When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Yeah, you’re a joyless boreism.

On the very day of a one hundred thousand tragedies, you ignore the despair in favour of cheap shots.

Me? I'm reflecting and feeling for all of those poor souls who have slipped away.

Poor Boris, his funny hair and public school prose cannot hide just how poorly he is performing.

Edited by sophia

They would be raging about that if they knew though. But if you try to tell them they don't believe you, if you tell them iScotland plans to double the state pension to bring it in line with OECD average they immediately dismiss it as 'how would we pay for it'. These people are conditioned, there's no getting through to them.
I don't think you'll see mass outrage after May when our democratic wishes are once again ignored, but remember that 3.5% thing, well its about 7% of yessers then, which is realistic.

On the state pensions, these are paid via NI contributions so it follows that any increase in the pension would be paid by an increase in NI? That correct? No voters always throw the pension question in and want to make sure i am correct [emoji23]

Well, if it’s rubbish, why don’t they say so?

I suspect because they were happy to go along with the figures when they were positive (oil revenues were high) so, now they are not so positive, they cant be seen to question them.

The state pension paid to current pensioners is paid out of current contributions.
There is no fund.
If you increase pensions you need either to increase contributions or increase GDP which will give a bigger return on larger earnings overall.

I don’t mind contributions increasing to support a better state pension. No voters consistently bang on about increased taxes in an independent scotland which, again, is not a bad thing to ensure public services are improved. At least if we were not ruled by the tories then any tax rises would be aimed at people who are able to sustain it.

The GDP of scotland will surely be taking a hit at the moment by being part of the UK due to brexit. The fishing industry has been obliterated.

Scotland has lots of natural resources. I would much rather these were used to support scotland rather than given to the UK and we get a proportion back and then told “yeah but you cost us more money than you give so be grateful”.

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I don’t mind contributions increasing to support a better state pension. No voters consistently bang on about increased taxes in an independent scotland which, again, is not a bad thing to ensure public services are improved. At least if we were not ruled by the tories then any tax rises would be aimed at people who are able to sustain it.

The GDP of scotland will surely be taking a hit at the moment by being part of the UK due to brexit. The fishing industry has been obliterated.

Scotland has lots of natural resources. I would much rather these were used to support scotland rather than given to the UK and we get a proportion back and then told “yeah but you cost us more money than you give so be grateful”.

Taxes in Scotland are already higher for middle and higher earners than in RUK.

We also have far fewer high earners than London and the South East which means that tax rises need to be spread over a wider range of incomes than merely ‘hammering the rich’. There aren’t enough of them.

All countries are taking a hit to GDP.
The fishing industry is minuscule re. GDP but, in a short period it will bounce back. Demand everywhere has reduced for top of the range fish and shellfish as restaurants are shut and people tend not to cook lobsters, crab etc. at home.

Brexit is a short term problem as, with fishing, supply is limited and once demand picks up, Scottish fishermen will be fine.

Natural resources - fossil fuels are a no- no just now, wrongly in my opinion but the oil industry  currently contributes very little to the economy.

Regarding wind and green energy, the SG talks the talk but in reality the industry is controlled from abroad. Hardly any activity takes place in Scotland apart from the consumer end of the market. Depressing, I’m afraid.

We also have far fewer high earners than London and the South East which means that tax rises need to be spread over a wider range of incomes than merely ‘hammering the rich’. There aren’t enough of them.
The fishing industry is minuscule re. GDP but, in a short period it will bounce back. Demand everywhere has reduced for top of the range fish and shellfish as restaurants are shut and people tend not to cook lobsters, crab etc. at home.
Brexit is a short term problem as, with fishing, supply is limited and once demand picks up, Scottish fishermen will be fine.
Natural resources - fossil fuels are a no- no just now, wrongly in my opinion but the oil industry  currently contributes very little to the economy.
Regarding wind and green energy, the SG talks the talk but in reality the industry is controlled from abroad. Hardly any activity takes place in Scotland apart from the consumer end of the market. Depressing, I’m afraid.

Perhaps the whole covid may change the landscape of the Uk as people move away from london as working from home becomes more acceptable. I know Inverness has seen an increase in people from london looking to move with the direct flights available.

On the last point, does the SG not have any control over corporate tax so therefore, even if they wanted to do something about it, they cant because it is controlled by westminster?

16 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I had a look at state pension contributions in Germany  which has double the state pension than the uk according to the table above.

A German worker pays 18.6% on earned income of which the employer pays half.

By contrast a UK worker pays NI if you earn over £183 per week, if you earn more than that figure you pay 12% of your earnings.

27 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

When did you go from yes to no?

What is your view on companies and individuals who legally avoid paying tax - are you happy that the rest of us cover the shortfall, or do you think the rules need tightened ?

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

How can you say Brexit is a short term problem?

You're in la-la land about the whole thing. You really are.

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What is your view on companies and individuals who legally avoid paying tax - are you happy that the rest of us cover the shortfall, or do you think the rules need tightened ?

Not quite sure what you mean.

Everyone is entitled to legally minimise their tax bills.

Im sure you do.

What do you want done?

How can you say Brexit is a short term problem?
You're in la-la land about the whole thing. You really are.

This is what frustrates me and i say this as a yes voter.

Why not offer a reasoned debate rather than just resorting to the above?

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

This is what frustrates me and i say this as a yes voter.

Why not offer a reasoned debate rather than just resorting to the above?

I tried that yesterday but the unsubstantiated claims still keep coming.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Im sure you do.
What do you want done?
I certainly do not, I've been PAYE all my days and have no investments or dividends. And I think you know exactly what I mean; offshore trusts, tax havens, the UK's criminally lax attitude to financial malfeasance such as money laundering. It's happening on an industrial scale and it's one of the many factors in 1 in 4 children in Scotland being raised in poverty.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
29 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Im sure you do.
What do you want done?

I certainly do not, I've been PAYE all my days and have no investments or dividends. And I think you know exactly what I mean; offshore trusts, tax havens, the UK's criminally lax attitude to financial malfeasance such as money laundering. It's happening on an industrial scale and it's one of the many factors in 1 in 4 children in Scotland being raised in poverty.

Yes, I know what you mean. 
Im just straightforward self- employed, no offshore trusts, etc.

However, it’s easy to talk about these things but harder to legislate. Labour and Conservative have tried but it’s not as easy as you make out and I wonder if it’s maybe overdone?

52 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Im sure you do.

What do you want done?

Not if you're on PAYE as the vast majority of the working population are, surely if you are a working adult you know that?

Paying into a pension for example can help but being taxed at salary source doesn't leave much room for tax relief.

Edited by SandyCromarty