When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Godwins law reached impressively quickly.

Wether it's the reasoning or the physical act the point remains the same. Insulting folk because you disagree with their political views is stupidity and lowers any debate.

Indeed and it falls right into the trap of those that would seek to polarise the debate 

3 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

Godwins law reached impressively quickly.

Wether it's the reasoning or the physical act the point remains the same. Insulting folk because you disagree with their political views is stupidity and lowers any debate.

As for Godwin's law, page 1610 is hardly impressively quickly. The points stands though - you were merely defending the action not the reasoning. Insulting right wingers and Brexiteers and those with unsavoury views is absolutely fine. 

On 31/08/2022 at 18:42, Stellaboz said:

If being called a c**t by anyone pushes you either side of this debate, you seriously need to think about your choices in life.

Indeed. If you took a massive huff because of the behaviour of individuals espousing any given position, you'd have no opinions on anything.

Weirdly, there are people who will change their opinions depending on who's being nice to them. The far right seem to have decided that's a winning strategy - apparently folk who've had a leftist woke libtard say "bum" to them on Twitter find themselves being offered tea, sympathy, and white supremacy in their DMs.

The KKK was probably full of guys who had no strong feelings about race, but enjoyed the barbeques and didn't have anyone to talk to at home.

19 hours ago, sophia said:

^^^^

Too much bucks fizz type post.

You're entitled to assert this all you like but it doesn't make it any more than your opinion.

Moreover, whilst the polls show swings around the 50/50 mark, it kinda indicates that there is scope for persuasion.

First of all, I never liked bucks fizz, thought they were shite. 

I agree with your second point, it is my opinion. 

Are the polls showing 50/50?  Assuming that you are correct with that figure, then there is the possibility for persuasion.  However, I think in my opinion the percentage will be low on either side to make any real change in the 50/50 figure.  Their minds have mostly already been made up either way. 

By the way, are you aware of the Salvo event the other day and what do you think of it?

Accepts that opinion may be split 50/50 on an issue, is determined that there's very little wiggle room for changing people's minds, yet is still convinced that the issue should be forced regardless.

Aye, that sounds like it'll work out just fine. If only we can get rid of that woman, eh?

1 hour ago, Kenneth840 said:

By the way, are you aware of the Salvo event the other day and what do you think of it?

No I wasn't aware so I troubled myself with an online search, found the following words and decided not to click ...

"The people of Scotland are sovereign"

4 hours ago, Kenneth840 said:

First of all, I never liked bucks fizz, thought they were shite. 

I agree with your second point, it is my opinion. 

Are the polls showing 50/50?  Assuming that you are correct with that figure, then there is the possibility for persuasion.  However, I think in my opinion the percentage will be low on either side to make any real change in the 50/50 figure.  Their minds have mostly already been made up either way. 

Is this you making your mind up?

37 minutes ago, sophia said:

There was a 60% narrative recently and if this nonsense gets beyond being floated it'll fast track the end of the union.

Adults generally love having someone else try to dictate the criteria for when they'll be allowed to make decisions for themselves.

The priority is clearly just to stop Scotland breaking away on their watch, which is actually kinda sad. No interest in trying to work out why this has happened and/or win over hearts and minds, just continual spitballing about the most effective way to keep the power out of the hands of Scots. If you were a Unionist, you'd surely wonder why the folk in charge care so little despite your loyalty.

The Telegraph (for it always seems to be them) are desperate to pretend that the independence movement is a ghastly nightmare engineered by one magical demon, and it'll all go away if they can be brought down. They did the same with Salmond. Their journos will obviously know it's bollocks, but presumably there are a substantial number of people who genuinely believe it, or they wouldn't be marketing clickbait at them.

I find that about as worrying as the people who believe that independence will be achieved by UDI regardless of public opinion, and the rest of the world will just accept it because the Declaration of Arbroath. Also, you can get away with crimes by not giving the polis your name.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The Telegraph (for it always seems to be them) are desperate to pretend that the independence movement is a ghastly nightmare engineered by one magical demon, and it'll all go away if they can be brought down. They did the same with Salmond. Their journos will obviously know it's bollocks, but presumably there are a substantial number of people who genuinely believe it, or they wouldn't be marketing clickbait at them.

I find that about as worrying as the people who believe that independence will be achieved by UDI regardless of public opinion, and the rest of the world will just accept it because the Declaration of Arbroath. Also, you can get away with crimes by not giving the polis your name.

I can,  I'm a Freeman of the Land

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

The priority is clearly just to stop Scotland breaking away on their watch, which is actually kinda sad. No interest in trying to work out why this has happened and/or win over hearts and minds, just continual spitballing about the most effective way to keep the power out of the hands of Scots.

You just need to look at the news from the past four days to see how Gorbachev has been labelled as little more than 'the guy who allowed the dissolution of the USSR', and how much of the general public over there seem to rather dislike him based on that alone (based on the limited street interviews I've seen anyway).

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You just need to look at the news from the past four days to see how Gorbachev has been labelled as little more than 'the guy who allowed the dissolution of the USSR', and how much of the general public over there seem to rather dislike him based on that alone (based on the limited street interviews I've seen anyway).

That's a really odd turnabout. He was something of a hero when I was a kid. Maybe just to everybody outside of Russia; barring Belarus, the former Soviet states don't seem terribly happy about the idea of being re-absorbed.

Britain's empire is so negligible now that it's hard to imagine many people in England caring much or noticing if anyone left, but I suppose there'd be some still furious about "their" territory being allowed to become self-determining again.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's a really odd turnabout. He was something of a hero when I was a kid. Maybe just to everybody outside of Russia; barring Belarus, the former Soviet states don't seem terribly happy about the idea of being re-absorbed.

Bit of a tangent here I know, but I'm just back from Latvia and whilst I thought he might be seen as a relatively good guy who ultimately led to their independence, many of them cannot see beyond the guy who still allowed the tyrannic KGB to wreak havoc, allow the murder anti-Russian protesters whilst the USSR was still going, etc etc.  Basically, to many, he's still an arsehole who'll have reached his special place in Hell.

During my visit, (unlike the youths) it was rather evident that anybody who experienced Russian control during adulthood has been scarred for life and emotionally closed (and that's coming from the mouths of Latvian Millennials).  I genuinely can't recall seeing an >40yo smiling at any point of my visit, with the different generations being like chalk and cheese.