When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Falcor Roar said:

There's at least a dozen fairly well respected posters at the beginning of the Hillsborough thread with the same ill informed opinion. 

I remember, not sure about who. It was probably during the spell that Bath boy was posting on here. Easily influenced, poor lad. Then he started listening to Graham Linehan. 

5 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

I would give this more weight if I didn't know that you have no respect for the FM and simply want her reputation to be trashed.

I am not a fan of the way the SNP are going about governing nor do I think they are being independence any closer.  I think Sturgeon is a good speaker and shows genuine empathy but I don't believe that she is a good strategist.  None of this takes away from the fact that she and the Scottish Government have quite clearly fucked up in the Salmond investigation and should rightly be called.out on it.

1. FM tells Parliament that she will fully cooperate with the enquiry and then doesn't.

2. The FM tells Parliament that the first time she knew about this was in a meeting with Salmond.  It wasn't.

3. The FM held a.meeting with a representative of Salmond and did not record the meeting or did record the meeting and it was subsequently removed fronher diary.

4. The chief executive of the SNP sends text that would give question to his motives.

5.  The chief executive of the SNP and the FM provide contradictory details on the Alex meeting.  One claiming that it was Party business whilst the other stating that it was Government business. 

Anyone that thinks that the two of them never discussed a meeting in their own home where the former First Minister discussed an investigation into his behaviour.  The fallout from which had the ability to affect both the Government and the SNP is either being deliberated blinkered or is an absolute idiot.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Salmond did not, to my understanding, deny that any of the stuff happened, merely that it was not criminal.

As far as I recall, in addition to pleading not guilty to every charge, he claimed that the events leading to the many of the charges did not actally happen.. The obvious one that he didn't deny was the "sleepy consensual cuddle", where the verdict was "not proven"

However, on the most serious charge (the alleged attempted rape of witness H in June 2014), he produced compelling evidence that she had not been in Bute House on the particular evening she described.

I cannot be bothered looking up his response to every single charge, but here's a few quotes

Re witness G "It never happened. I didn't touch her bottom"

Re witness A (July 2008 charge) "I would never under any circumstances be touching (witness name) inappropriately. These are all public places. It would be insane to do anything like that. These claims are a fabrication."

Re witness A (December 2010 charge) "What's a fabrication is that on the dance floor, I proceeded to sexually assault her. It's not just a fabrication, it's ludicrous"

On each of these 4 charges (and more)  he denied that the events libelled had happened. The prosecution were unable to prove that they had actually happened, so the jury (correctly) found him not guilty.

The SNP has a lot of shite in prominent positions. But politics is by and large devoid of talent.

In an ideal world, Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson (who will soon return tbf) could be doing a lot of good for the party to this day instead of gross incompetence from the likes of Swinney or embarrassing the party down South like Blackford.

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

None of this takes away from the fact that she and the Scottish Government have quite clearly fucked up in the Salmond investigation and should rightly be called.out on it.

They have been, in the civil trial, and the criminal trial exonerated Salmond. It should have been over. The failures in process were specifically pointed out in the civil judgement, I'm not sure why it matters when exactly various people first heard about the allegations. If you think this is bad imagine the feeding frenzy if they had tried to cover it up, especially in the climate of #metoo of the time. I can understand the opposition parties going on a full scale trawling exercise for dirt, but it's beyond me why people supposedly in favour of independence want to promote it as a big issue a few months before a hugely important election when the polls have never been better.

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

1. FM tells Parliament that she will fully cooperate with the enquiry and then doesn't.

Sturgeon was called to submit written evidence and has done, so what has she not done?

39 minutes ago, strichener said:

2. The FM tells Parliament that the first time she knew about this was in a meeting with Salmond.  It wasn't.

So?

40 minutes ago, strichener said:

3. The FM held a.meeting with a representative of Salmond and did not record the meeting or did record the meeting and it was subsequently removed fronher diary.

So?

40 minutes ago, strichener said:

4. The chief executive of the SNP sends text that would give question to his motives

The Chief Executive of the SNP is not Nicola Sturgeon. 

41 minutes ago, strichener said:

5.  The chief executive of the SNP and the FM provide contradictory details on the Alex meeting.  One claiming that it was Party business whilst the other stating that it was Government business. 

So?  What does that mean? People remembering things differently or a grand Machiavellian conspiracy ? You'd think they'd get their stories straight, right?

43 minutes ago, strichener said:

Anyone that thinks that the two of them never discussed a meeting in their own home where the former First Minister discussed an investigation into his behaviour.  The fallout from which had the ability to affect both the Government and the SNP is either being deliberated blinkered or is an absolute idiot.

Uh-huh.  This is all circumstantial "no smoke without fire" stuff from people who can't believe that a politician could be honest because they're used to Westminster standards.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

Sturgeon was called to submit written evidence and has done, so what has she not done?

So?

So?

The Chief Executive of the SNP is not Nicola Sturgeon. 

So?  What does that mean? People remembering things differently or a grand Machiavellian conspiracy ? You'd think they'd get their stories straight, right?

Uh-huh.  This is all circumstantial "no smoke without fire" stuff from people who can't believe that a politician could be honest because they're used to Westminster standards.

Yes but we know you match the last three words of the post you quoted.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They have been, in the civil trial, and the criminal trial exonerated Salmond. It should have been over. The failures in process were specifically pointed out in the civil judgement, I'm not sure why it matters when exactly various people first heard about the allegations. If you think this is bad imagine the feeding frenzy if they had tried to cover it up, especially in the climate of #metoo of the time. I can understand the opposition parties going on a full scale trawling exercise for dirt, but it's beyond me why people supposedly in favour of independence want to promote it as a big issue a few months before a hugely important election when the polls have never been better.

As the current government of Scotland then quite obviously they should be held to account by Parliament.

Being in favour of independence does not give the SNP a free pass.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Given his strict criteria, who should lead each party in Scotland according to strichener?

Be interesting to see how far down each party he gets.

It wouldn't be interesting at all.  I am keen to know what my criteria is that would preclude so many.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The SNP has a lot of shite in prominent positions. But politics is by and large devoid of talent.

In an ideal world, Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson (who will soon return tbf) could be doing a lot of good for the party to this day instead of gross incompetence from the likes of Swinney or embarrassing the party down South like Blackford.

Polling shows that Alex Salmond is nearly as unpopular in Scotland now as Boris Johnson.

IMO one of the major reasons why there's not more talent in politics is because of the ceaseless, vacuous, furious torrent of abuse from the public. A politician can't eat a bacon sandwich in this country without the public losing their minds. The kind of person who's willing to put up with that is probably disproportionately likely to be a sociopath, a moron, corrupt or a combination of all three.

Who here would advise their kids to go into politics?

13 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

You can always tell when someones pushed Pep's buttons because you can leave P&B alone for a quarter of an hour and when you get back this thread will have another 8 pages

At least he's leaving the poor Bundesliga alone for a while.