When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

2007-11 Was not Coalition as you well know, although trying to make the comparison is cheap whataboutery.

London Labour are absurdly terrified by the rightwing media. I sometimes think they are the only people who take the Daily Mail seriously. I've heard umpteen Labourites seriously suggesting that's why they can't suggest reversing Brexit. 'The rightwing media would slaughter us'.

The thing is, the rightwing media would slaughter them whatever. Fortunately the print media have very little influence these days. Whatever you think of the SNP, they have almost no media support at all (The National? Don't make me laff) but keep winning. Perhaps if Labour talked to them they might find out how to win despite the media - and in any case dahn saff they have the Mirror and the Graunbore batting for them.

As said earlier no-one is suggesting 'reversing' Brexit anymore (despite Remain sentiment now polling 'consistently higher than support for Independence). The SNP's we will rejoin the EU 'sometime' isn't the same things as clamouring for a 2nd Ref on the issue..(and the currency plan to do so is still a mess  keep Sterling, 'maybe' for up to 10 years, then 'maybe' issue a Scottish currency 'or' join the Euro.

So, for the Labour Party to enter the GE promising to 'reverse' Brexit in one go doesn't make sense. Further down the line maybe.

On the point of Lab being closer to the Tories (economically)...they aren't...it is rather the SNP's plans to wield the axe on public services post-Independence which is 'Tory-like' and is an inconvenient truth.

No, 2007-11 wasn't a 'coalition' with the Tories, but it was most certainly a working with them to pass budgets etc.

Edited by Jedi

If you think no one is suggesting reversing Brexit there's one reason why Labour are deid in the watter.

No one, incidentally, mentioned reversing Brexit 'in one go' but you- classic straw man, there. However, Knighthood Boy has been ruling out even small rapprochement like free movement, agreements on immigration, single market etc.

And while I'm not an SNP apologist, I do notice the misrepresentation and misdirection and plain fibs in your post when you discuss their policies.

Clearly you have the ScoLabour riff: "Scotland is ours, stopping voting for us is something our hundreds of thousands of former supporters did to us, the baskets, and because most of them now vote for Indy parties we 1) innuendo that they're FACISTZ and 2) expect being called FACISTZ will persuade them to vote for us again."

Aye, right, Labour.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I haven't worked out how to quote multiple posts, so this is a question for Granny, Welshbairn and HighlandMagar - aside from the divisiveness one of you mentioned (which I can see) what is so unpalatable about Jo Cherry as SNP leader? I'm not being chippy, I'm genuinely interested. 

Just click on the + sign to the left of Quote.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I haven't worked out how to quote multiple posts, so this is a question for Granny, Welshbairn and HighlandMagar - aside from the divisiveness one of you mentioned (which I can see) what is so unpalatable about Jo Cherry as SNP leader? I'm not being chippy, I'm genuinely interested. 

I also see Cherry as divisive and that’s probably the last thing we need for the Westminster leadership.  The SNP is undoubtedly in a tricky situation whereby it requires leadership in two Parliaments whilst being clear there is definitely only one real Party leader.  I could see Cherry trying to undermine Sturgeon which could prove disastrous.

She has also voiced her support for Alex Salmond, a man who would be happy to see both the SNP and it’s current leadership damaged.

Her position on transgender rights seems to have also drawn criticism but as it’s an issue of which I’ve got very limited knowledge I cannot personally be too critical.

Sadly there seems to be a dearth of talent amongst the SNP group at Westminster.  There also appears to be a sad lack of information about the political views of likely candidates.

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm assuming you are trolling but just in case you are struggling to keep up ..

And this.

Anyone that edges to the extremes in this debate is either a bigot or using it for their own means.

That's just a few hours worth.

Clever doesn't equal wise.

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

And while I'm not an SNP apologist, I do notice the misrepresentation and misdirection and plain fibs in your post when you discuss their policies.

Can you explain Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission proposal to significantly cut back on public spending and the funding of public services (a proposal which has been repeated in the more recent Building a New Scotland, and which part of these documents-all there for anyone to read is a misrepresentation of the SNP's plans for the first 10 years of Independence?

Also, what is the current currency plan? We have heard about using Sterling for an undefined period, and then moving to options including the Euro 'or' a Scottish currency. So which is it? 

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

we 1) innuendo that they're FACISTZ and 2) expect being called FACISTZ will persuade them to vote for us again."

Starmer and Labour are regularly called worse on here as an attempt to paint them as generally to the right of the Tories on most things.

11 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Can you explain Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission proposal to significantly cut back on public spending and the funding of public services (a proposal which has been repeated in the more recent Building a New Scotland, and which part of these documents-all there for anyone to read is a misrepresentation of the SNP's plans for the first 10 years of Independence?

Also, what is the current currency plan? We have heard about using Sterling for an undefined period, and then moving to options including the Euro 'or' a Scottish currency. So which is it? 

You have omitted to include closing brackets.

Your parentheses would be proud.

You need to keep up to date - the 'Economics of Independence' paper clearly moves away from the Growth Commission recommendations.

Yes - there are areas where there needs to be more meat on the bone. But it certainly is a good starting point. I see it as a way of opening up and having an honest discussion about Scotland's economic future in a grown up manner.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You need to keep up to date - the 'Economics of Independence' paper clearly moves away from the Growth Commission recommendations.

'sound public finances' and 'fiscal rules informed by best financial practice' as well as placing a limit on borrowing for day to day spending, and debt. From the Economics of Independence paper.

So, where does the funding come from? Is it cuts to public services or tax rises?

Personally I vote for the SNP, purely for their stance on independence. A bit of self respect I feel at the polling station.

Their record in government probably matches the governments in the rest of the UK. So nothing to complain about there.

With independence, it seems logical that we could have better outcomes with a government beholden to the voters of the country. 

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

'sound public finances' and 'fiscal rules informed by best financial practice' as well as placing a limit on borrowing for day to day spending, and debt. From the Economics of Independence paper.

So, where does the funding come from? Is it cuts to public services or tax rises?

Where does the funding come from for the UK government's spend policies?

You've just shown what a fucking economic illiterate you are.

That's good practice for any government of any political colour.

You've just shown what a fucking economic illiterate you are.

That's good practice for any government of any political colour.

Talk us all through this conclusion.
With working.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

Really have given up caring. Back in 2 years, once of course the SNP have smashed easily through the 50% barrier at the GE.

Is that a promise?  Or perhaps in keeping with the Better Together twins you will do a u-turn and be here again later today