When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it just me who if asked my nationality in a survey etc if Scottish isnt an option ticks ‘other’? I absolutely dont identify in any way as British, its staggering just how much more welcoming people are abroad if they ask ‘are you british’ and you tell them you’re not. The tories and the gammon have made Britain a laughing stock. 
Every apparatus of ‘British Nationalism’ up here from white nationalist groups, the orange order, the tories, royal palaces etc its all embarrassing shite.

44 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

An object lesson in age having no bearing on accuracy. 

Not sure about anyone else but I reckon there are a few inaccuracies here in describing the Ecumene.

1280px-Claudius_Ptolemy-_The_World.jpg

Careful now. You have possibly offended those folk who think that the planet's winds come from huge disembodied heads or from huge caucasian swimmers only just keeping their heads above water. (Other opinions are available.) 

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Careful now. You have possibly offended those folk who think that the planet's winds come from huge disembodied heads or from huge caucasian swimmers only just keeping their heads above water. (Other opinions are available.) 

It's the heretics who think the World Turtle is called Great A'Tuin that infuriate me. When we all of us good and educated people know Her name is Susan. 

PSM_V10_D562_The_hindoo_earth.jpg

13 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Interesting reflection by a scottish Unionist who realises there is no longer a union to defend.

https://bylines.scot/news/scotland/independence/is-the-union-still-a-voluntary-one/

Wonder how many are feeling the same at the moment.

Really good article.

Although I'm a fairly convinced Yes voter, I wouldn't class myself as a "nationalist". My preferred constitutional set up of the UK, and Scotland within, is a regional federalist type set up. Scotland would probably be one of around 10 regional governments. These would be responsible for pretty much all governmental departments with the exception of defence and foreign policy which would be centralised and elected through equal representation of all 10 or so federal areas.

In any event, it's pie in the sky stuff, and given the realistic options in front of us I'm a fairly convinced and committed yesser.

I thought the article was bang on. Labour are the only possible saviours of the union. However, for it to be a feasible option it will require them to make some pretty huge U-turns on major topics such as Immigration, Brexit, Devolution/ Scotland Act etc.

The chances of the UK Labour party changing course and then becoming electable across the UK are virtually zilch. 

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's the heretics who think the World Turtle is called Great A'Tuin that infuriate me. When we all of us good and educated people know Her name is Susan. 

Susan? SUSAN? The Great Flying Spaghetti Monster (blessed be his noodly appendages) will have your guts for garters!

Take it up with Ptolemy - who established the terms 2,000 years ago.
What did the Macedonians ever do for us eh ?

As tenuous straw clutching goes, citing Ptolemy is right up there with anything I've ever read on PnB in this context.

He mapped Ireland without ever having been near the place and basically made up names for most places (even although they already existed) from the fables of travelling merchants whose testimony he partly based his calculations on (astronomy being the other). I have never ever know any of his ancient naming conventions to have been recognised as "estsblished" beyond his own time frame.

I take it this came from some mental bigotted speaker the lodge brought in one night ?

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What did the Macedonians ever do for us eh ?

As tenuous straw clutching goes, citing Ptolemy is right up there with anything I've ever read on PnB in this context.

He mapped Ireland without ever having been near the place and basically made up names for most places (even although they already existed) from the fables of travelling merchants whose testimony he partly based his calculations on (astronomy being the other). I have never ever know any of his ancient naming conventions to have been recognised as "estsblished" beyond his own time frame.

I take it this came from some mental bigotted speaker the lodge brought in one night ?

That Ptolemy used the terms "Great Britain" and "Little Britain" is a matter of record - so no straw-clutching at all and nothing to do with any lodge.

But that's the Natter way:  If you don't like the message then kick the messenger.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You can just tell that Kinky would be Seargent Colon.

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is it just me who if asked my nationality in a survey etc if Scottish isnt an option ticks ‘other’? I absolutely dont identify in any way as British, its staggering just how much more welcoming people are abroad if they ask ‘are you british’ and you tell them you’re not. The tories and the gammon have made Britain a laughing stock. 
Every apparatus of ‘British Nationalism’ up here from white nationalist groups, the orange order, the tories, royal palaces etc its all embarrassing shite.

Can't say I've ever been asked if I'm British. Usually they ask if I'm in English. f**k no is my answer.

That Ptolemy used the terms "Great Britain" and "Little Britain" is a matter of record - so no straw-clutching at all and nothing to do with any lodge.
But that's the Natter way:  If you don't like the message then kick the messenger.
He did and if you read it I I acknowledged that however they were never used beyond his maps, never "established " as you claimed.

The use of Ptolemy's "little Britain" in the modern day has always been in a slightly derogatory context to the Irish and nothing more.

9 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

At the risk of being soundly shot down, and accepting that the man is quite a detestable creature. The point that Wings is making on Nicola Resigning and forcing a Scottish Election in order to force the plebiscite indy ref appears to be a very strong one.

Wings Over Scotland | How you do it

Indeed. It is the nuclear option. Its risky. There needs to be solid support. 

However an independence majority in a Holyrood election is absolutely a solid mandate to begin withdrawing any further consent or support for UK law and institutions.......and to begin transition negotiations.

7 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

However an independence majority in a Holyrood election is absolutely a solid mandate to begin withdrawing any further consent or support for UK law and institutions.......and to begin transition negotiations.

We need a nuclear option though.

If we say no now, then we're never gonna say yes. Best be getting on with it so we can start trying to resolve the multitude of other problems the country faces right now.

10 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Nope.  Needs a S30.  But still, interesting to read the limp-wristed Alex Massie the other day.  The arch-appeaser has finally woken up to Sturgeon's ignorant rabble-rousing that your post exemplifies:

263933192_massiefence.thumb.jpeg.86b72911cbfd344aadbed70d4d78040f.jpeg