When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Gordon brown is the best that British nationalism and labour has then they're in real trouble. He continually gets rolled out and referred to as a big beast of politics when most folk aren't interested in what he has to say. 

What a busy afternoon @Razzy has had. Nine of my posts in this thread (from 2022) red-dotted in under a minute. 

He must be the Yoon speed-reading champ to have found, read & reacted so quickly.

It's such a shame that he only appears to be operating a dotting account, rather than actually wanting to say anything.. I'm sure he would be a fantastic addition to the (admittedly low) standard of Yoon debate

Sad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2023 at 18:57, Gringo said:

Well, to answer the question, indyref2 isn’t going to happen anytime in the near or medium term future.

That's also how I see it.

The Supreme Court were always going to rule the way they did, and their ruling killed it off for a long time.

Any illegal, wildcat or plebiscite referenda won't be legitimate in the eyes of the international community.

Edited by Jenny Geddes Stool

SNP* to stand in the 2024 GE on the basis of a de facto referendum, according to Yousaf.

*Unclear what role the Greens, Alba, SSP, etc. will play in it.

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65998210)

Three polls so far this month have went:

43% Y, 39% N, 11% DK - FON/Alba*

46% Y, 47% N, 7% DK - Savanta/Scotsman

44% Y, 50% N, 6% DK - Panelbase/Sunday Times

*Poll is half the size of the other ones, and has a much larger margin for error.

So, probably fair to put Indy at around 47 or 48%. The Times and Alba are hardly impartial sources. Neither is the Scotsman but it sits in the middle so we can roll with it.

With the SNP far from their most popular heights, will they be successful in bringing support over 50%?

As said in posts above, it won't hold any legal standing and many global powers will ignore it, but it could be significant if Yes wins...

Interesting times ahead.

Edited by ClydeTon

13 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

As said in posts above, it won't hold any legal standing and many global powers will ignore it, but it could be significant if Yes wins...

Well they're already ignoring the UK as a whole these days I suppose.

It seems that the SNP are held to an impossibly higher standard relative to other parties in the UK. An unobtainable standard that they must achieve for there to be any hope of an independent Scotland. A narrative very much created by the British propaganda machine and their army of yoon trolls in Scotland. They've succeeded in making independence permanently unachievable. While we forever continue to be pumped in every orphosis by the big ben boaby.

16 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Looking in from outside a bit, I honestly feel its dead on its feet now. 

Feels like the movement and issue has passed us by and Westminter will slap anything more down after the court rule last time.

All it took was a mate with a hammer and a media crew that would blame it on the SNP and we're all back in our place.

Despite Humza's announcement re. a de-facto referendum, he has (after questioning by reporters) effectively admitted it just to get a mandate to demand indyref2. Or, in other words, the SNP's strategy in elections since 2014.

Seems to me like a desperate attempt to win back voters they may lose. He also, stupidly, seems to care more about the number of seats than % of votes, when to comes to the mandate...

I really hope the SNP get booted square in the baws in the next election so Humza gets to f**k and a competent leader comes back in.

Better yet, the SNP Career Politicians all get to f**k and independence returns to being a civil activism thing, but we all know that won't happen.

Either way, we can all put the pitchforks/party tricks away, nothings happening.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Better yet, the SNP Career Politicians all get to f**k and independence returns to being a civil activism thing

The problem with this is it is quite close to what Labour folk used to say then when it happened they realised that with the career politicians out they were in the electoral wilderness. I dont disagree with the principle but there's no chance of getting a referendum if the SNP aren't the biggest party in Scotland.

The leadership campaign and Murrell and Sturgeon's questioning by the police have definitely seen it fall from public view this year so far. The anti-Indy Scottish media will be rubbing their hands.  They'll be expecting loads of Indy voters to ditch the movement and vote for their beloved Labour.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The leadership campaign and Murrell and Sturgeon's questioning by the police have definitely seen it fall from public view this year so far. The anti-Indy Scottish media will be rubbing their hands.  They'll be expecting loads of Indy voters to ditch the movement and vote for their beloved Labour.

Yeah agree this. I'm not sure how much of that will actually happen tho. How many indy supporters will give labour their vote? A centre left labour is where I'm most at home but labour are nowhere near that. They're also adamantly anti indy, not even supporting our right to hold one. 

No idea which way I'll vote next year but it most likely won't be labour.

The SNP will certainly lose seats next year, but they will still comfortably be the largest Scottish party at Westminster. The independence situation will remain unchanged, as it has since September 2014.

21 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

I really hope the SNP get booted square in the baws in the next election so Humza gets to f**k and a competent leader comes back in.

Problem is, a boot in the baws for them is a boot in the baws for us. If the SNP were to be out-seated in Scottish seats at Westminster or at Holyrood. You could expect a whole lot of shenanigans to unfold that would effectively make it impossible for them to ever be in that position again.