When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

I'm just stating a fact, Singapore is the safest and cleanest countries to visit in Asia, people feel free to venture out at night in all areas.

Cameras are everywhere and the police are strict, even your hotel lift will be fitted with a camera.

It's easy to call it a police state by some but the benefit of not even being accosted by beggers or anything far worse is a positive.

Do they hide the beggars away with the migrant workers ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/singapore-million-migrant-workers-suffer-as-covid-19-surges-back

On 06/09/2020 at 17:38, MONKMAN said:

No sane person thinks UDI is even an option.

I think armed insurrection is an option if people’s legitimate expression of will is denied.

If a majority of those who vote in Scotland next year support a party in favour of another Referendum and said Referendum  is denied then I’d advocate a number of us killing leading Tories (or someone close to them) until a Referendum is agreed.

I know that is against the law but it would be in a specific and limited way and be totally justifiable.

9 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Singapore is the only nation I know where a female can walk through the city alone at 2am and not be molested.

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

What?

For a time Sandy used to prefer to be called Sandra. I don't think other cities were attempted.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think armed insurrection is an option if people’s legitimate expression of will is denied.

If a majority of those who vote in Scotland next year support a party in favour of another Referendum and said Referendum  is denied then I’d advocate a number of us killing leading Tories (or someone close to them) until a Referendum is agreed.

I know that is against the law but it would be in a specific and limited way and be totally justifiable.

We could just crowdfund the IRA instead or something. 

1 minute ago, speckled tangerine said:

Do they still pass tins around places like Bairds Bar for "the cause" under the premise of taking 6 year old cancer sufferer Patrick to Disneyland?

No idea tbh. You'd think these things could move with the times though and make use of facilities like Paypal 😂

17 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

So living in a police state (if it's easy to call it that then it probably is, I don't really know but using your argument) is worth it because, amongst other things, you don't get bothered by people begging so that they can eat? Get me on that plane!

From Drugs and Alcohol forums I have attended where discussions have taken place with victims, drug addicts and parents the vast majority of begging on our streets is motivated by drug use. 

On 08/09/2020 at 16:45, Bob Mahelp said:

The migrant workers in say Keppel's shipyard are mainly from Bangladesh and Myanamar, I can vouch that a few years back depending on their skill level payment was $16 - $26 Sing a day, the term of their contract would be around a year, accommodation and flights are provided but they have to feed themselves, compare that to say the $1 - $3 a day for manual  labour in Bangladesh at that time these guys would return home with a considerable wedge saved and capable of opening a business in their home towns.

It must be attractive as there is no shortage of applications for work from these countries, I realise that it must look bad and not ideal from a Western European benefit state point of view but the reality is that is very common in some parts of the world with Indian and Filipino labour used in many areas, but it does give some young men the only chance to better them and their families for giving up a year or two of their lives. 

By the way Keppel when it only employed Sinaporeans was in my opinion the best yard I had experienced, now it's  a shadow of what it once was. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

From Drugs and Alcohol forums I have attended where discussions have taken place with victims, drug addicts and parents the vast majority of begging on our streets is motivated by drug use. 

Again, even accepting your hypothesis, that leaves a significant number of people begging in order to eat. And doesn't answer why a police state is an acceptable or proportionate solution to this problem

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Again, even accepting your hypothesis, that leaves a significant number of people begging in order to eat. And doesn't answer why a police state is an acceptable or proportionate solution to this problem

As I said we were shown stats that begging in Scotlands streets were in the main due to drug misuse, but you are in denial of that, from what we were shown I cannot accept your statement that there is a significant amount of people begging money for food, if there are it would be in very small numbers for that reason as opposed to the drug misuse. There are benefits, which I know have been severely cut, and sadly there are food banks.

I recall the time I was standing in Queen Street Station when this guy tapped me for money 'For a cup of coffee' he was in a bit of  a state so I said no way you'll just spend it on drink, the cheeky b*****d  told me to Feck Aff as it was feck all to dae wi me what he spent his money on.

Hopefully one day when all this Covid is in the past you will get the chance to take a trip to Singapore sometime and  see it first hand, believe me you will enjoy the experience. 

19 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

As I said we were shown stats that begging in Scotlands streets were in the main due to drug misuse, but you are in denial of that, from what we were shown I cannot accept your statement that there is a significant amount of people begging money for food, if there are it would be in very small numbers for that reason as opposed to the drug misuse. There are benefits, which I know have been severely cut, and sadly there are food banks.

I recall the time I was standing in Queen Street Station when this guy tapped me for money 'For a cup of coffee' he was in a bit of  a state so I said no way you'll just spend it on drink, the cheeky b*****d  told me to Feck Aff as it was feck all to dae wi me what he spent his money on.

Hopefully one day when all this Covid is in the past you will get the chance to take a trip to Singapore sometime and  see it first hand, believe me you will enjoy the experience. 

Pal, you're arguing that you wouldn't mind a police state because beggars spend money on drugs. I'd drop the condescending tone tbh. 

I'd say any number of people begging for money for food is significant in a developed country, and you and a bunch of other busy bodies being "shown stats" that show there is a high drug motivation doesn't mean we should be bundling them in the back of vans so they're out of our sight.

I am very sorry that someone was once rude to you outside a train station, sounds horrific. I'm sure I would enjoy Singapore, seems nice, but I doubt I'd be wondering around going "you know what makes this great? The iron grip of the police meaning there's no beggars about."

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Pal, you're arguing that you wouldn't mind a police state because beggars spend money on drugs. I'd drop the condescending tone tbh. 

I'd say any number of people begging for money for food is significant in a developed country, and you and a bunch of other busy bodies being "shown stats" that show there is a high drug motivation doesn't mean we should be bundling them in the back of vans so they're out of our sight.

I am very sorry that someone was once rude to you outside a train station, sounds horrific. I'm sure I would enjoy Singapore, seems nice, but I doubt I'd be wondering around going "you know what makes this great? The iron grip of the police meaning there's no beggars about."

Mostly I enjoyed it for the curry rice dishes. Also, you get amazing Byrianis in the Indian district. That and the sunshine.

And the smoked Salmon vending machines.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/worlds-first-salmon-atm

Edited by renton

14 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

thats a running joke - last heard Frankie Boyle reference it. 

14 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Probably put a bit of a dampener on @The_Kincardine's visit to Glasgow tbf. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
28 minutes ago, G51 said:

https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2020/09/09/self-determination-motion-passed-overwhelmingly

Shetland Island councillors to begin exploring options for political and financial self-determination.

I'm all for it. In an independent Scotland it would be great to see the northern Isles have more devolved powers. It would be awful if all power was centralised in Edinburgh. 

I suspect though that the council there is run by LibDem/Unionist fuckwits who hate the SNP and are more interested in making a ridiculous statement which will get splashed on the front page of BritNat rags. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp