When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

All those promises of cheaper bills, stronger powers, a strong pound, membership of the EU should be front and centre of the yes campaign.

I disagree.  It is not rejoining that is key but the ability to do so, should we so choose.

In the same way that it is not leaving the EU which is the central gripe, it is rhe manner in which it was carried out. With a complete disregard for anything other than what was most likely to keep, those c***s in power. Brexit could have been OK, not my choice but it was possible for it to have been manageable if never really acceptable. 

I want iScotland to be full EU members, I think that's rhe best place to be. But there are a multitude of other possibilities.  

Similar to the monarchy, eyes on the prize. First things first. We can get shot of those grifters in due course. Step 1 is achieving the ability to do so. 

3 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

I agree but isn't using the pound only temporary until we set up our own currency. The pound will lose value when we leave anyway. 

It is beyond doubt the pound will dip when Scotland becomes independent. The fact is it will tank unless an initial Sterlingisation accord is quickly agreed. If we had voted yes in 2014, the governor of the BOE would likely have been on the phone within minutes. The whole "you can't use the pound" argument is and has always been nonsense.

None of this negates the need for iScotland to have a firm plan and timescale for the launch of its own currency.

12 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Im not that fussed either way, Independence for me is whats needed. Whether we rejoin EU or have some other relationship like Norway or whatever. I see benefits of being in EU and I also see some problems with being in EU, also the direction its going may not be something I agree with but as its very unclear what the long term plan is for EU its a bit of a moot point until it becomes clear.

On a personal level though being in EU now would make my life easier but id be happy to go with whatever Scotland votes for.

Does the EU have its issues? Yes. Are those issues worth not being in it? f**k no. Its like walking along a beach and getting a few grains of sand in yer shoe verses the UK as an eternal swamp of quick sand. 

23 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

It is beyond doubt the pound will dip when Scotland becomes independent. The fact is it will tank unless an initial Sterlingisation accord is quickly agreed. If we had voted yes in 2014, the governor of the BOE would likely have been on the phone within minutes. The whole "you can't use the pound" argument is and has always been nonsense.

None of this negates the need for iScotland to have a firm plan and timescale for the launch of its own currency.

Agree, it always was scaremongering pish, we have all the assets. 

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

This is the level of argument they’re already at 

I love that logic.

Things are Hellish - they could scarcely be worse.  We voted for none of it.

The last thing we should do is look to extract ourselves from it.

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

The UK is a broken political system 

You’re deluding yourself if you believe the status quo is better than self governance 

'CoS PuTIN wiLL nuKe us iF wERE indepENDanttttTTTt!

Solomon would be better back down his mine........Better Together are getting the gang together again

Solomon Cuthbertson is a third year politics student at Edinburgh University.

"Back in 2014 I did support independence, but in the last few years I found myself drifting more towards wanting to stay in the UK," he says.

"Looking at the challenges that we face with economics, it would make families poorer and right now with the cost living crisis I don't think that's something I can get behind," he adds.

Solomon also has concerns about pensions and the pound. "If we leave the UK we lose any control that we have over the currency that will be used... and then if we join in the euro, it's the European Central Bank that's going to have all the power."

Solomon, who chairs Scottish Labour Students, says the answer to the current economic turmoil lies at Westminster.

"I don't think because we have a horrific Tory government that has done all the things it has and this led this economic disruption that we should look at leaving the UK," he says.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Solomon would be better back down his mine........Better Together are getting the gang together again

"Back in 2014 I did support independence, but in the last few years I found myself drifting more towards wanting to stay in the UK," he says.

"Looking at the challenges that we face with economics, it would make families poorer and right now with the cost living crisis I don't think that's something I can get behind," he adds.

Solomon also has concerns about pensions and the pound. "If we leave the UK we lose any control that we have over the currency that will be used... and then if we join in the euro, it's the European Central Bank that's going to have all the power."

Solomon, who chairs Scottish Labour Students, says the answer to the current economic turmoil lies at Westminster.

"I don't think because we have a horrific Tory government that has done all the things it has and this led this economic disruption that we should look at leaving the UK," he says.

Pensions ✅ 

Currency ✅ 

EU ✅ 

Don't leave ✅ 

Scottish Labour ✅ 

Bingo!

12 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

“We lose any control we have over the currency that will be used”.

Well seeing Cuthbert isn’t a maths student. If I have zero apples in my pocket and I lose zero apples, how many apples have I lost?

On 15/10/2022 at 13:44, ICTJohnboy said:

Given that we've just seen what a WM. Govt can do with the pound (and interest rates) would it not make more sense for a Scottish Govt to adopt the Euro as a matter of some urgency?

You cannot 'adopt' the official Euro currency unless you are an EU member and have obviously satisfied the Copenhagen Criteria for membership.

A Scottish pound would be an interim currency until we joined the EU.

On 15/10/2022 at 16:17, Kenneth840 said:

Yes, but where is the money going? 

If I am not mistaken, Scotland will need its own currency to apply for EU membership. 

Correct and that's been outlined by Nicola today, an Independent Scotland would also have to demostrate fiscal prudence and a thriving market economy before being accepted by the EU, it's all in teh Copenahgen Criteria.

If the likes of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia and Slovenia etc with little Russian investment prior totheir Independence can gain membership then Scotland with a GDP of 160 Billion (excluding oil), and massive natural resources should waltz into the EU.

The average EU acceptance time for the countries mentioned was circa 6 years, with our resources and the chance for the EU to piss on Brexit I would think our wait would be half that.

Edited by SandyCromarty