When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hate to give the game away or paint this in primary colour crayon for you but every avenue in the pursuit of a vote is win win. If no s30 and SC rules against a consultative referendum this will make a fundamental change to the constitutional make up of the UK. It will stop being a voluntary union where the question can be avoided with "now is not the time" to an established position that "now can never be the time."

It will kill the union in concept and reality before any vote in Scotland takes place. 

Did I accidentally venture onto reddit? 

This is absolute neckbeard fan fiction. 

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

People are very aware that the issue at hand is that Britain should not be partitioned on the say so of 8% of its population.

Scotland is neither socially nor politically homogeneous.  This is natural since we've all been the same nation for over 300 years.  So, at its heart, Nationalism is based on a falsehood.

I'll leave "partition" for others to have a pop at, but if you see Scotland as a country working in a union based on the concept of equals but which is demonstrably failing (and it certainly is failing on a number of levels), then the current SNP which has had independence as a core aim, is surely within its right to push for a referendum. 

Not sure I understand the bit about homogeneity - is any country socially or culturally homogeneous? But what Scotland is, and as the past several years have shown, is a very different country from the Conservative government's direction of travel. From the lies behind Brexit, Partygate, breaking of their own laws, sending refugees to Rwanda and their seeming acceptance of breaking international law, is it any wonder that there is a push from the SG to break away from the Untied Kingdom?

The main blockage in the Indy vision is the inability to discuss or improve any of the arguments that lost them the last referendum. 

That's where I am with things.
Throw in Ukraine/Defence, Covid/Vaccine procurement etc will be used.

2 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'll leave "partition" for others to have a pop at, but if you see Scotland as a country working in a union

I’ll stop you there. He doesn’t. Things he doesn’t recognise include:

Scotland being a nation.

Scotland’s national portrait gallery.

The national museum of Scotland.

Anything the Tories do.

The Islamophobia and racism of the Twitter cronies he promotes.

The UK being a “union” of any kind.

His own jingoistic UK nationalism.

The far-right underpinnings and recent takeover of that nationalism.

Ireland.

The UK’s partition of Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon’s name.

Reality.

11 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'll leave "partition" for others to have a pop at, but if you see Scotland as a country working in a union based on the concept of equals but which is demonstrably failing (and it certainly is failing on a number of levels), then the current SNP which has had independence as a core aim, is surely within its right to push for a referendum. 

Not sure I understand the bit about homogeneity - is any country socially or culturally homogeneous? But what Scotland is, and as the past several years have shown, is a very different country from the Conservative government's direction of travel. From the lies behind Brexit, Partygate, breaking of their own laws, sending refugees to Rwanda and their seeming acceptance of breaking international law, is it any wonder that there is a push from the SG to break away from the Untied Kingdom?

The SNP that make up the SG have been pushing for Scotland to be independent as long as I’ve been alive.

It’s not a new concept and sod all to do with how big a bunch of c***s the current UK gov are.

ETA I’m knocking on 50 for context.  I remember being a young teenager and lads older than me that were allowed to vote saying they were voting SNP for independence.

Edited by Left Back

1 minute ago, Richie said:

That's where I am with things.
Throw in Ukraine/Defence, Covid/Vaccine procurement etc will be used.

As a Unionist I know people would love it if I was raging or losing the head and admittedly I might be if I was in anyway worried we would lose the argument but right now I'm comfortable and enjoying this false dawn. 

Let's skip this foreplay segment and get straight into the gritty detail which the SNP so far don't seem to want to do. 

They're good at throwing red meat and endorsing loonies but when it comes to the forthcoming debate they've produced nothing of value. We are still in the same 2014 debate position. After a decade you might have expected slightly more...

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

As a Unionist I know people would love it if I was raging or losing the head and admittedly I might be if I was in anyway worried we would lose the argument but right now I'm comfortable and enjoying this false dawn. 

Let's skip this foreplay segment and get straight into the gritty detail which the SNP so far don't seem to want to do. 

They're good at throwing red meat and endorsing loonies but when it comes to the forthcoming debate they've produced nothing of value. We are still in the same 2014 debate position. After a decade you might have expected slightly more...

My team: Rangers

31 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I think that's an outrageous statement (not saying you agree with it, though) and kind of falls into the "too stupid" argument. People are very aware that the issue at hand is wether or not Scotland can become an independent country and function as most independent countries do. Those arguing against independence might make the case that indy and SNP are the same, many more see through it.

That's my point. Those outwith Scotland cannot separate independence from SNP.

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

People are very aware that the issue at hand is that Britain should not be partitioned on the say so of 8% of its population.

Scotland is neither socially nor politically homogeneous.  This is natural since we've all been the same nation for over 300 years.  So, at its heart, Nationalism is based on a falsehood.

Whether you like it or not, the people of Scotland repeatedly vote in a way at odds with the rest of the UK. The UK may have been pretty much aligned historically, but only someone blinded by loyalty to a non existent past could not see the increasing divergence. Even the Scottish Tories are at odds with the UK wide party. Got to remember that people's fears of change will have dropped given the events of both Brexit and Covid. 

It's for those who see a future for the union to make the case for the status quo as the argument that a) we shouldn't have a vote in the first place and b) independence is bad, will not win out. A clever unionist would argue the points on what the union brings politically, culturally and financially. A hard sell, but the inly one they can make. 

17 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hate to give the game away or paint this in primary colour crayon for you but every avenue in the pursuit of a vote is win win. If no s30 and SC rules against a consultative referendum this will make a fundamental change to the constitutional make up of the UK. It will stop being a voluntary union where the question can be avoided with "now is not the time" to an established position that "now can never be the time."

It will kill the union in concept and reality before any vote in Scotland takes place. 

Scottish Parliament has has much legal right to hold a referendum on independence as it has to start a war with a foreign country or give up nuclear weapons - ie none. On that basis and on no other, the SC is guaranteed to reject the SG's request. 

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Some old gammon on sky news saying if Scotland votes yes, he will move to England.

Bye bye

I love how they assume England would want them. They really ought to be frightened of becoming the kind of scapegoated furriners that they’ve spent so long demonising and saying aren’t wanted (because countries should look after their own onl- first!)

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Scottish Parliament has has much legal right to hold a referendum on independence as it has to start a war with a foreign country or give up nuclear weapons - ie none. On that basis and on no other, the SC is guaranteed to reject the SG's request. 

Yeah, that’s kind of a humiliating position for any nation to be in - and a good reason for pursuing independence. 

3 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

My team: Rangers

A genuine question. Given the high portion of Rangers fans being unionist, do Rangers fans get drawn towards unionism by being a Rangers fan or does being a unionist draw them towards Rangers? I understand people take their lead from parents etc.

I love how they assume England would want them. They really ought to be frightened of becoming the kind of scapegoated furriners that they’ve spent so long demonising and saying aren’t wanted (because countries should look after their own onl- first!)
Agree...its like the norn iron pallet burners. .Nobody out their wee bubble, gives a shit

At least Nicola went on the offensive for once. Telling the (reckless) Toaries that if they don’t allow a referendum the SNP will run for the 2024 General Election on a ‘vote yes for independence’ platform and turn it into a de facto referendum is a move. Not sure how successful it’ll be in achieving independence. Possibly not very, but it’s something at least.