When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

A standard sized bottle is 700 ml, not 1 L

The important thing is that I'd rather people had to pay £5 more for their whisky than their medicine.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

As someone that is working I am happy to pay for prescriptions. What I’m not happy about is paying extra tax or £5 more for a bottle of whisky than someone in Carlisle 

So you don't want additional taxation but are happy for a tax on ill health because you can afford it. Textbook Tory logic.

Plenty of people work, but would be unable to afford prescriptions.

Minimum pricing isn't a tax btw. You need to stop reading the Daily Mail

So you don't want additional taxation but are happy for a tax on ill health because you can afford it. Textbook Tory logic.

Minimum pricing is worse than a tax surely? At least if we increase taxation on alcohol we can recycle that revenue into the NHS and allow drinkers to pay for their own treatment, with minimum pricing the only winners are the retailers

You will be lucky. Try reading that in the papers. If you know anyone that works in the nhs or private hospitals it’s worth asking the question 

Universality of a thing makes it more difficult to get rid of as it gives everyone a tangible stake in retaining it. My only criticism of prescriptions in this country is that my GP won’t accept “a banging hangover” as a reason to prescribe me tramadol.

Universality of a thing makes it more difficult to get rid of as it gives everyone a tangible stake in retaining it. My only criticism of prescriptions in this country is that my GP won’t accept “a banging hangover” as a reason to prescribe me tramadol.

That plus means testing certain things may actually be more expensive than making them universal.

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Take that as a no then.

Call me out as a liar if you wish. Fairly confident over the next while a stray headline will appear or some people will learn of family and friends that are being treated this way 

8 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

At what point did I say minimum pricing is a tax? 

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Not me! Why do you think I referred to malts or decent blends (like Black Bottle) in a previous post?

I admire your tenacity, but AyrExile is basically the Bennett of the Politics sub-forum. He's an absolute doormat who will continually make up shite then run away when you inevitably call him out on it. 

Minimum pricing is worse than a tax surely? At least if we increase taxation on alcohol we can recycle that revenue into the NHS and allow drinkers to pay for their own treatment, with minimum pricing the only winners are the retailers
I think the point of minimum unit pricing was to reduce the amount of booze being purchased especially at the cheapo cider level. If the amount bought goes down but the margin is bigger for the retailer then the retailer wont lose out. If you do it via taxation then the retailer loses as well.

At £2 a litre Tennents is still cheap enough to drink at home.

43 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I admire your tenacity, but AyrExile is basically the Bennett of the Politics sub-forum. He's an absolute doormat who will continually make up shite then run away when you inevitably call him out on it. 

Are you as abusive and dismissive in real life or does anonymity make you stand taller?