When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Except it’s not democratic.  With few exceptions anyone should be able to stand for election.

If you’re sitting in what would be a foreign legislative body then absolutely you shouldn’t be able to hold office up here 

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

If you’re sitting in what would be a foreign legislative body then absolutely you shouldn’t be able to hold office up here 

Sorry I misunderstood.  Anyone holding on to a seat in the HoL post Independence should be banned.  Personally I think they’d be kicked out.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry I misunderstood.  Anyone holding on to a seat in the HoL post Independence should be banned.  Personally I think they’d be kicked out.

I could see England wanting the jocks kicked out the HOL also, unless they’re living in England full time 

14 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Personally, I don’t the no side need to present a financial case. Assuming the GERS figures are accurate (aware not representative of Scotland as an independent country) then we seem to do well financially out of being in the UK. So it’s upto the yes side to present a case which shows that scotland being independent is going to be better.

The shambles that brexit has caused would indicate that there are going to be huge issues caused by it. Becoming a member is also guaranteed and there are financial obligations that need to be met. Can we show we can meet these when we are essentially a new country?

I was a big fan of NS but lost a lot of confidence in her during the Covid times (aware a vote for independence is not a vote for her). She also seems to be contradicting herself with talk of wanting to stop oil and gas whilst basing her hopes of creating a fund using oil and gas revenues (using todays prices which, again, could be seen as risky).

I hope this doesn’t come across as negative and siding with no but these are genuine concerns and I don’t think she is able to answer them

Perhaps not back in 2014. However we're now living under a UKG which, as another poster highlighted, can't guarantee we won't need power blackouts over the next few months, and which is not unable to organise a piss up in a brewery, appears to have set the brewery on fire after giving the beer away to all it's pals. When you're starting an Independence campaign on a near enough 50/50 split, then practically I think both sides need to make their own economic case for undecideds, soft No/Soft Yes voters. 

10+ years ago the No side started with a 70-30 advantage and could pretty much get away with any old scaremongering pish about pensions and why we'd be so much worse off as an independent country. This time round however the things they literally stated would NOT happen if we voted No, have happened and the country is far worse off as a result. The No side need to make a valid economic case to remain in the ongoing binfire that is the UK. Similarly, the Yes side need more than "it can't be any worse than staying". 

It also wouldn't do any harm to get some sort of guarantee of membership and rough timescale from the EU. 

27 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Personally, I don’t the no side need to present a financial case. Assuming the GERS figures are accurate (aware not representative of Scotland as an independent country) then we seem to do well financially out of being in the UK. So it’s upto the yes side to present a case which shows that scotland being independent is going to be better.

The shambles that brexit has caused would indicate that there are going to be huge issues caused by it. Becoming a member is also guaranteed and there are financial obligations that need to be met. Can we show we can meet these when we are essentially a new country?

I was a big fan of NS but lost a lot of confidence in her during the Covid times (aware a vote for independence is not a vote for her). She also seems to be contradicting herself with talk of wanting to stop oil and gas whilst basing her hopes of creating a fund using oil and gas revenues (using todays prices which, again, could be seen as risky).

I hope this doesn’t come across as negative and siding with no but these are genuine concerns and I don’t think she is able to answer them

I would disagree with this. There is no such thing as a status quo, as the last 8 years since IndyRef have amply demonstrated. Therefore the UK side should be held to at least the same standard as the Indy side when it comes to interpreting the future economics of a nation. If you had been able to tell people in Scotland what was barreling down the track at them in 2014, do you still think it would have been a No vote?

Brexit is a shambles but it's interesting that despite the chaos caused the regulatory border that Northern Ireland's economy still grew last quarter in comparison to anywhere else in the UK outside of London. Having that hard border may well put a break on growth but it doesn't stop it so if the question is a hard border inside the EU, or the "UK internal market" then it's a fucking no brainer. On the EU, there is no queue, there is no necessity for Scottish debt levels or deficits to be at certain levels to join the EU (albeit there is for the Euro as part of a regulatory convergence journey that some nations complete and others don't - see Denmark) There is little reason to think that Scotland could not join the EU in short order since in terms of regulations, democratic norms and economic activity it would aleady be aligned to EU requirements.

On oil and gas, have you read the paper? There is no 'basing her hopes' on creating an oil fund in the mold of Norway. Those receipts would, alongside other windfall income be reinvested into a fund to support transition to net zero over the next decade. It's not intended to be something that chruns away 50 years from now (albeit while we need to stop burning hydrocarbons for fuel, we will still probably need a lot of plastic, yet). There isn't really a contradiction there. Net Zero is not something that can be achieved overnight sustainably. So managing a transition over 10 years, reinvesting that oil money as a component of that investment seems sensible to me.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Don’t kid yourself the future of the UK is to destroy workers rights, turn us into a mini US

To be fair, there is a productivity issue in the UK. We lag behind other countries in this. There are two possible ways to change this. Make people work longer (dont think this will make a huge difference) or increase the number of working people. Given we have an ageing population, this points to the fact that we need larger immigration. So all those pesky foreigners that the Pro-Brexit arseholes based their campaign on keeping out are actually exactly what this country needs. Couldnt make it up!

22 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'm more No than ever because Douglas Ross says an independent Scotland will be like Zimbabwe and Venezuela and hundreds of thousands will flee the country to escape economic turmoil.

I wouldn't be surprised if the economic turmoil caused a flow of refugees alright, but it might well be into Scotland rather than out of it.