When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

In an informal non political situation she's met with people close to me and they all say she is very much down to earth and genuinely caring for her country, you mentioned her Wee Free connection which may hamper leadership ambitions in some parts of the country. 

Not sure what you mean by ‘some parts of the country’.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

In an informal non political situation she's met with people close to me and they all say she is very much down to earth and genuinely caring for her country, you mentioned her Wee Free connection which may hamper leadership ambitions in some parts of the country. 

Im not a big fan of the ways of the wee free, but if she doesnt allow her sky fairy beliefs to cloud her decision making or influence policies then batter in and give her a chance. 
Personally though i’d much prefer Mairi Black as our first post indy president, I love her passion, shes incredibly intelligent and seems to annoy the tories so she would get my vote. 

23 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The West.

Specifically the stupid people in the West. More specifically some bigoted Celtic fans.

I fall into none of these categories yet I have severe reservations about a party leader/potential FM who is engrossed in sky-fairyism of any kind, let alone the nut job variety.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

As long as the leader doesn't use cringeworthy terms like "sky fairy" then I'm okay with them.

Staunch Athiest here. I agree. At least they didn't go full flying spaghetti monster patter.

It's always a wee bit of a concern when someone in a position of power considers they have "God told me to" as cover for whatever they fancy getting up to. Even worse if they, and others, genuinely believe it.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's always a wee bit of a concern when someone in a position of power considers they have "God told me to" as cover for whatever they fancy getting up to. Even worse if they, and others, genuinely believe it.

Will never forget Tony Blair saying God told him to invade Iraq. Aye sure he did mate.

In a sane society that would be enough to get you sectioned.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

As long as the leader doesn't use cringeworthy terms like "sky fairy" then I'm okay with them.

Even if you feel the term is cringeworthy do you really think its use is worse than someone in a position of power having their decisions influenced by an irrational belief system?

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Even if you feel the term is cringeworthy do you really think its use is worse than someone in a position of power having their decisions influenced by an irrational belief system?

bad news for residents of vatican city 

Making a "sky fairy" comment doesn't make you come off as superior or more intelligent, except perhaps among your friends who also draw their self-worth from thinking about how smart they are for being atheists. It just makes you sound ignorant and close-minded, revealing your narrow worldview in which explanations other than your own are always wrong.

In that way, you're very similar to those whose religious worldview is so fixed that they feel they must sarcastically mock non-believers, rather than seeking to understand why someone might believe in it (or not believe in it).

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Making a "sky fairy" comment doesn't make you come off as superior or more intelligent, except perhaps among your friends who also draw their self-worth from thinking about how smart they are for being atheists. It just makes you sound ignorant and close-minded, revealing your narrow worldview in which explanations other than your own are always wrong.

In that way, you're very similar to those whose religious worldview is so fixed that they feel they must sarcastically mock non-believers, rather than seeking to understand why someone might believe in it (or not believe in it).

That’s pish.

It is valid to ‘mock’ people whose world view is shaped or influenced by a belief system.  I far prefer rational people, even those whose views I strongly disagree with.

There is nothing wrong with a fixed worldview based on rationalism, quite the reverse in fact.

To suggest someone is closed minded because they will not buy into an irrational view of the world is pretty nonsensical from a usually switched on poster.

That’s pish.
It is valid to ‘mock’ people whose world view is shaped or influenced by a belief system.  I far prefer rational people, even those whose views I strongly disagree with.
There is nothing wrong with a fixed worldview based on rationalism, quite the reverse in fact.
To suggest someone is closed minded because they will not buy into an irrational view of the world is pretty nonsensical from a usually switched on poster.

Which is not what I said.

You can make a rational argument without resorting to childish pish.

It's also quite dangerous ground - by validating the mocking of those who are religious you just make it easier for those who use religion for their own sectarian and often racist agenda.

You can make reasoned case for atheism without going down that route.

When you use the sky fairy language it just makes you look like an arrogant w****r.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Chiefly it is shite patter. 

To be honest, (as my previous post was clearly not entirely serious) I think I'd rather a Christian running Scotland than someone who uses primary school playground insults.

26 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

To be honest, (as my previous post was clearly not entirely serious) I think I'd rather a Christian running Scotland than someone who uses primary school playground insults.

Who is it that you thinks uses primary school insults that may end up running Scotland?

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's also quite dangerous ground - by validating the mocking of those who are religious you just make it easier for those who use religion for their own sectarian and often racist agenda.

When you use the sky fairy language it just makes you look like an arrogant w****r.

I’m certainly not arrogant.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think it was Dr Jonathan Miller that said he disliked being described as an atheist as there is no word to describe someone that doesn't believe in Santa.