When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

800 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Solomon would be better back down his mine........Better Together are getting the gang together again

Solomon Cuthbertson is a third year politics student at Edinburgh University.

"Back in 2014 I did support independence, but in the last few years I found myself drifting more towards wanting to stay in the UK," he says.

"Looking at the challenges that we face with economics, it would make families poorer and right now with the cost living crisis I don't think that's something I can get behind," he adds.

Solomon also has concerns about pensions and the pound. "If we leave the UK we lose any control that we have over the currency that will be used... and then if we join in the euro, it's the European Central Bank that's going to have all the power."

Solomon, who chairs Scottish Labour Students, says the answer to the current economic turmoil lies at Westminster.

"I don't think because we have a horrific Tory government that has done all the things it has and this led this economic disruption that we should look at leaving the UK," he says.

Pensions ✅ 

Currency ✅ 

EU ✅ 

Don't leave ✅ 

Scottish Labour ✅ 

Bingo!

12 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Solomon would be better back down his mine........Better Together are getting the gang together again

Solomon Cuthbertson is a third year politics student at Edinburgh University.

"Back in 2014 I did support independence, but in the last few years I found myself drifting more towards wanting to stay in the UK," he says.

"Looking at the challenges that we face with economics, it would make families poorer and right now with the cost living crisis I don't think that's something I can get behind," he adds.

Solomon also has concerns about pensions and the pound. "If we leave the UK we lose any control that we have over the currency that will be used... and then if we join in the euro, it's the European Central Bank that's going to have all the power."

Solomon, who chairs Scottish Labour Students, says the answer to the current economic turmoil lies at Westminster.

"I don't think because we have a horrific Tory government that has done all the things it has and this led this economic disruption that we should look at leaving the UK," he says.

“We lose any control we have over the currency that will be used”.

Well seeing Cuthbert isn’t a maths student. If I have zero apples in my pocket and I lose zero apples, how many apples have I lost?

On 15/10/2022 at 13:44, ICTJohnboy said:

Given that we've just seen what a WM. Govt can do with the pound (and interest rates) would it not make more sense for a Scottish Govt to adopt the Euro as a matter of some urgency?

You cannot 'adopt' the official Euro currency unless you are an EU member and have obviously satisfied the Copenhagen Criteria for membership.

A Scottish pound would be an interim currency until we joined the EU.

On 15/10/2022 at 16:17, Kenneth840 said:

Yes, but where is the money going? 

If I am not mistaken, Scotland will need its own currency to apply for EU membership. 

Correct and that's been outlined by Nicola today, an Independent Scotland would also have to demostrate fiscal prudence and a thriving market economy before being accepted by the EU, it's all in teh Copenahgen Criteria.

If the likes of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia and Slovenia etc with little Russian investment prior totheir Independence can gain membership then Scotland with a GDP of 160 Billion (excluding oil), and massive natural resources should waltz into the EU.

The average EU acceptance time for the countries mentioned was circa 6 years, with our resources and the chance for the EU to piss on Brexit I would think our wait would be half that.

Edited by SandyCromarty

Two things - 

The UK evidently couldn't 'afford' a furlough scheme either, since it's basically ruined itself borrowing to pay for it

Has Kerr bothered his arse to check whether other, similarly sized European nations to Scotland simply went 'nope, you're all just going to have to go to work because we can't afford to put you on furlough'? I suspect not.

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

He is usually pro independence so I’d say this is pretty concerning for yes. I have been questioning the lack of financial info from the snp and this confirms it

He is in favour of independence.

He is completely correct in his comments on today's events.

It's yet another bodge.

We need more than hot air at this juncture.

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Ive not heard of Richard Murphy before but its interesting points he raises. Is there anywhere where he has detailed what he thinks should happen?

Google his tax research blog. Lots of good info and ideas.

An initial period of short term Sterlingisation is necessary....but at this stage we should have a timescale and firm plans for currency launch.

Today was more wind and [email protected] I am afraid.