When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Putting aside the question of Scotland’s independence, are you really wanting to join the failing  EU?

Very compelling argument. We should definitely stay part of the leading player on the world stage, beacon of democracy, strong & stable, financially astute, economically literate, UK. Why change when everything is in safe hands and going so well.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Putting aside the question of Scotland’s independence, are you really wanting to join the failing  EU?

Im not that fussed either way, Independence for me is whats needed. Whether we rejoin EU or have some other relationship like Norway or whatever. I see benefits of being in EU and I also see some problems with being in EU, also the direction its going may not be something I agree with but as its very unclear what the long term plan is for EU its a bit of a moot point until it becomes clear.

On a personal level though being in EU now would make my life easier but id be happy to go with whatever Scotland votes for.

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

"failing EU"  . That Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Telegraph level of rhetoric. 

Where is it 'failing' , exactly?  

'losing the UK' is not a valid answer.

44 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

"failing EU"  . That Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Telegraph level of rhetoric. 

Where is it 'failing' , exactly?  

'losing the UK' is not a valid answer.

I miss the days when folk were making predictions on here about how long it would be before the EU would break up and/or the Euro would fail.

Those stupid Europeans, refusing to make things easier for good ol' Blighty by committing economic suicide.

18 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

That currency will be a temporary measure until we are accepted into the EU and we adopt the Euro, bear in mind that Lithuania and Latvia broke away from the Russian Rouble and set up the Litas and Lats currencies respectively as part of their Copenhagen Criteria EU application, both now have the Euro as their official currency.

14 hours ago, sophia said:

You can be in the EU without using the Euro.

Croatia.

You are misinformed or willfully misrepresenting.

Given that we've just seen what a WM. Govt can do with the pound (and interest rates) would it not make more sense for a Scottish Govt to adopt the Euro as a matter of some urgency?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Given that we've just seen what a WM. Govt can do with the pound (and interest rates) would it not make more sense for a Scottish Govt to adopt the Euro as a matter of some urgency?

it certainly makes the case of either having our own currency or accepting the euro if we rejoin eu a lot stronger

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yes, but politically the pound has totemic value to many people (out of all proportion to its importance as the type of paper people carry about or its fluctuating value on the market). UK Nats will attempt to use the prospect of “losing” the pound as a terrifying thing - evil and scary Nat chaaaaaange (if you’ll excuse the pun).

21 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

What other purpose other than a future Central Bank would it serve. Nothing has been mentioned obviously as to the Banks purpose, it is owned by The Scottish Ministers so there's a hint. 

'The Bank is wholly owned by the Scottish Ministers on behalf of the people of Scotland. It is a public limited company and has been established to operate commercially, and operationally independent from The Scottish Government'.

The party has been open in it's statement that on Independence one important step is to rejoin the EU, the steps required are clearly set up and outlined in the Copenhagen Criteria, part of that Criteria is that the country applying for membership must have a functioning market economy, with that it is obvious that we must have in place a transitionary currency and that will be a Scottish Pound  backed by the Scottish Central Bank.

That currency will be a temporary measure until we are accepted into the EU and we adopt the Euro, bear in mind that Lithuania and Latvia broke away from the Russian Rouble and set up the Litas and Lats currencies respectively as part of their Copenhagen Criteria EU application, both now have the Euro as their official currency.

Yes, but where is the money going? 

If I am not mistaken, Scotland will need its own currency to apply for EU membership. 

Edited by Kenneth840

18 hours ago, Jedi said:

So the plan is to retain sterling for a few years, then..float a Scottish currency...then give that time to achieve market stability...then join the Euro, and finally...be back in the EU?

Assuming a Ref was held and won, next year. A rough estimate for a negotiation period is 2 to 3 years to sort out assets and liabilities ..then there is a period of using sterling, until the Central Bank builds up sufficient reserves of foreign currency etc...then there is floating the Scot currency and letting it settle down..then eventually being in a stable enough position to join the Euro .

So, the back in the EU could maybe be by what..2040? If all that went through.

I am a broken record.  Sterlingisation will ruin Scotland. 

1 minute ago, GTG_03 said:

All those promises of cheaper bills, stronger powers, a strong pound, membership of the EU should be front and centre of the yes campaign.

I was a remainer and would be a joiner.

BUT how can you make something you have no control over the central plank of a campaign?  The 'Yes' case is abysmally weak and is based on some fundamental untruths.  i'd deal with those first.