When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bit of a tangent here I know, but I'm just back from Latvia and whilst I thought he might be seen as a relatively good guy who ultimately led to their independence, many of them cannot see beyond the guy who still allowed the tyrannic KGB to wreak havoc, allow the murder anti-Russian protesters whilst the USSR was still going, etc etc.  Basically, to many, he's still an arsehole who'll have reached his special place in Hell.

During my visit, (unlike the youths) it was rather evident that anybody who experienced Russian control during adulthood has been scarred for life and emotionally closed (and that's coming from the mouths of Latvian Millennials).  I genuinely can't recall seeing an >40yo smiling at any point of my visit, with the different generations being like chalk and cheese.

Aye, I think people here were just relieved that the era of imminent nuclear war was coming to an end. Just because the Soviet regime was ending doesn't mean that the people who lived under it are going to think any better of the people in charge, and you don't climb to General Secretary without being prepared to crack heads.

Presumably some folk from the older generations in Russia also think the youngsters are a bunch of cosseted fannies who could use the threat of KGB abduction and PTSD to make them buck their ideas up.

16 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Not a peep from Labour either side of the border about the potential rule changes on a referendum 

Be fair: there hasn’t been time for the reactions of the Tory electorate in the shires to circulate yet. Labour can’t possibly know what they’re supposed to think and say.

Funnily enough, one of the favourite tropes to trot out on twitter by the unionists revolves along the lines of wanting Scotland to be independent but then giving up that independence by seeking immediate EU membership.

Yet as far as I can see the EU aren't going to be denying us our sovereignty or preventing us from having the right to even choose whether we can have sovereignty... there's only one Union that's actively tripping over themselves to prevent that happening currently.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Funnily enough, one of the favourite tropes to trot out on twitter by the unionists revolves along the lines of wanting Scotland to be independent but then giving up that independence by seeking immediate EU membership.

Yet as far as I can see the EU aren't going to be denying us our sovereignty or preventing us from having the right to even choose whether we can have sovereignty... there's only one Union that's actively tripping over themselves to prevent that happening currently.

Yet I bet if you point out that they support Brexit and independence from the EU whilst celebrating dependence in the UK, they’ll change their tune and point out that they’re two different unions entirely (not realising that the one they like is much more of a strait-jacket).

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bit of a tangent here I know, but I'm just back from Latvia and whilst I thought he might be seen as a relatively good guy who ultimately led to their independence, many of them cannot see beyond the guy who still allowed the tyrannic KGB to wreak havoc, allow the murder anti-Russian protesters whilst the USSR was still going, etc etc.  Basically, to many, he's still an arsehole who'll have reached his special place in Hell.

During my visit, (unlike the youths) it was rather evident that anybody who experienced Russian control during adulthood has been scarred for life and emotionally closed (and that's coming from the mouths of Latvian Millennials).  I genuinely can't recall seeing an >40yo smiling at any point of my visit, with the different generations being like chalk and cheese.

Did you go to the Corner House?

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Did you go to the Corner House?

Aye, did the full tour around the basement.  Struck me as the sort of place that'll soon be condemned on H&S grounds, but I liked the way it had been left pretty much untouched.

2133736944_PXL_20220903_0947035102.thumb.jpg.b54ecfb8a10c0e8b927ca99f55d68fec.jpg

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This is why the Union is over. Time to choose our own paths, it's not working.

Scottish Westminster election results.

image.thumb.png.18ec119fc81f2ff6e9f859fc5b4c510b.png

English Westminster election results.

image.thumb.png.de342e3c6ca6373d01d43ff18134d184.png

I don't know why people focus so much on the Tories' performance in Scotland.

As far as I can see, the SNP have never won a seat in England or Wales, and until they do, they are totally irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

They were the Tartan Tories basically until Salmond took them slightly to the left. As much as I think they are full of roasters they cant be called that anymore

It never made sense anyways since the tartan Tories are the Scottish Tories 

I’m sure that this has been asked and answered at some point in the last 1,611 pages, but would a Scottish exit from the UK need a massive divorce bill equal to the UK’s debt pro rata?

At this point I think it’s the only reservation I have, and with the debt figure about to get even bigger with Truss using our pockets to fund energy firms, rather than said firms’ profits, it would be a sore wan

17 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

I’m sure that this has been asked and answered at some point in the last 1,611 pages, but would a Scottish exit from the UK need a massive divorce bill equal to the UK’s debt pro rata?

At this point I think it’s the only reservation I have, and with the debt figure about to get even bigger with Truss using our pockets to fund energy firms, rather than said firms’ profits, it would be a sore wan

Most likely yes I think. Back in the day the Irish Free State was released from contributions to the UK's national debt in return for foregoing territorial claims to parts of Northern Ireland. Maybe Shetland is worth a few hundred billion to them.

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

2 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

No. The UK wishes to assume the status of successor state. Legally they then hold liabilities.

That being said there is a trade to be made here between asset and liability.

Hence for a negotiable share of the debt we take some of the goodies.

For example ......no nonsense....we will be keeping the pound...anybody who says we can't is talking shit. The BOE will be straight on the phone after a yes vote. We will be entitled to a share of the futures UK NI contribution, compensation for UK national infrastructure at home and abroad that we have already paid into, a share of UK defence etc etc etc.

We have quite a good hand tbh.

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

No. The UK wishes to assume the status of successor state. Legally they then hold liabilities.

That being said there is a trade to be made here between asset and liability.

Hence for a negotiable share of the debt we take some of the goodies.

For example ......no nonsense....we will be keeping the pound...anybody who says we can't is talking shit. The BOE will be straight on the phone after a yes vote. We will be entitled to a share of the futures UK NI contribution, compensation for UK national infrastructure at home and abroad that we have already paid into, a share of UK defence etc etc etc.

We have quite a good hand tbh.

Why would an independent Scotland be entitled to a share in future tax revenue in a country we’re no longer part of?