When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 25/09/2022 at 16:18, Zern said:

My guess is that they are waiting for the decision from the Supreme Court.

Politeness

Ditto

Not really, no Lords. That's a significant difference between the SNP, Scottish Greens and some other political parties.

And what difference will the UK Supreme Courts decision make? To a referendum that our FM has already said will have no effect.  I am curious, what will happen if the UKSC says Yes and everyone in Scotland says Yes, but our FM says it was "Not self executing"  and has no effect. 

Deference

Ditto

That could be next.  Pishfart wanted a seat as speaker. 

First of all the sudden crash of the pound sterling shows that an Independent Scotland cannot use a currency that is tied to the Bank of England.  Sterlingisation as the growth commission and SNP suggest is a non starter.  This week proves that, we would be fucked if we were using sterling.  We need to create our own currency and central bank. 

From our own currency we can then pay pensions, there will be negotiations post Independence.

More concerning for me is that I don't know what will happen after we vote Yes in the referendum?

5 hours ago, Kenneth840 said:

First of all the sudden crash of the pound sterling shows that an Independent Scotland cannot use a currency that is tied to the Bank of England.  Sterlingisation as the growth commission and SNP suggest is a non starter.  This week proves that, we would be fucked if we were using sterling.  We need to create our own currency and central bank. 

From our own currency we can then pay pensions, there will be negotiations post Independence.

More concerning for me is that I don't know what will happen after we vote Yes in the referendum?

Spot on about Sterlingisation. Shame that the SNP hierarchy closed down any debate from their members on tying themselves into the Bank of England for ;at least' 10 years though. Still don't see that 'policy' changing any time soon. (too many vested corporate interests for the hierarchy). And of course Scotland couldn't set up a Central Bank as the Bank of England remains its lender of last resort. Still..

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Contempt for democracy.

Contempt for the people of Scotland.

Contempt for the rule of law.

Contempt for the judiciary.

8DE215CE-4CD5-4E91-B164-B4F17A90CEBB.jpeg.59e4d7b2d0f6d6c560d05357c5dbd731.jpeg

Yeah, Sturgeon has gone over Westminster’s head, Liz. You don’t get a say in it. 

1 hour ago, Kenneth840 said:

For an Independent Scotland to work, we must break away from Sterling. Despite what conference says. 

https://robinmcalpine.org/a-coherent-plan-for-an-independent-scotland/https://robinmcalpine.org/is-the-snps-central-bank-proposal-credible/

We MUST have our own currency on Independence day. 

Kenneth- you seem to be the only one on here who truly wants independence.

The rest much prefer slagging off the toaries.

On 09/10/2022 at 10:19, Detournement said:

Beardy Robertson is on the BBC dodging questions about the implications of a GE being used as an independence poll like Neo dodging bullets in The Matrix. 

If they actually get forced down that path it's going to be fucking hilarious. 

Even if Sturgeon does end up using the next GE as a single issue de facto referendum and the “Yes” side wins, I think there’s far from any guarantee that whoever wins the next general election as a whole won’t just ignore it.

By far the best chance of Scotland gaining a legal independence vote in the next 5-10 years is a hung Parliament situation at WM where the large SNP group of MPs is able to extract such vote as a concession for supporting a government (most likely a Labour one, as propping up a Tory government would be a poor look even though Labour were until recently even more unpopular than the Conservatives in Scotland)

Given that the polls now point to a whopping majority for Keir Starmer I suspect that the expected defeat in court for the Scottish Government kills the independence issue until 2029. Sturgeon has  run out of road because there are no options remaining that Westminster can’t simply ignore. The only thing that could improve her position now is a swing back to the Tories leading to a hung Parliament at the next GE, and even at that, I can’t see Starmer agreeing to negotiate independence straight away, but he might allow a referendum. 

Edited by Donathan

It’s funny seeing the different attitude from unionist before 2014 

It was a “bring it on!” 

Now it’s a “it’s illegal, we will boycott it, please help us mummy Westminster”

If you think 2014 was bad for them not making a case for the union, wait until next year 

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s funny seeing the different attitude from unionist before 2014 

It was a “bring it on!” 

Now it’s a “it’s illegal, we will boycott it, please help us mummy Westminster”

If you think 2014 was bad for them not making a case for the union, wait until next year 

They’ll just try making the same “case”, word-for-word, as though the UK of 2014 is the same as the UK of 2022.  Hell, they’re still genuinely trying to use the “leaving the UK means no EU” line, by merely adapting it to “you were never in the EU and you’ll never get in!” (yes, really). Without a shred of irony, we can still expect “the UK keeps energy prices low!”; “the UK means a strong and stable pound!”; “the UK means cheaper food bills”; “you’re too poor to be a real country!”; “aliens will invade if you vote for independence!”; “putting up borders is bad!”