When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

Would you say that the post referendum negotiations will take account of the pension contributions of those that will remain subjects and those that are destined for citizenship?

I'd imagine there's a spreadsheet with the workings out.

I’m sorry. Don’t quite understand your point?

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I’m sorry. Don’t quite understand your point?

I'm sorry, I'll put it in language that is very plain.

The negotiations that will take place after the yes vote will take into account all the liabilities and there will be provision made for those that have paid in.

You can be as obtuse as you like in this matter but the truth of this has already been very clearly set out.

You can have a Trump or Alex Jones version of your truth if you like but please be aware where that leaves you.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Regarding your partner’s aunt her teachers pension is funded whereas her state pension is not and is paid out of current taxation.

So, you don't understand the LGPS either then. Can't say I'm surprised.

My contributions (plus my employers contributions) to the Strathclyde fund are paying the pensions of previous local authority employees. Whilst the payouts are contribution-based, they are made from the day to day income of the fund, not a big pot of money with my name on it.

I'm done with your attempts to discuss something you obviously have zero knowledge about. 

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I'm done with your attempts to discuss something you obviously have zero knowledge about. 

DPB's mind is an absolute trove. There must be all sorts of wild untapped subjects he knows nothing about, yet holds very strong views on.

Hopefully he finds the Conspiracy Theory thread sometime soon.

37 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, you don't understand the LGPS either then. Can't say I'm surprised.

My contributions (plus my employers contributions) to the Strathclyde fund are paying the pensions of previous local authority employees. Whilst the payouts are contribution-based, they are made from the day to day income of the fund, not a big pot of money with my name on it.

I don’t disagree with that.

Okay, I’m done as well.

Tbf, as somebody that has paid into the UK system for 20 years but clearly hasn't reached anywhere near the requirement to claim for the pension, how would that work?

UK says "you aren't entitled to it", or is there the complexity to say "we'll pay 2/3rds of your pension entitlement and iScotland will pick up the remaining third"?

I appreciate that the new rules on here mean that it's unwise to reach the stage of calling other posters c***s but if it's blindingly obvious that they're out of their depth, might one reasonably and sparingly use the phrase "as thick as shite in the neck of a bottle"? 

As I understand it, you would be entitled to your pension accrued by your NI contributions to the UK government up to Indy day. After that you will be paying into a Scottish scheme, and Scotgov will be paying you a separate pension based on your contributions to that scheme. Long term, this means that eventually there will be noone left who paid into the UK system, and Scotgov will be paying for all pension entitlements accrued through working in Scotland

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, as somebody that has paid into the UK system for 20 years but clearly hasn't reached anywhere near the requirement to claim for the pension, how would that work?

UK says "you aren't entitled to it", or is there the complexity to say "we'll pay 2/3rds of your pension entitlement and iScotland will pick up the remaining third"?

You'd get nowt from the UK government. It would be up to the Scottish Government to honour your contributions. The burden would fall on the Scottish taxpayer. The money you theoretically paid into the system has long been spent.

35 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The UK government won't honour its liabilities to UK workers who've paid into their state pension all their working lives, is not the great argument for the union that you seem to think it is lads. 

They really think it is, though. There's been an underlying vein of "but they'll hurt us!" running through arguments in favour of the status quo for a long time.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The UK government won't honour its liabilities to UK workers who've paid into their state pension all their working lives, is not the great argument for the union that you seem to think it is lads. 

I don’t think even project fear would’ve gone down the route of threatening people that their contributions throughout their working life would belong to rUK if you exercised a democratic right. 

I don’t have any expert knowledge on this but in layman’s it’s inconceivable to me that this would even be a debate in the event of independence. 

I would expect there to be some ‘robust’ negotiation on how the liabilities would be split between the two but I doubt even Westminster would try and brass neck absolving themselves completely. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think even project fear would’ve gone down the route of threatening people that their contributions throughout their working life would belong to rUK if you exercised a democratic right. 

I don’t have any expert knowledge on this but in layman’s it’s inconceivable to me that this would even be a debate in the event of independence. 

I would expect there to be some ‘robust’ negotiation on how the liabilities would be split between the two but I doubt even Westminster would try and brass neck absolving themselves completely. 

They didn't need to; the possibility was just left hanging in the air like a fetid arse biscuit.

If people believed it, that speaks volumes for England's relationship with its appendages.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The liability ends when Scotland opts to leave. There is no argument it would otherwise not be honoured.

Bear in mind that your national insurance contributions pay for the health service and pensions of those in receipt of them today. There is no account holding your  contributions which can then be transferred over. The money has been spent.

Let's imagine you were in a relationship. You and your partner split the bills equally. Your partner then leaves and asks you to pay half of their amazon prime subscription on the basis that you paid half when you were together. Alternatively, they ask you to compensate them for the contributions they made during the relationship. What is your response?

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

They didn't need to; the possibility was just left hanging in the air like a fetid arse biscuit.

If people believed it, that speaks volumes for England's relationship with its appendages.

That’s very true. Maybe that’s a form of attack from the yes side. Just call them out, ask the direct question - are you saying you would totally absolve yourself of contributions from taxpayers if they vote for something you don’t like?

4 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

The liability ends when Scotland opts to leave. There is no argument it would otherwise not be honoured.

Bear in mind that your national insurance contributions pay for the health service and pensions of those in receipt of them today. There is no account holding your  contributions which can then be transferred over. The money has been spent.

Let's imagine you were in a relationship. You and your partner split the bills equally. Your partner then leaves and asks you to pay half of their amazon prime subscription on the basis that you paid half when you were together. Alternatively, they ask you to compensate them for the contributions they made during the relationship. What is your response?

I realise this will count as a bite but this is extremely dumb, even for a troll. 

10 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

🤣 Amazon Prime analogy here. A jaiket analogy in the Sky Sports TV deal debate - let me try and explain something that I don't understand in a manner that might help you realise how little I understand it.

Re pension contributions, imagine you can travel backwards in time at a constant pace.....

And we can now go live to Holyrood where top level civil servants from the Treasury are meeting with the PM and Chancellor, and the FM and the Finance Secretary. 

18 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said: