When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Zern said:

I mind similar predictions when Salmond left. His replacement, Nicola would not be as popular with voters. heh.

Mhairi Black is a great speaker, and is being mentored by Ian Blackford. Another eloquent speaker and practiced parliamentarian. There is some real talent within the party. There is also the fact that media training is a skill that can be acquired to a certain extent. They'll do just fine.

Of course ability to navigate a media landscape and being good at debating are not enough; look at the wretched Gove, and man who garners praise for both, yet remains widely loathed. Our very own Ted Cruz.

The evil Salmond uniquely has Scotland's idiots in the palm of his hand. Once he's dethroned, the independence movement will fall apart.
The evil Sturgeon uniquely has Scotland's idiots in the palm of her hand. Once she's dethroned, the independence movement will fall apart.
The evil Black uniquely has...etc.

Entirely happy for the opposition to continue in this lazy vein of thought indefinitely TBH.

1 minute ago, Zern said:

I mind similar predictions when Salmond left. His replacement, Nicola would not be as popular with voters. heh.

Mhairi Black is a great speaker, and is being mentored by Ian Blackford. Another eloquent speaker and practiced parliamentarian. There is some real talent within the party. There is also the fact that media training is a skill that can be acquired to a certain extent. They'll do just fine.

Of course ability to navigate a media landscape and being good at debating are not enough; look at the wretched Gove, and man who garners praise for both, yet remains widely loathed. Our very own Ted Cruz.

Not saying this to be awkward (Perish the thought!), but I remember the exact opposite.  Sturgeon was hailed as a natural successor who'd be very popular with the public - and she was.  Salmond's smugness turned a lot of people off IMO.

Mhairi Black would be a Unionist's dream.

5 minutes ago, TapothehullDee said:

Many SNP voters don't want so called independence. Imagine Russia attacking an independent Scotland, the first thing Scotland would do is ask England for help. An independent Scotland would be a North Korea in the making. 

😂

What a total moron

20 minutes ago, TapothehullDee said:

Many SNP voters don't want so called independence. Imagine Russia attacking an independent Scotland, the first thing Scotland would do is ask England for help. An independent Scotland would be a North Korea in the making. 

Frightening levels of stupidity on display here. 

34 minutes ago, TapothehullDee said:

Imagine Russia attacking England when we're independent. The amount of money you could make opening vodka stalls all along the border would be enough to build a hundred foot high golden statue of wee(big)Nippy. 

We'll have to have a poll to see where  to erect the statue. 

43 minutes ago, TapothehullDee said:

ffs, Boris, now is not the time to try out new speeches.

15 hours ago, Left Back said:

Not according to the manifesto they produced when he won his majority.

I must admit I haven't read his manifesto.  I will take you at your word therefore I am talking tripe. 

16 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I think the rest of the parties will just campaign on the usual issues, which will override it's proposed plebiscitary nature.

I think the international community would ignore it too.

My gut feeling is that Sturgeon is being controlled, and that this supposed referendum attempt and subsequent plebiscite are a smokescreen to allow her to leave to do something else and still be able to say 'I tried everything'.

If she leaves Scottish/British politics, then I can't see any other SNP leader being as popular with voters.  I must admit, when she took over from Salmond I was genuinely scared.

What do you think will happen?

As Bojo has said no to a section 30 request and I guess the UK supreme court will rule against the Scottish Government, then the only option left is a plebiscite election.

I personally don't think Yes will get a majority of seats plus over 50% of the vote so Independence will be put off for a number of years.  

If yes do manage to win then negotiations with Westminster should begin.  We should recall our MPs from Westminster and form a convention with our MSPs, assert the competency of the Scottish Parliament, declare Independence and dissolve the Treaty of Union. 

If Westminster refuse to accept the result then we approach the UN and state that a democratic election is being refused recognition and that we are being forced to stay in the Union against the will of the Scottish people.  Back this up with the claim of right. 

On 09/07/2022 at 12:20, Kenneth840 said:

I must admit I haven't read his manifesto.  I will take you at your word therefore I am talking tripe. 

As Bojo has said no to a section 30 request and I guess the UK supreme court will rule against the Scottish Government, then the only option left is a plebiscite election.

I personally don't think Yes will get a majority of seats plus over 50% of the vote so Independence will be put off for a number of years.  

If yes do manage to win then negotiations with Westminster should begin.  We should recall our MPs from Westminster and form a convention with our MSPs, assert the competency of the Scottish Parliament, declare Independence and dissolve the Treaty of Union. 

If Westminster refuse to accept the result then we approach the UN and state that a democratic election is being refused recognition and that we are being forced to stay in the Union against the will of the Scottish people.  Back this up with the claim of right. 

I just can’t see Westminster accepting the proposed plebiscite, nor the UN giving it the time of day.

If it was indeed a democratic election that was being ignored, then perhaps, but only Nats would be treating it as a plebiscite, no one else.

I genuinely think going down that route would set you back decades.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

42 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3292214

This is a really good read, the parallels are striking. The low ebb start, the panic, the love bombing....Big companies getting involved. We are actually at a must higher starting point for a second referendum.

I seem to remember reading that the "problem" for Quebec independence is that it's considered an old man's game - youngsters aren't terribly fussed so, if there was ever another serious push, it would be the oldies (who are more likely to vote in general) playing the fiddle for the generations who'd be left to deal with their decision once they're all dead.

So, while there are obvious parallels when you read through that article, maybe it's more of a Brexit situation than Scexit (God I hate myself for using those portmanteaux).

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I seem to remember reading that the "problem" for Quebec independence is that it's considered an old man's game - youngsters aren't terribly fussed so, if there was ever another serious push, it would be the oldies (who are more likely to vote in general) playing the fiddle for the generations who'd be left to deal with their decision once they're all dead.

So, while there are obvious parallels when you read through that article, maybe it's more of a Brexit situation than Scexit (God I hate myself for using those portmanteaux).

See the source image

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Scexit will turn into that too.

In general, the young are more partition-minded than the old, but when you break the figures down, you actually see the youngest swaying back to the Union again.

On 09/07/2022 at 07:45, TapothehullDee said:

🤣 fuck up you daft hoor.