When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Five more years of her snout in the trough?  Five more years of her and Pete running their own wee fiefdom?  Five more years of being lauded as Chief Mammy?

You can see how seriously she takes independence by asking Mike Russell to deliver IndyRef2.

Aye but, gammon, minter, toaries, in the sea gammon, yer da, toaries, tRaIToR, yer dA, minter gammon.

Just in case it wasn’t blindingly obvious, David Beckham was in the UEFA VIP bit. I could see him from where I was sat. He was about 3 rows behind Sir Alex Ferguson and Ian Maxwell.

I have no idea how, but I assume Dross managed to get himself in there too. 

He’s still a fanny though. 

The Times are reporting that ministers are asking Boris Johnson to ensure that Scots living in other parts of the UK are able to vote in the referendum. They were not able to vote in the 2014 referendum or in Scottish elections however the move would bring the format into line with UK general elections where expat postal voting is allowed.

An estimated 700,000 Scots live in England and another 40,000 in Wales/NI combined. This would mean that these extra voters would make up about 15% of the electorate and would be expected to break heavily for the no campaign.

I’m not sure Yes can win a vote that includes Scots living in the rest of the UK. Expect the SG to go apoplectic if Johnson tries to pull this fudge. 

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The Times are reporting that ministers are asking Boris Johnson to ensure that Scots living in other parts of the UK are able to vote in the referendum. They were not able to vote in the 2014 referendum or in Scottish elections however the move would bring the format into line with UK general elections where expat postal voting is allowed.

An estimated 700,000 Scots live in England and another 40,000 in Wales/NI combined. This would mean that these extra voters would make up about 15% of the electorate and would be expected to break heavily for the no campaign.

I’m not sure Yes can win a vote that includes Scots living in the rest of the UK. Expect the SG to go apoplectic if Johnson tries to pull this fudge. 

Administratively unmanageable. Would require all those without a Scottish address to i) register to vote and ii) provide proof of eligibility to vote, which itself would be a nightmare to verify.

Probably unenforceable as well.

Another planted scare story in the yoon press. Further exposure of Unionist desperation.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Administratively unmanageable. Would require all those without a Scottish address to i) register to vote and ii) provide proof of eligibility to vote, which itself would be a nightmare to verify.

Probably unenforceable as well.

Another planted scare story in the yoon press. Further exposure of Unionist desperation.

I suspect you’re probably correct.

They would need to come up with a definition of what defines a Scot living elsewhere in the UK. Given that we don’t have a Scottish passport that would be pretty hard to do. Pretty much anyone with a British passport could just identify themselves as Scottish and get the vote.

Unless they limit it to people born in Scotland?

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I suspect you’re probably correct.

They would need to come up with a definition of what defines a Scot living elsewhere in the UK. Given that we don’t have a Scottish passport that would be pretty hard to do. Pretty much anyone with a British passport could just identify themselves as Scottish and get the vote.

Unless they limit it to people born in Scotland?

Too restrictive - think of cases similar to Sean Maloney - born overseas while parents working abroad, now quite legitimately on the voters roll. There are numerous similar instances.

Fairest way at present is all those on the voters roll are kosher. If there is a verifiable watertight way of having others legitimately added, then fair enough.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Too restrictive - think of cases similar to Sean Maloney - born overseas while parents working abroad, now quite legitimately on the voters roll. There are numerous similar instances.

Fairest way at present is all those on the voters roll are kosher. If there is a verifiable watertight way of having others legitimately added, then fair enough.

I’m not suggesting people like Maloney be excluded, anyone living in Scotland would rightfully retain their place on the register. It’s a question of how you define a Scottish person living in rUK. 

Any attempt to gerrymander an IndyRef2 vote should be vehemently opposed not just by those who support independence but anyone who supports democracy.

It's a really dangerous route to go down.

They are already trying to remove the 15 year time limit on ex-pats voting in UK elections - for exactly the same reasons - that proportionately more of these voters are Tories.

Personally I think even 15 years is too long.

If you are out of the country that long and not paying taxes then quite frankly why on earth should you get a vote?

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

The Times are reporting that ministers are asking Boris Johnson to ensure that Scots living in other parts of the UK are able to vote in the referendum.

This is absolute nonsense and something that Dim Dave got wrong when he announced IndyRef in 2012.

We're one nation state.  If you want to make changes to that then it's a whole nation issue.

Given that a sizable chunk of Englandshire is convinced that Scotland is subsidized to the hilt, it would be no bad thing for the Ruk to have a vote. That so called red wall across the north would be delighted to see the back of us.

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Given that a sizable chunk of Englandshire is convinced that Scotland is subsidized to the hilt, it would be no bad thing for the Ruk to have a vote. That so called red wall across the north would be delighted to see the back of us.

You misunderstand. It’s not everyone in England, it’s only the c.700k Scots who live in England. 

Don’t anyone waste their time engaging on this pish about the voting franchise. It’s just desperate dissembling. 

International law is clear on self determination and the franchise will be decided in Scotland with the precedent being every other vote in modern history. 

Don’t give them your energy on this point.

Why stop at Scots resident in england.

Lets have a real Scottish jamboree of voters.

In Australia and New Zealand there are 226,000 residents who were born in Scotland.

In the EU there are 180.000 residents who were born in Scotland.

Between the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand there are just under 30,650.000 million citizens of Scottish descent.

The Worlwide Scottish Diaspora of people descended from Scotland is estimated at 28 - 40 Million.

Let them all vote!

Edited by SandyCromarty

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

You misunderstand. It’s not everyone in England, it’s only the c.700k Scots who live in England. 

I did get that.

What I should have said was "It would be no bad thing ALSO for all of the Ruk to get a vote.".

This has been mooted in some circles with the reasoning  that if Scotland can vote to break up the union the Ruk should get a say in it.