When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

What a mind numbing stupid statement to make!

The RAM/ROM thing

The reason so many can use computers today is that they have been made so simple even thick people can use them without knowing the first thing about anything like programming etc.

Computers "back in the day" were even simpler.  And even less people knew about programming then

7 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

The reason so many people can use computers these days, is because the clueless generation are dying out. 

Oh and just so you know, you don't need to know the slightest thing about programming to understand the difference between RAM and ROM. It's bread and butter to the younger generation.

:lol:

I'm certain that the vast vast majority of people young or old couldn't tell you the first thing about RAM and ROM including what the acronyms mean.

The poster above is correct. Computing is so accessible now because it has been made so easy to use that you need to understand nothing about the workings of a PC or tablet to use them.

All young people can do more successfully than crumblies is work a User Interface.

2 minutes ago, ScotSquid said:

I'm certain that the vast vast majority of people young or old couldn't tell you the first thing about RAM and ROM including what the acronyms mean.

The poster above is correct. Computing is so accessible now because it has been made so easy to use that you need to understand nothing about the workings of a PC or tablet to use them.

All young people can do more successfully than crumblies is work a User Interface.

Unsurprising that an Anthony C Pick acolyte has a view on this.

Just now, ScotSquid said:

This isn't true. I teach computing on a voluntary basis to young and old. The young are naturals and pick it up with relative ease. Old people don't know what an app is, or the difference between android, windows & mac.... etc. They're totally out of the loop.

Even had one poor old sod picking up a mouse and pointing it to the screen thinking it was some kind of remote control. :lol:

1 minute ago, Cream Cheese said:

This isn't true. I teach computing on a voluntary basis to young and old. The young are naturals and pick it up with relative ease. Old people don't know what an app is, or the difference between android, windows & mac.... etc. They're totally out of the loop.

Even had one poor old sod picking up a mouse and pointing it to the screen thinking it was some kind of remote control. :lol:

Well you have just validated my point. As I said the young can just use a UI better. Because they've grown up in an era where tablets, phones and laptops are plentiful. Old people didn't. And it's harder to learn as an adult.

That doesn't mean these kids that can point a mouse and play Pokemon Go have the slightest knowledge about how their device actually works. 

As I said if you took a straw poll of kids in the street and asked them what RAM and ROM stands for it would be laughably bad results.

But you don't need to understand that to be computer literate. You don't even need it to program as software packages do half the work for you and computing power is so great. Efficiency is largely irrelevant now.

1 hour ago, Cream Cheese said:

I asked you not to say anything to anyone.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, ScotSquid said:

Well you have just validated my point. As I said the young can just use a UI better. Because they've grown up in an era where tablets, phones and laptops are plentiful. Old people didn't. And it's harder to learn as an adult.

That doesn't mean these kids that can point a mouse and play Pokemon Go have the slightest knowledge about how their device actually works. 

As I said if you took a straw poll of kids in the street and asked them what RAM and ROM stands for it would be laughably bad results.

But you don't need to understand that to be computer literate. You don't even need it to program as software packages do half the work for you and computing power is so great. Efficiency is largely irrelevant now.

Are you suggesting that people who can't use the UI have a better understanding of how it works? That's desperate old man. Sometimes you just need to accept that you're in the wrong and step away from the debate. Young people are far better educated now than they were back then. I know old people like to complain that young people are lazy and don't have a clue about anything. But really, it's old people who are lost in the modern world. Outdated knowledge, outdated political views..... they're dying out mate.

9 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

Even if this post has an element of truth to it ( doubtful ) You don't teach computing, you teach button pressing and screen swiping

Just now, WILLIEA said:

Even if this post has an element of truth to it ( doubtful ) You don't teach computing, you teach button pressing and screen swiping

No. But I study computing at a high level. This includes software, hardware, programming, networking and security. Things you and your old chums on here clearly know nothing about. :P

On 27/08/2016 at 19:45, AyrExile said:

Scotland won't be running its own affairs or have full control of its destiny because if it isn't Westminster then Brussels will be pulling the strings. That certainly isn't the independence you speak of. How can you accuse Westminster of mismanaging the economy when the UK is around the sixth biggest in the world. For a small island is that not punching above its weight?

Compare and contrast the level of control that france, belgguim, The Netherlands etc have over their fiscal, financial and social policies and the equivalent for Scotland in the UK. Independence does not mean isolation, and there will always be trade offs in sovereignty for market access. It's about the level of interdependence we require and if GERS proves anything, it's that the incorporating UK union is suffocating Scotland.

For the record The UK economy is supremely unblananced, with a terrible balance of trade. We simply don't export enough stuff, or even consume enough locally made stuff and rely on the London financial sector above all else to keep the thing running, indeed the entire point of British policy is to use London to make money and redistribute out to the regions after. The GERS deficit is the direct result of imposing fiscal and financial policies suited to the South East of England on Scotland. There is a drag in income tax take to the tune of £1.2 billion, and other taxes for a total of £2.8 billion p.a. because of the way the unitary tax system allows people to register domiciles and because the income tax system is not optimised for the demographics in Scotland. There is the attendant loss in NI take along side that tax drag. There is no room for Scotland to increase it's population through tailored immigration policies, or to opt out of UK wide spending that we neither need or want (including a near £2 billion overpsend in defence, relative to the forces raised and stationed here).

The Scottish government will shortly become responsible for setting income tax bands, and could be far more radical on local taxes where it could raise significantly more than it does, even allowing for that it'll still only be directly responsible for about a quarter of the revenue it technically raises, as the rest of income tax including the PA , savings and dividend rates remain reserved. The opportunity for Scotland to significantly alter it's economic destiny within the Union, and without immolating large chunks of the public domain are therefore severely limited. It's like being stranded off a beach, the longer you wait, the higher the tide coming in and the less room for manouvere you've got - and the longer it takes to swim back to shore.

3 hours ago, Cream Cheese said:

Are you suggesting that people who can't use the UI have a better understanding of how it works? That's desperate old man. Sometimes you just need to accept that you're in the wrong and step away from the debate. Young people are far better educated now than they were back then. I know old people like to complain that young people are lazy and don't have a clue about anything. But really, it's old people who are lost in the modern world. Outdated knowledge, outdated political views..... they're dying out mate.

Err no. I just destroyed your laughable claim that RAM and ROM are second nature to kids these days. A hilarious claim.

Being able to use a computer in no way whatsoever qualifies someone to know how it works. 

I've made no comment on the older generation and their use of technology. As I said It's quite obvious that young children who are brought up with technology find using it second nature. Those in their elderly years didn't and don't.

What a complete mess you've made of this. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Compare and contrast the level of control that france, belgguim, The Netherlands etc have over their fiscal, financial and social policies and the equivalent for Scotland in the UK. Independence does not mean isolation, and there will always be trade offs in sovereignty for market access. It's about the level of interdependence we require and if GERS proves anything, it's that the incorporating UK union is suffocating Scotland.

For the record The UK economy is supremely unblananced, with a terrible balance of trade. We simply don't export enough stuff, or even consume enough locally made stuff and rely on the London financial sector above all else to keep the thing running, indeed the entire point of British policy is to use London to make money and redistribute out to the regions after. The GERS deficit is the direct result of imposing fiscal and financial policies suited to the South East of England on Scotland. There is a drag in income tax take to the tune of £1.2 billion, and other taxes for a total of £2.8 billion p.a. because of the way the unitary tax system allows people to register domiciles and because the income tax system is not optimised for the demographics in Scotland. There is the attendant loss in NI take along side that tax drag. There is no room for Scotland to increase it's population through tailored immigration policies, or to opt out of UK wide spending that we neither need or want (including a near £2 billion overpsend in defence, relative to the forces raised and stationed here).

The Scottish government will shortly become responsible for setting income tax bands, and could be far more radical on local taxes where it could raise significantly more than it does, even allowing for that it'll still only be directly responsible for about a quarter of the revenue it technically raises, as the rest of income tax including the PA , savings and dividend rates remain reserved. The opportunity for Scotland to significantly alter it's economic destiny within the Union, and without immolating large chunks of the public domain are therefore severely limited. It's like being stranded off a beach, the longer you wait, the higher the tide coming in and the less room for manouvere you've got - and the longer it takes to swim back to shore.

What's any of this got to do with computers?

24 minutes ago, ScotSquid said:

Err no. I just destroyed your laughable claim that RAM and ROM are second nature to kids these days. A hilarious claim

It really isn't. You underestimate the intelligence of the new generation. Young people learn more in the space of 5 years, than the last generation did over a life time.

2 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

They signed it though. So do you dispute that France, Belgium and the Netherlands are independent ?
That was my point.

No it wasn't your point nor did I argue that these countries were not independent.  Your point was specifically about them having control of ALL their money which they quite clearly do not have.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Scotland to be an independent country and a member of the EU.  What is wrong is presenting membership of the EU as having no detriment to the sovereignty of Scotland - it quite clearly does.

45 minutes ago, strichener said:

No it wasn't your point nor did I argue that these countries were not independent.  Your point was specifically about them having control of ALL their money which they quite clearly do not have.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Scotland to be an independent country and a member of the EU.  What is wrong is presenting membership of the EU as having no detriment to the sovereignty of Scotland - it quite clearly does.

A significantly smaller detriment than membership of the UK.