexit?

We were promised the earth before the first referendum and likely swung many unsure voters to vote No and we got bugger all. 

Personally think we should have went baws oot and held it not long afterwards. Tories wouldn't be able to help themselves as they'd be up to their eyes with Brexit and getting it from all sides down there before even considering Scotland. When that becomes blatantly clear then voters up here would see how valued Scottish people are to Westminister. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

I work with a good few elderly well to do posh snooty architects, died in the wool Rule Britannia types.

They're no taking it well.

They're the aresholes who fucked it last time. They'll be fucking deid anyway. 

Just now, FlyerTon said:

The nightmare scenario would be another no vote, the Tories continue to win power for the foreseeable future and the indy question kicked into the long grass for quite a while.

I think it would have been at least 10 years had there been no Brexit but lets face it, it is a massive mistake and if independence can give us another way, then I can see why she is calling it now.

I'm not really up for this referendum tbh, and whilst I am a firm Yes voter, it worries me that others feel the same and won't engage with it much. I do feel it is still a bit too early but who knows?

5 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Don't be f*ckin stupid!

Years too late for that post.

4 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I can't see Theresa May granting one whilst she's in the middle of negotiating Article 50. I sense Sturgeon is fully aware of this though and wants to use it as ammunition if May says she needs to wait until post-March 2019.

"Granting one"?  Theresa May has no moral authority to withhold another referendum.  She has a majority in Westminster based on 38% of the U.K. wide vote and f**k all mandate in Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I can't see Theresa May granting one whilst she's in the middle of negotiating Article 50. I sense Sturgeon is fully aware of this though and wants to use it as ammunition if May says she needs to wait until post-March 2019.

The Tories should have called her bluff and stated they'd allow a referendum after the conclusion of negotiations. Now sturgeon has the upper hand. 

What if negotiations take less than the two year period? I think this might be possible given the uk has said they don't want more poles in the country. If they take a year, the polls might not have s high enough  percentage yes for it to be worth holding.

5 minutes ago, Chris_DK said:

We were promised the earth before the first referendum and likely swung many unsure voters to vote No and we got bugger all. 

Personally think we should have went baws oot and held it not long afterwards. Tories wouldn't be able to help themselves as they'd be up to their eyes with Brexit and getting it from all sides down there before even considering Scotland. When that becomes blatantly clear then voters up here would see how valued Scottish people are to Westminister. 

At least bugger all would have been the status quo, we got worse than bugger all..............

6 minutes ago, FlyerTon said:

The nightmare scenario would be another no vote, combined with a hard Brexit and the Tories continue to win power for the foreseeable future and the indy question kicked into the long grass for quite a while.

I think it's shit or bust time. If we lose we will be under the Westminster parliament's thumb. We've already had 300 years of that so fck it, bring it on.

(apologies for using political language)

You really are slavering pish with that statement. Scotland independent and Ireland reunited, your precious union is almost over

Ok, lets play this one out.
Fast forward to summer 2019.
Scotland votes No again, to leaving the UK.
The possibility of a United Ireland remains distant because of a nervous reluctance from the Irish government to even consider the question.

How will you fill your days then Bob? Think I'll probably have sacked P&B before then, the level of wailing, tears and snotters on here is going to be f*ckin unbearable!

"Granting one"?  Theresa May has no moral authority to withhold another referendum.  She has a majority in Westminster based on 38% of the U.K. wide vote and f**k all mandate in Scotland.

It was Sturgeon herself who said she'd ask the UK government for permission. Think you're getting a tad wound up on wording, here...