When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Lmao no it isn't.

Hold on....even I thought that Northern Ireland was part of Britain. (note that I did not say Great Britain)

I thought the British Isles were Great Britain and Ireland.

.....and that Scotland, England and Wales were part of Great Britain?

Have I been wrong all these years?

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If there's one thing that I am utterly contemptuous of it's strident unionist opinions from folk who don't have the first fucking idea about the constitutional make up of the place they live.

They genuinely don’t know the difference between UK and GB, or maybe they do and don’t care. 

20 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Hold on....even I thought that Northern Ireland was part of Britain. (note that I did not say Great Britain)

I thought the British Isles were Great Britain and Ireland.

.....and that Scotland, England and Wales were part of Great Britain?

Have I been wrong all these years?

England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif.226fb7e62ab7a28d016eab1ef2949f35.gif

36 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If there's one thing that I am utterly contemptuous of it's strident unionist opinions from folk who don't have the first fucking idea about the constitutional make up of the place they live.

sorry, but you seemed to be dismissing a comment above stating that Northern Ireland is in Britain - it is of course in the British Isles (see the venn diagram above)

Too many here getting mixed up when Britain and Great Britain are mentioned I am afraid

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

sorry, but you seemed to be dismissing a comment above stating that Northern Ireland is in Britain - it is of course in the British Isles (see the venn diagram above)

Too many here getting mixed up when Britain and Great Britain are mentioned I am afraid

This is geography not politics. 

The British Isles ≠ Britain. 

But as with so much of the "story of Britain/UK/this deeply screwed up archipelago, there's enough constructive ambiguity thrown around to cover up or sidestep tricky bits of history/uneasy arrangements I suppose I should  forgive some level of general ignorance. But nah. 

1 hour ago, Stringer Bell said:

England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif.226fb7e62ab7a28d016eab1ef2949f35.gif

Great Britain is just the name of the big island most of us live on. The smaller islands included in that yellow circle - isle of man, orkney, etc - are therefore not part of Great Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/28/scots-europe-scottish-protocol-rishi-sunak-supreme-court-nicola-sturgeon

"England never gets Scotland right. Last week the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, repeated Downing Street’s familiar gloat over another reverse for Scottish home rule. London’s supreme court dismissed the Scottish National party’s bid for an “advisory” plebiscite on whether to hold another independence referendum. Just go home, said Sunak, and run Scotland better. He seemed to think the SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon would apologise for wasting his time. He merely reinforced her party’s antipathy to London and all its doings.

The court’s decision was legally robust but politically inept. Sturgeon’s poll would have been purely advisory. The court appeared to be saying that independence was a forbidden subject to Scottish opinion, lending force to her claim that “the notion of the UK as a voluntary partnership of nations … is no longer a reality”. In the unlikely event of the Scots “advising” another referendum, then real questions might be asked as to what independence involved."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

42 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/28/scots-europe-scottish-protocol-rishi-sunak-supreme-court-nicola-sturgeon

"England never gets Scotland right. Last week the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, repeated Downing Street’s familiar gloat over another reverse for Scottish home rule. London’s supreme court dismissed the Scottish National party’s bid for an “advisory” plebiscite on whether to hold another independence referendum. Just go home, said Sunak, and run Scotland better. He seemed to think the SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon would apologise for wasting his time. He merely reinforced her party’s antipathy to London and all its doings.

The court’s decision was legally robust but politically inept. Sturgeon’s poll would have been purely advisory. The court appeared to be saying that independence was a forbidden subject to Scottish opinion, lending force to her claim that “the notion of the UK as a voluntary partnership of nations … is no longer a reality”. In the unlikely event of the Scots “advising” another referendum, then real questions might be asked as to what independence involved."

I read that . It starts with "England never gets Scotland right" then follows up with an article that also doesn't get Scotland right. 

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I read that . It starts with "England never gets Scotland right" then follows up with an article that also doesn't get Scotland right. 

Written very much from the viewpoint that England should just try taking us for more walks, change from tinned to dried foods and then wean us off the treats. At no point in these articles, even the ones wanting to be conciliatory is there any mention of how they might gain our consent for these ideas, other than rolling up a newspaper and bopping us on the nose with it. 

Patronising b*****d's.