When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, jakedee said:

My wife,who worked as cabin crew on the Edinburgh to London flights,when I met her in the early 90's described Alex Salmond as a creepy sex pest then.
He may have been found not guilty of the allegations against him, but he does have a history.

Really?  What did he do? Did she report him?

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Not directly related to this discussion, but the stuff about Salmond always reminds me of back in ~2010 something that quite often came up was how folk, women in particular, 'just didn't like him' or the like or thought he came across as divisive or whatever. This was a a real thing, far more than Sturgeon some people really seemed to find him off putting, even people who basically shared his politics. I never really got it, I thought he came across really well on telly etc, and I supported him/the SNP as a result. It was only when I met him a few times in person I really understood. Even aside from the court case etc, the guy is an absolute boor imo. Maybe women have a more sensitive antenna for that kind of thing and I had to see it in person to get it.

Anyway, regards the actual initial question, JLD got it right in that this probably won't make too much difference to the independence cause. The interesting thing though is that it will rumble on and on even if the SNP win the election by a landslide. In most parties that's the kind of thing that would crush internal drama. A criticism I think you can make of the FM is that she doesn't seem to have cultivated too many loyalists to her within the party - in the sense that it's hard to pick out people who are her allies in the way that Salmond has his outriders. 

People think support for the SNP shot up after indyref because of the result. That's true of the membership, but not among voters. Polling showed that support for the SNP among men stayed the same - it was support among women that bounced substantially. The extent to which that's because Salmond was gone or his successor was female we'll never know, but I think it was more the former than the latter. While Salmond was leader the SNP always did better among men than women, and that gap vanished the day Salmond quit.

A huge win for the SNP won't quell the internal drama because Scotland is an accidental one-party state, so all the fights that matter are inside that one party rather than between the parties. Also, many in and around the party don't feel the need to keep discipline because they're not worried about it carrying an electoral cost.

Anyway, there's a lot of folk who've never believed a single word Salmond has said in his life that are treating him as gospel now. Funny that.

24 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Having looked at the "allegations" I can't see what the problem is. Who gives a shit if Sturgeon was told of the Salmond issue three days earlier than she recalled?

And why would she lie rather than have forgotten about it when Salmond was the primary fucking witness to the meeting?

Between this and bitching about people forcing him to perform fellatio on trans people, Pep's clearly off his meds again.

I still think he's Supras. The same beetle-browed obsessive fury and desperation for every single discussion to be focused entirely on him.

Really?  What did he do? Did she report him?
Being cabin crew, as you could imagine there was,at that time, plenty " inappropriate suggestions" made towards them. She remembers him because he was "famous".
She could also name a few more, but that's irrelevant to this thread.

14 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Bit unfair to use the man's solicitors comments against him tbh. The man was on trial effectively for his life. The solicitors job at the time was to get him off.

If folk want to use the outcome of the trial as evidence in his favour then it's surely not unreasonable to use his defence against him in response.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You keep saying this, where are you getting it from, and why did he feel the need to give her a formal apology? Do you think she should have resigned instead making the complaint, hopefully stopping his admitted bad behaviour? Anyway, all this stuff was settled in court, the thing now is Salmond delighting the Unionist Parties in the run up to the election, Jackie Baillie and Douglas Ross are creaming themselves. I doubt it will have much effect, the Baathist Cherry cult is much shoutier on social media than in reality. If they miraculously managed to have any effect it would put back the SNP and any prospect of independence by 20 years. 

This is complete misdirection.  What happened in the trial is documented accounts of alleged criminal behaviour that was found not to be illegal by a jury.  What Salmond had always claimed was that there was a conspiracy within the SNP and government to taint him. 

Did Nicola break the ministerial code?  Did she lie to Parliament?  Did she have meetings that were not recorded?  None of these questions have been investigated and found to be unproven.  Depending on your political persuasion you are likely to come down on on side or the other until such time as the evidence is provided.  It is telling that the official spokesperson for the first minister stated

"We should always remember that the roots of this issue lie in complaints made by women about Alex Salmond’s behaviour whilst he was first minister, aspects of which he has conceded."

That would quite rightly gain a whataboutery comment if it was posted in P & B.  It is then compounded by the spokesperson continuing with

"“It is not surprising therefore that he continues to try to divert focus from that by seeking to malign the reputation of the First Minister and by spinning false conspiracy theories"

There is no focus on his behaviour as First Minister and the entire statement looks like the current First Minister is behaving in a manner that is being projected onto Alex Salmond.

Regardless of Alex Salmond's behaviour, Nicola Sturgeon's behaviour needs to be properly investigated.  If everyone is so sure that Independence is bigger than any individual and bigger than the SNP then they should be calling for our top politician to explain why they have been less than truthful about their role in the saga.  Why did the ministerial diary not have details of these meetings and more importantly were they actually recorded and then removed?

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

You simply do not turn these kind of numbers around. Your boy's finished.

I'm not sure if this was in response to my post but if it was, popularity is neither here nor there.  I don't see Salmond making a political comeback.  I also think that if there is any hint that the FM has been untruthful or is being economic with the truth that she will be gone and rightly so.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

I also think that if there is any hint that the FM has been untruthful or is being economic with the truth that she will be gone and rightly so.

She'd be the first modern day politician to resign on such flimsy charges. I suspect your neutrality on this matter.

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

I'm not sure if this was in response to my post but if it was, popularity is neither here nor there.  I don't see Salmond making a political comeback.  I also think that if there is any hint that the FM has been untruthful or is being economic with the truth that she will be gone and rightly so.

Sorry to wilt your boner but nobody sensible gives a shit if she heard about Salmond's behaviour three days earlier than she said.

9 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Sorry to wilt your boner but nobody in the Nic faction if the SNP gives a shit if she heard about Salmond's behaviour three days earlier than she said.

FTFY

Meanwhile those that expect our FM to have integrity think otherwise.

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's hilarious how these batshit mental Yoons think that this is somehow the silver bullet that is going to destroy Nicola Sturgeon. 

The fact is, 95% of Scots do not give a flying shit about this. Most won't even know what's going on, and those that do care nothing about the incessant 'he said, she said' tittle tattle and nonsense. 

The only people who care about this are those terrified of Sturgeon's popularity and utter competence.