When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going with "a democratic mandate from the electorate". Maybe one day the Tories will even manage to get a mandate for a referendum in Holyrood, but I'm not convinced any of us will live to see it.

Considering how dead independence supposedly is, this subforum's been getting absolutely hammered since the ruling party (who absolutely don't want independence) announced their plan to force the issue. Surprised all these posters aren't all kicking back watching the wrestling inside the sole head they operate out of.

*plonk*

On 06/07/2022 at 18:00, Lyle Lanley said:

This will go to the general election now. 

It will “go to the general election” for sure, but I’m not sure that WM will accept the result of that either. 

The Lord Advocate not having the confidence that a Holyrood bill would be legal makes me think Sturgeon has no chance at the Supreme Court. 

Edited by Donathan

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The Lord Advocate not having the confidence that a Holyrood bill would be legal makes me think Sturgeon has no chance at the Supreme Court. 

If I recall correctly, the LA was not asked whether a bill would be within the competence of the Scottish Parliament. He was asked to refer the matter to the Supreme Court by Nicola Sturgeon. As far as I am aware, he has expressed no opinion on the matter.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

If I recall correctly, the LA was not asked whether a bill would be within the competence of the Scottish Parliament. He was asked to refer the matter to the Supreme Court by Nicola Sturgeon. As far as I am aware, he has expressed no opinion on the matter.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/lord-advocate-lacks-necessary-confidence-on-legality-of-scottish-independence-vote-plans?amp

Don't believe for a minute that a UK Supreme Court will judge favourably for the Scottish Government, unfortunately. It's shameful that we're even having to ask in the first place. So-called union of equals eh? 

For obvious reasons, I'd prefer to hold a referendum. It's a clear, straightforward Yes or No answer for the electorate. The idea of using a plebiscite/de facto referendum/whatever you want to call it, is open to mass confusion, spin and would play right into the unionists/media's hands. And seeing as it would remove 16-17 year olds and EU nationals votes, it would also be a very high-risk gamble, since their votes won't be counted and that's a fair chunk of potential Yes voters gone. 

Interesting few weeks coming up. 

54 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Gender debate thread for this pish.

23 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Don't believe for a minute that a UK Supreme Court will judge favourably for the Scottish Government, unfortunately. It's shameful that we're even having to ask in the first place. So-called union of equals eh? 

No doubt it's been asked before, but presumably if the government decided it wanted to withdraw England from the UK, they'd just have a wee vote in parliament and do so, and the Scots/Welsh/Norn representatives would just have to lump it.

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

It will “go to the general election” for sure, but I’m not sure that WM will accept the result of that either. 

I agree with your 2nd line.  It has to be a plebiscite election. 

Westminster will try to ignore the result of a Yes victory in a plebiscite election.  An election that was campaigned purely on a single issue like "Independence for Scotland", the same way Boris campaigned purely on "Get Brexit done" .  Another precendent. 

6 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

"He" is a "She"

Edited by Kenneth840

13 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I just can’t see the plebiscite working mate, even if the SNP achieve the popular vote.

Apart from the seats/votes set up of the UK franchise which Scottish mp/msp are choosing to play by. 

What else do you think will make a plebiscite election fail? 

12 minutes ago, Kenneth840 said:

Apart from the seats/votes set up of the UK franchise which Scottish mp/msp are choosing to play by. 

What else do you think will make a plebiscite election fail? 

I think the rest of the parties will just campaign on the usual issues, which will override it's proposed plebiscitary nature.

I think the international community would ignore it too.

My gut feeling is that Sturgeon is being controlled, and that this supposed referendum attempt and subsequent plebiscite are a smokescreen to allow her to leave to do something else and still be able to say 'I tried everything'.

If she leaves Scottish/British politics, then I can't see any other SNP leader being as popular with voters.  I must admit, when she took over from Salmond I was genuinely scared.

What do you think will happen?

I mind similar predictions when Salmond left. His replacement, Nicola would not be as popular with voters. heh.

Mhairi Black is a great speaker, and is being mentored by Ian Blackford. Another eloquent speaker and practiced parliamentarian. There is some real talent within the party. There is also the fact that media training is a skill that can be acquired to a certain extent. They'll do just fine.

Of course ability to navigate a media landscape and being good at debating are not enough; look at the wretched Gove, and man who garners praise for both, yet remains widely loathed. Our very own Ted Cruz.

1 hour ago, Kenneth840 said:

I agree with your 2nd line.  It has to be a plebiscite election. 

Westminster will try to ignore the result of a Yes victory in a plebiscite election.  An election that was campaigned purely on a single issue like "Independence for Scotland", the same way Boris campaigned purely on "Get Brexit done" .  Another precendent. 

Not according to the manifesto they produced when he won his majority.