When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One aspect of this that shouldn't be forgotten in this thread at least, more than the wider debate itself, is that the bigoted, self loathing toxic auld xenophobe Kincardine has absolutely no say whatsover  in the debate, or the vote to come. 

Had that moon howling gonk on ignore for a while now, would recommend.

To give her her due that was a decent speech from Nippy.  She really does rehash the same old tropes, lies and half-truths exceptionally well.  What a pity she's up against Sarwar, Ross and Cole-Hamilton whose response was lamentably weak.  Nationalism is a suppurating pustule on the face of Scotland based on the nasty politics of identity and grievance and they need to address that issue rather than the limp response of 'wait until we're crisis-free'.
The bigger problem from today is that we're really not any further forward.  OK Nippy will 1. Ask for a S30 order then 2. Ask the SC if she can introduce an independence bill on the back of an advisory opinion poll.  Probably no to both.  So she'll then fight the next GE on a single issue.  Assuming she gets a result that shows a 'win' (however that is decided) for the Partitionists that will then take us back to the need for a S30 order.  So, really, it's they same old pish that is crippling Scotland going on and on.
Of course, the diseased boil of nationalism does need to be lanced.  Constantly saying 'no' to single-issue Anglophobes won't make the problem go away so Britain's government needs to do some combination of the following:
1. Break up Holyrood.  It's clearly not working as intended.  Pretty much everything in Scotland is worse than 15 years ago since the SNP have a single focus on Partition.  Furthermore, much of Scotland away from the central belt is as alienated from HR as the Partitionists are from WM.  We need a fresh approach to regional administration across the  nation.
2. Consider a whole-nation debate on Partition asking, something like "Should the 4 regions of Britain have the power to partition the country?"  If there's a yes to that then give Scotland a vote and make the outcome legally binding.
3. Grant a S30 order but recognise that Scotland isn't a social or political homogeneity.  Large parts of the country don't want to be held to ransom by boors, neds and Shinners in their squalid Yes Favelas.  Therefore, any future referendum should have options for the decent parts of Scotland to remain with the rest of us either as contiguous areas or as Crown Dependencies.  This is an honest approach and provides a real solution to a problem that Partitionists ignore:  Scexit will cause more difficulties than it solves.  This would give an option for some people in Scotland to escape from a Partitionist dystopia.
So lots of cogently-presented bluster from Nippy as you'd expect.  But it really didn't address the issue adequately.

Up ye

Nicola Sturgeon's letter:

Spoiler

In May last year the Scottish Government was re-elected on a clear promise to give the people of Scotland the choice of independence. The election also returned a Scottish Parliament with a decisive majority in favour of independence and with a mandate for an independence referendum.

In line with that mandate, we committed last year to work to ensure that a legitimate and constitutional referendum could be held, if the Covid crisis is over, within the first half of this term of the Scottish Parliament.

Your government has made abundantly clear your reluctance to respect that mandate or to respond positively to my previous request for constructive engagement to agree the terms of an Order in Council under Section 30 of the Scotland Act 1998 to put the legal basis of a referendum beyond any doubt.

Against that background, the Lord Advocate has, following a request from me, decided to refer to the Supreme Court the question of whether Scottish Parliament legislation for such a referendum relates to reserved matters. The reference is being served on the Advocate General today.

It is a matter of deep regret to me that this action is necessary. In a voluntary union of nations where the people of one nation have voted in elections to give a mandate for a referendum it is, in my view, unacceptable democratically that the route to a referendum to be via the courts rather than co-operation between the UK and Scottish governments.

Indeed your actions to date call into question the whole idea of the UK as a voluntary partnership.

You and I will never agree on the merits of independence for Scotland. But I would expect any democrat to agree that it is unacceptable for the people of Scotland to be blocked from making that choice given the clear majority for a referendum in the Scottish Parliament.

Although the court action is in progress, I continue to stand ready to negotiate the terms of a Section 30 order with you, as we did with the UK Government in 2012, to respect the mandate given by the people of Scotland.

Nicola Sturgeon

So it's really been around 10 years since we began discussion over the last referendum.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I like this idea as long as no-one who lives in Edinburgh gets a vote

Harsh. We've already lost our fitba team. If we lost our vote as well then we'd truly have to start supporting Berwick Rangers....

27 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

The MP for South Croydon telling the jocks what they want 

I wonder if he has any knowledge about this issue or is just using people dying, as a cheap sound bite.

I suspect it's a sound bite. Horrible horrible stuff.

Also I'd love to see where he found The FM saying it's a once in a generation vote.

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

The idea that UDI would happen after a GE is absolutely insane and is pure red meat. 

The idea of this was actually a tory proclamation. Margaret Thatcher I believe. 

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

I agree with the majority of your sentiments but do you not realise that this shit is going to be around for the whole thing regardless of one persons post on a football messageboard.

The “I’m not going to vote yes because I hate the SNP” is something that’s going to be around no matter what happens.

I hate the snp but will be voting yes! Cannot fucking wait to vote yes. Every fucker should vote yes. 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if he has any knowledge about this issue or is just using people dying, as a cheap sound bite.

I suspect it's a sound bite. Horrible horrible stuff.

Also I'd love to see where he found The FM saying it's a once in a generation vote.

Would only take him a 10 seconds google search tbf. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The idea of this was actually a tory proclamation. Margaret Thatcher I believe. 

I hate the snp but will be voting yes! Cannot fucking wait to vote yes. Every fucker should vote yes. 

This was before my lifetime but I would disagree with the idea. Can't see it happening anyway. 

One aspect of this that shouldn't be forgotten in this thread at least, more than the wider debate itself, is that the bigoted, self loathing toxic auld xenophobe Kincardine has absolutely no say whatsover  in the debate, or the vote to come. 

Fabulous, isn't it? [emoji23]
Had that moon howling gonk on ignore for a while now, would recommend.
I had the jakey racist on ignore for a while, but along with DPB they make such great point and laugh posters. I mean you can just imagine the actual nick he's going to be in on a nightly basis after today. Lovely.

That Duries Air Freshener boy however is a complete waste of bandwidth and total ignore material.