When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The ruling is yet another thing Scotland can't do. Must be about time Westminster pushed for the introduction of North Britain to replace Scotland because the legal ruling has just raised the issue of "colony" and put it out there in the independence narrative by saying Scotland isn't one, raises some important considerations because the definition of being a colony includes

a country or area under the full or partial political control of another country 

I think one of the results of the independence referendum and Brexit is that no UK government will seek to hold a referendum on anything any time soon. Maybe if it was something that was guaranteed to go the way the government wanted (for example the AV referendum) but given the outcomes of 2014 and 2016 have been disastrous from the UK government perspective I think the days of big constitutional votes are gone, for a very long time.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I’ve thought for a while that could happen. The Tories always need an “other” to be seen to be winning against and now it’s not the EU anymore, we aren’t an unlikely target.

The Government are not stupid enough to think we should actually leave, but I could see another BREXIT scenario, where they go overboard on rhetoric and an Indy vote or leaving Scotland, becomes an unintended consequence of it, because they wind voters up enough to demand it.

It's still a while off, I think. It'll take a while before people start thinking, "why are you still going on about the EU? It's been <x> years since we left". Apparently the Conservatives still feel confident enough to occasionally blame Labour for the problems they've had twelve years to deal with.

Plus, they're planning to position the UK as an offshore haven to undercut the EU on tax, wages, human rights, etc. Any steps the EU take to combat that will lead to plenty of performative toys-oot-the-pram outrage.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think one of the results of the independence referendum and Brexit is that no UK government will seek to hold a referendum on anything any time soon. Maybe if it was something that was guaranteed to go the way the government wanted (for example the AV referendum) but given the outcomes of 2014 and 2016 have been disastrous from the UK government perspective I think the days of big constitutional votes are gone, for a very long time.

You could posit that 2014 led to a rise in independence support that might not have happened otherwise, but 2016 is going to be very profitable for the current government. Considering he's not above a bit of tax avoidance when it suits, Call Me Dave Cameron will do very well out of it too, I've no doubt.

But aye, from now on it'll be a good excuse not to ask the people's opinion on anything that the government genuinely doesn't want to happen.

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

The list of rallies taking place today -

Edinburgh

Holyrood Parliament

5:15pm - 7:30pm

Aberdeen

St Nicholas Square

5:30pm

Borders

Selkirk Square and on to Kirk o Forest

6.30pm

Dumfries

Midsteeple area in the town centre.

Beside the Planestanes

Dundee

City Square, in front of the Caird Hall

Fort William

Fort William High St

6:30pm

Glasgow

Concert Hall steps

Buchanan Street

Greenock

Lyle fountain in Cathcart Square

5:15pm for 5:30pm

Inverness

Inverness Townhouse

Starts 6:30pm

Inverurie

Inverurie Town Hall

Lochgilphead

Front Green Lochgilphead

12noon

Orkney

St Magnus Cathedral, Kirk Green

5:15pm

Perth

Concert Hall Plaza

Skye

Portree Sheriff Court, Portree Square 

Stirling

At Performance Area, Junction of King Street and Murray Place

Usual 4 badly dressed men and a dug at each?

In the midst of all this it should be  remembered it was the Labour Party who introduced a UK "supreme" court therefore superceding Scots Law.

The Acts of Union specifically agreed Scotlands law was to remain supreme in Scotland. The Scotland Act 1998 was the biggest infringement of this principle in the Unions 300 year existence. It was Labour that have effectively  enshrined our colonial status in the new "UK" law.

Its a good job Scotland finally cottoned on to them.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

No one is talking about a coalition.

Correct but that's politics for you.  Politicians will only answer with their Plan A best case scenario which is their party will win a clear majority.  If they are daft enough to say there may be a coalition then they are basically accepting they are a wasted vote and will spend all their time talking about another parties policies.

4 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Correct but that's politics for you.  Politicians will only answer with their Plan A best case scenario which is their party will win a clear majority.  If they are daft enough to say there may be a coalition then they are basically accepting they are a wasted vote and will spend all their time talking about another parties policies.

Are you saying that the Liberal Democrats didn't think Jo Swinson was going to be the UK's next Prime Minister?  :o

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

The result was inevitable, did we honestly think that a court in London would rule otherwise?

As long as westminster has the Scottish oil and gas revenue they will not let us go.

Remember that the tories voted against devolution and a Scottish Government, we are the last Colony of their long gone empire.

Their empire? 

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment here but the issue is that the vote in 2014 was lost because, when offered a historic opportunity, Salmond couldn't be arsed to work out the details of what a future independent Scotland would actually look like. Sturgeon is only now starting to put some meat on these particular bones. That should have been done before asking for another mandate IMO and is a second major tactical error on the part of the SNP.

Salmond thought flags and sentiment would get him over the line. It was a catastrophic miscalculation and who knows when the country will ever get another chance to correct it.

That's the difficult truth here.

Any anger really ought to be directed at him.

I am of the opinion that Sturgeon should dissolve Holyrood if she can get the agreement of the Greens and that both of them and any other pro-Indy party should insist that voting for them is only about independence for that election. The next General Election is too far away. Before she does that though, she needs the vision documents finished and published for what an Independent Scotland would physically look like.

She promised a referendum next year. She should deliver it via a Holyrood election.

I'd agree with you that we need the currency issue be properly thought out. However I'd counter that by saying they could maybe get a big red bus with "f**k Westminster, vote yes to save 500 million a week" that also might work?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

Great result from the Supreme Court.

Two important things have now been established beyond doubt:

1- Scotland is not a colony with the right to self-determination.

2- A Scottish election cannot deliver a mandate for an independence referendum.

3. UK nationalists will now have to define an alternative democratic route for the people of Scotland to express their will.