When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't see why it's not on.  A change as fundamental as breaking up the country deserves more than an opportunistic referendum held at a time that works best to get it just over the line, especially when it's a re-run.  There should be evidence that Scots actually want it long-term.
The SNP were never told majorities at Holyrood or within the Scottish MPs in Parliament would secure them IndyRef2.  Decisions on referenda hasve never been within the remit of the devolved assembly.
What's it going to take for democracy to be respected?  The SNP to stop talking about the issue, thus respecting the 2014 decision, accepting it is settled as they said they would, and letting everyone move on with their lives.  There's been constant chat about another referendum as soon as the last one was finished FFS.
Another Northern Ireland?  No thanks.  Although, it seems that they are largely moving forward, albeit with hiccups here and there, whereas Scotland is moving backwards.  Scottish politics is an utter embarrassment and I've never known it to be this polarised.  The constitution dominates EVERYTHING.

If opponents want the SNP to stop pursuing independence, all they have to do is persuade enough of the Scottish electorate to stop voting for them.

So far they've spectacularly failed.

4 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

What's it going to take for democracy to be respected?  The SNP to stop talking about the issue, thus respecting the 2014 decision, accepting it is settled as they said they would, and letting everyone move on with their lives.  There's been constant chat about another referendum as soon as the last one was finished FFS.

In 2014 we voted to be part of an EU member state. We respected the result of that decision. England and Wales didn’t. They voted to withdraw their own and our EU citizenship. We have not yet had the chance to vote on whether we want to be part of the anti-union Brexit Britain.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If opponents want the SNP to stop pursuing independence, all they have to do is persuade enough of the Scottish electorate to stop voting for them.

So far they've spectacularly failed.

Aye, you’d almost think “shut up and accept regionhood of Brexit Britain - it’s what England and Wales want so lump it” isn’t working. Can’t think why.

The Britnat mewling about “move on” “once in a generation” “divisive” “day job” might hold some water, but for the fact that in numerous elections since 2014 & especially after 2016 the Scottish electorate has decided it’s not a dead issue. It’s not the SNP pushing for a second referendum, it’s the Scottish electorate who keep voting for them, it’s not the SNP being denied democracy, it’s every single voter in Scotland. I’m personally aggrieved that despite winning several elections since 2014, my voice isn’t being heard. The UK nationalists can howl all they want about wee Nippy etc, but until they start winning elections, it’s not the SNP being fucked over by Westminster it’s every single voter in Scotland. The sooner the debate isn’t about SNP but about who really matters, the better! 

The sooner Scottish politics moves on from debating independence, and instead starts discussing [insert random issue like potholes or some shite that I only ever pretend to care about when speaking about wanting to move on from discussing independence], the better!

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The sooner Scottish politics moves on from debating independence, and instead starts discussing [insert random issue like potholes or some shite that I only ever pretend to care about when speaking about wanting to move on from discussing independence], the better!

If only that came to fruition! It might give Dross a reason to exist! Slimy fucker. 

16 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Haul - all you hear on the doorsteps is  what’s happening with [insert random issue like potholes or some shite that I only ever pretend to care about when speaking about wanting to move on from discussing independence]!

13 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Haul - all you hear on the doorsteps is  what’s happening with [insert random issue like potholes or some shite that I only ever pretend to care about when speaking about wanting to move on from discussing independence]!

When was the last time any Tory was on a doorstep? Half the c***s don’t even turn up for constituency surgeries, yeah I’m looking at you Kirsten Hair & Dame Tank commander. 
As if they’d actually listen to any concerns? When approximately 50% of doorsteps would tell them that independence is the main issue in their vote. It’s shite. 

6 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

When was the last time any Tory was on a doorstep? Half the c***s don’t even turn up for constituency surgeries, yeah I’m looking at you Kirsten Hair & Dame Tank commander. 
As if they’d actually listen to any concerns? When approximately 50% of doorsteps would tell them that independence is the main issue in their vote. It’s shite. 

Douglas Ross, on the doorstep of the servants’ entrance to 10 Downing Street, begging for scraps from the under-scullery maid.

I’m joking, of course. Dougie’s never been anywhere near Downing Street. 

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Lets put an end to this "am a unionist" nonsense. No such thing as a "union". Scotland ceased to exist in 1707 according to the UK supreme Court.

A rare moment of insight from you, GIT.  Politically, it did of course.

I'm up in Glasgow first week of December for a ludge AGM.  Send me a PM if you'd like me to propose you.

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

A rare moment of insight from you, GIT.  Politically, it did of course.

I'm up in Glasgow first week of December for a ludge AGM.  Send me a PM if you'd like me to propose you.

Thanks for the invite.....but am busy that week.

I didn't say I agreed with the UK supreme court notion. Does any Scottish unionist?

In fact it would appear to be a relatively recent assumption based on the establishment of the 1998 Scotland Act. Between 1707 and then, the often agreed principle was that union was a joining of nations.

Well that idea has certainly been flung out the window.

Scottish Unionists should be outraged that our nations rights and free participation has been so readily set aside and subsumed. They have done over our independent Scots law, in contravention to the Acts of Union. I don't remeber being asked or having a vote about that.....what's next?

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

Thanks for the invite.....but am busy that week.

I didn't say I agreed with the UK supreme court notion. Does any Scottish unionist?

In fact it would appear to be a relatively recent assumption based on the establishment of the 1998 Scotland Act. Between 1707 and then, the often agreed principle was that union was a joining of nations.

Well that idea has certainly been flung out the window.

Scottish Unionists should be outraged that our nations rights and free participation has been so readily set aside and subsumed. They have done over our independent Scots law, in contravention to the Acts of Union. I don't remeber being asked or having a vote about that.....what's next?

The single-nation UK identity idea is indeed relatively recent. Look at the campaign material and history of the Unionist Party (the name referring to Ireland) of the past, right through the mid and early twentieth centuries - they went out of their way to promote a distinct Scottish national identity within a UK context.

The UK Nat parties have evidently lost all confidence in their ability to promote or even recognise Scottish national identity. Their solution has been to deny it and to try and force their single-UK-National-identity down our throats. Unfortunately, they don’t appear to know what being UKish means (because it’s never existed), which makes it hard for the rest of us to recognise. And that’s to say nothing of the rampant greedy, anti-European, Islamophobic, xenophobic hard-right Toryism that seems to be rushing in to fill in the blank of UKish national identity.