When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

It’s delusional because Scotland has been told that there is a long winded process and it’s not remotely a given that membership will be granted.

The fact that the electorate of many member states are eager for exit referendums would tend to indicate that it’s failing. That along with propping up basket case member states and being unaccountable would make it a club not worth joining. There are obviously many other reasons.

I don't recall anyone in the EU saying it's not remotely a given. Care to share sources? I can pull up a few that contradict you but you already know that.

What you call basket case member states I call fellow Europeans. What a way to think.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Can you provide evidence for this fact, please?

I’m not disputing that this may be the case, just interested to see the evidence.

From what I recall, the opposite is true, with even the far right parties of Europe rowing back on pledging EU referendums (due to Brexit causing a boost in support of the institution). The claim that swaths of Europe are pressing to leave the EU is a line trotted out by Farage and lapped up by the six-toed mutants who think their unelected hate preacher is the new messiah. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/25/uk/uk-supports-eu-four-years-after-brexit-intl-gbr/index.html

Edited by Antlion

Evidence, I’m not so sure, but certain broadsheets were reporting that the Belgian, Dutch and especially the Italians wanted referendums. Many Germans are also very unhappy about the direction that the EU is going. The main problem being, certain  countries only play by the rules when it suits. 

The length of time it takes to rejoin the EU is a complete dead herring. Scotland could align to all of the rules of the Customs Union and single market in very short order. If that had been the Brexit deal, it would have been done and dusted in 2016. Brexit was a nightmare (and still is) because of Rule Brittania. 

Two parties who actually want to align on stuff can do so very quickly and the rest can catch up in its own time. 

Similarly, the relationship with rUK depends on how petty either side decides to be. If folk don't want a car crash, it's easily enough avoided. 

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

:lol: Not really a fact then, is it? 

But what’s presented to the contrary is factual though. Don’t be so puerile. 
There is plenty anti EU sentiment beyond these isles, only the delusional think otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

There is plenty anti EU sentiment beyond these isles, only the delusional think otherwise. 

In the beginning was the lying c**t, and the lying c**t was for Brexit, and Brexit was for lying c***s.

039C8872-57AC-4256-A903-0C9CA2178694.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

What the f**k are you talking about?

I asked you if you could provide evidence for “the fact that the electorate of many member states are eager for exit referendums” and you responded with no.

“Some people in EU member states want to leave the EU” isn’t being disputed. It’s just that those people, according to the evidence provided thus far, are a small minority across the board, and aren’t likely to cause the EU to fail any time soon.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

32 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Evidence, I’m not so sure, but certain broadsheets were reporting that the Belgian, Dutch and especially the Italians wanted referendums. Many Germans are also very unhappy about the direction that the EU is going. 

One report from any of those countries will be fine. If there have been many calls for this to happen and it's been reported across various broadsheets then evidence wouldn't be too hard to find. 

This from 2019 would suggest you are talking out your hoop though - https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019/10/14/the-european-union/

Let’s clear up some misunderstandings.

I am a British nationalist.

My country is Great Britain (UK), call it what you like. 
I feel just as much aligned with a Yorkshireman as I do with an Aberdonian.

I also feel Scottish as I was born here and am from Ulster Scottish heritage.

I therefore feel no need for my country to be independent as it already is, especially after Brexit.

I accept that some folks feel differently and want independence for Scotland as is their right.

I agree that economics, prosperity, trade, etc doesn’t come in to it and a desire for sovereignty is a noble cause.

However, quite a large number of ‘soft Yes voters’ don’t quite feel as strongly as that and it is them that need to be convinced of the economic arguments, and a prolonged period of austerity as outlined by the Growth Commission might be ‘offputting’, to say the least.

Hopefully, this is clear, but I won’t bank on it.

Regarding the point about other European countries leaving the EU, I think the desire is there, but the practicalities are horrendous due to most of them being in the eurozone.

For them to leave would be an operational nightmare!!
Fortunately, we retained the pound which made it substantially easier.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

However, quite a large number of ‘soft Yes voters’ don’t quite feel as strongly as that and it is them that need to be convinced of the economic arguments, and a prolonged period of austerity as outlined by the Growth Commission might be ‘offputting’, to say the least.

Can you tell me how the UK, currently in around £1.5 trillion debt, are planning on dealing with that debt and the economic fall out from coronavirus?

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I also feel Scottish as I was born here and am from Ulster Scottish heritage.

I therefore feel no need for my country to be independent as it already is, especially after Brexit.

I accept that some folks feel differently and want independence for Scotland as is their right.

I agree that economics, prosperity, trade, etc doesn’t come in to it and a desire for sovereignty is a noble cause.

Hopefully, this is clear, but I won’t bank on it.

Can't tell you where to draw the lines of your identity but I don't think soft Yes voters will be any more enamoured with another few decades of Tory-lead idealogical austerity given we've already lived it for the last 10 years. At least if an independent Scotland had to cut its cloth it would just be ours to cut and decide how we cut it rather than powerlessly eating shit from Westminster.

13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

And we all know how exclusivist British nationalism is - it pretends to champion solidarity and unity, but the thought of being aligned with a Dubliner or a Galwegian or a Münchner causes gastrointestinal reflux.

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

It’s delusional because Scotland has been told that there is a long winded process and it’s not remotely a given that membership will be granted.

The fact that the electorate of many member states are eager for exit referendums would tend to indicate that it’s failing. That along with propping up basket case member states and being unaccountable would make it a club not worth joining. There are obviously many other reasons.

The "basket case member state" has just left the EU ya numpty - don't you read the news?

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Can't tell you where to draw the lines of your identity but I don't think soft Yes voters will be any more enamoured with another few decades of Tory-lead idealogical austerity given we've already lived it for the last 10 years. At least if an independent Scotland had to cut its cloth it would just be ours to cut and decide how we cut it rather than powerlessly eating shit from Westminster.

Fair enough.

Reasonable position.