Jump to content

When will indyref2 happen?


Colkitto

Indyref2  

758 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I dont think the feeling independence is coming for sure due to a generational shift can be guaranteed, it certainly seems that way but things can change and years of talking about independence and it not happening could turn off future voters who are too young to vote now as it can become a boring subject for them that creates a certain apathy. 
 

At some point independence has to be delivered or people will grow tired of talking about it 

It may be it happens before then but thinking its something that will just happen whatever im not so sure

Thats why I think they need to create a positive case for it thats full of good feeling and sweeps the nation along with it , im not sure the current snp leadership have that too be honest 

 

Edited by BigDoddyKane
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

 

Until then, the safety of sticking with the shitshow that we all know and understand is going to win hands down every time. Sorry. 

I’d be interested in how this (honest) argument can be spun as being better together, strong and stable, or whatever else can be invoked to make “stick with the shitshow” look like less of a climb down from pre-2014.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’d be interested in how this (honest) argument can be spun as being better together, strong and stable, or whatever else can be invoked to make “stick with the shitshow” look like less of a climb down from pre-2014.

Erm…as I laid out? 
Uk-wide the last 18months has been a shitshow. 

And when allowed the scope to do things their own way, the SG seemed - unless you can direct me to a fundamental directional difference - to have followed a fairly parallel path to WM but only with added tartan. 
 
They either need to get braver - and delivering - on their vision (whatever that may be) or, for the majority of the interested population it seems all we’ll get is Humza and Swinney. (yay!); and  they don’t even have the balls to express an off party line opinion.

IMHO traditional Scottish conservatism just won’t buy it I’m afraid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Erm…as I laid out? 
Uk-wide the last 18months has been a shitshow. 

And when allowed the scope to do things their own way, the SG seemed - unless you can direct me to a fundamental directional difference - to have followed a fairly parallel path to WM but only with added tartan. 
 
They either need to get braver - and delivering - on their vision (whatever that may be) or, for the majority of the interested population it seems all we’ll get is Humza and Swinney. (yay!); and  they don’t even have the balls to express an off party line opinion.

IMHO traditional Scottish conservatism just won’t buy it I’m afraid. 

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? Should we even expect them to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? Should we even expect them to?

PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS BUT ONLY ON MY PHONE.

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? I DONT KNOW. DO YOU? 

Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? IVE NOT SEEN IT YET, HAVE YOU?


Should we even expect them to? YES!! IF THEY CAN’T, WHATS THE POINT? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS BUT ONLY ON MY PHONE.

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? I DONT KNOW. DO YOU? 

Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? IVE NOT SEEN IT YET, HAVE YOU?


Should we even expect them to? YES!! IF THEY CAN’T, WHATS THE POINT? 

I would imagine that any pro-independence party doing much more than ameliorating the worst excesses of the UK would be spun as “look how good dependent Scotland is, being able to improve within the UK”. A balancing act has to be struck between governing well enough to inspire confidence but making clear that there are things that either can’t be mitigated or are simply forced on us as part of being an incorporated devolved nation (YMMV as to whether you think the SNP Gov are striking that balance - but that’s what’s required).

Personally speaking, I don’t want the Scottish government to do a damn thing to help make the Tories’ Brexit work, never mind providing a vision of a bright, anti-EU future in the UK. I doubt anyone in favour of independence wants the SNP or Greens to be doing the racist, Europhobic Tories’ work for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the Treaty of Union was negotiated and ratified in 1707, it was to be a Union of equals between Scotland and England. Scotland retained its own legal and educational system, and under the terms of the treaty the UK Parliament could not interfere in Scots Law. Scotland did not renounce its sovereignty, which had been legally established in the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320, the Claim of Right in 1689, and reaffirmed numerous times including by the UK Parliament as recently as July 4, 2018. 

 

You would think our Scottish government would know this, so why don't they act?

Carrot anyone?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not going to fault them for pursuing a strategy that has proved itself successful in the past. Ideally everyone concerned would want this to happen with of spirit of cooperation not unlike the partition of Czechoslovakia.

UDI, from our MPS, would be very much an option of last resort. Used only in the event all avenues have been exhausted, something that may well become necessary. For that to work, we need allies. Fortunately for us the EU is very invested in the affairs of neighbouring states that are EU-curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FCE9WHNXsAIyTGd?format=png&name=900x900image.png.b88dbf266d49935df592042e52de973b.png

2013                                                                                                        2015

image.png.8778067c66875ecdfe07e1e5d49241aa.pngFCE9XiCXMAATWsw?format=png&name=900x900

5/10/21                                                                                               19/10/2021

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty damning stuff from Ian Wood saying "well I hope it's not a political decision" and "Scotland is quite politically vulnerable."

I wonder at what point, like jilted lovers, unionists will finally realise their sycophancy and baffling loyalty will never, ever be reciprocated by those in power down south? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Pretty damning stuff from Ian Wood saying "well I hope it's not a political decision" and "Scotland is quite politically vulnerable."

I wonder at what point, like jilted lovers, unionists will finally realise their sycophancy and baffling loyalty will never, ever be reciprocated by those in power down south? 

Ian Wood will never come out publicly and state what everyone else is thinking, ie the truth behind the decision.  Not only was it politically totally partisan, it is on almost every other measure completely incomprehensible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Pretty damning stuff from Ian Wood saying "well I hope it's not a political decision" and "Scotland is quite politically vulnerable."

I wonder at what point, like jilted lovers, unionists will finally realise their sycophancy and baffling loyalty will never, ever be reciprocated by those in power down south? 

They know it. They're just too invested in it by this stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

They know it. They're just too invested in it by this stage.

I think some of them have moved on to “well these particular Scotch-hating Tories are just temporary. The next masters will love me back.”

60095C34-69F7-4C31-8321-BB7D985C1DBD.jpeg

Edited by Antlion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty damning stuff from Ian Wood saying "well I hope it's not a political decision" and "Scotland is quite politically vulnerable."

I wonder at what point, like jilted lovers, unionists will finally realise their sycophancy and baffling loyalty will never, ever be reciprocated by those in power down south? 

Ian Wood will never come out publicly and state what everyone else is thinking, ie the truth behind the decision.  Not only was it politically totally partisan, it is on almost every other measure completely incomprehensible.
Bang on here. Having had to sit through a lecture from Wood at my graduation in 2014 about the dangers of independence, there's not a hope he would fully come out and call it for what it is.

Which is a naked attempt to make further inroads into North of England former Labour heartlands to cement the Tories in power forever.

The most hilarious part is that the serfs in Banff and Buchan who rolled in behind Duguid have ended up being utterly shafted now on fishing and this carbon capture thing. Maybe the eejits will realise eventually that being loyal British forelock tuggers does nothing for their best interests, as Banff and Buchan is an insignificant speck that is pretty meaningless to anyone from England.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...