When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UDI would be a total minefield.  It could potentially deligitimise the Yes movement altogether and push the issue back years - just as we saw in Catalonia.  If UDI is to work, it can only work if other countries acknowledge it - and who would?  

A wildcat referendum would be a bad idea and could potentially backfire as the unionist side would most likely boycott it.  It would only work if Yes won with a huge majority and a huge turnout and even then could be troublesome.  An outright declaration of UDI without an official referendum (or some other pre-agreed settlement) would be a disaster.

Edited by Highland Capital

22 hours ago, strichener said:

Were you as thick then or is it just senility setting in?  You think that because Scotland was an independent nation over 300 years ago that it will give reason for the EU to treat it differently to Catalonia?  I'll have some of whatever you are taking.  It is certainly more potent than anything you could have obtained from the Mormond.

A petty and small minded response to a post of mine, and typical of a closet unionist fool who it would appear lives in the same village as Alex Salmond.

At least Kincardine doesn't resort to schoolboy sniping in his posts.

The ignore bin/button for the little strichener.

On 05/09/2020 at 22:37, ICTJohnboy said:

From the Herald March 17th...

SNP Brexit Secretary Michael Russell said: “Scotland is in a unique position, having been a member of the EU for 47 years and following all its rules. We continue to share the EU’s core values and our position is recognised and understood in Brussels.

“Donald Tusk, until recently the President of the European Council, has said there will be enthusiasm from everyone in Brussels for an independent Scotland’s membership of the EU and he spoke of the empathy for Scotland in Europe.

“The Scottish Government recognises there is an application process to go through and we will bring forward a detailed proposition in due course.”

I was at a Forum meeting a few years back and Mike Russell gave a talk, it was in his wilderness years when he had marital strife due to his affair, during the talk he repeatedly referred to 'When I was a Cabinet Minister' and I honestly thought he was a boring b*****d, since he was appointed as Scotlands Brexit Overseer I have changed my mind completely on the man as it seems that this post has sparked new life in him and he has given balance and substance to Scotland's pro EU argument.

23 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Hong Kong is part of China, it was under english colonial rule for around 150 years and was handed back to China in 1997

They waited till the last days of British rule to force through democratic structures that they're now ineffectually playing holier than thou with Beijing for bypassing. It's sad for the people of Hong Kong but intensely hypocritical.

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

A petty and small minded response to a post of mine, and typical of a closet unionist fool who it would appear lives in the same village as Alex Salmond.

At least Kincardine doesn't resort to schoolboy sniping in his posts.

The ignore bin/button for the little strichener.

Petty and small minded?  Schoolboy sniping? You're having a laugh surely.  O feel my quote about senility may have hit a tad close to home.  Let's just remind you of your own post.

On 06/09/2020 at 10:30, SandyCromarty said:

International Relations?

I wis in Baghdad when you were in yer Dads Bags.

I thought my response was more than reasonable to this nonsense.  However away you go and put me in ignore as you appear to be someone that shouts 'Unionist" at anyone that doesn't match your own position on independence.   

39 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Strichner is right here, but I was in Baghdad when you were in your dad's bags is an absolute zinger btw.

Meant as a joke but it seemed to bring out abuse in strichener sadly. 

Must be a right twat going through life wi nae sense of humour.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They waited till the last days of British rule to force through democratic structures that they're now ineffectually playing holier than thou with Beijing for bypassing. It's sad for the people of Hong Kong but intensely hypocritical.

You're right, that did happen but that was motivated by the rich British Taipan families who had made fortunes in HK, of those the powerful Scottish Jardine Mathiesons and the english Butterfieldfield and Swire were major architects of it as was the Keswick family , the Thomsons of Edinburgh along with their partners the Mitchells of Alloa had been players in the past. 

The difference between HK and Singapore's situation is immense, Singapore was handed over to Malaysia in 1963 with all the trouble that caused as street businesses in Singapore were operated by Indian and Chinese and the Malays were jealous of the situation, through tough negotiation teh singaporeans finally found Indpendence in 1965.Then the strong man Lee Kuan Yew along with Goh Keng Swee as his deputy built the island to the powerfull trading city it has become today, the islands transformation is absolutely outstanding to the shithole it once was. 

It would be the right and proper for Scotlands future if we could follow Singapore's example.

12 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Campaigning for an independent Scotland so that we can become a *checks notes tax haven with capital punishment ?

And not even compensating it with the constant 30 degree sunshine.

Imagine being in the minority of Scots, who opposes your own country having the right to govern itself.

What a bunch of roasters they are.
Tbf, a significant number of them are old fuds who vote Tory, or people who support The Rangers. (Some intersection between these groups.) Its hardly surprising that they lack the intelligence to arrive at such a simple conclusion as a yes vote.