When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good to see a date announced, now all the ho hum from the press about legitimacy etc...With the date set and least all the Indy fringe loonies who say she doesn't want indy and is a state actor can stop willy watching politics and go back to fighting online with the We love you Boris going for 55 dog profile britnats.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

WHIT ABOOT MA PENSION???

It's funny, Brits living in Outer fucking Mongolia still get their UK state pension, yet stupid bastard Scottish Tory pensioners think they wouldn't get theirs in an iScotland 😂

44 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Sigh. Didn’t take long for this kind of patter to raise its head again.

As you fine well know, this is a vote for independence - not for the SNP. Why you felt the need to shoehorn in a remark about your hatred for the party I do not know. It just feeds into this narrative “am no voting Yes cause I hate the SNP!!1!1!” I say this as someone who is also not a fan of the SNP.

I don’t care which party is in charge, I’d be voting for independence regardless every single time. We are voting for a future where Scotland takes its own path. To run our own affairs. No more conservative rule probably ever again. An opportunity to rejoin the EU and forge close bonds with neighbouring countries.

It’s important to remind people of the bigger picture here rather than focus on petty party politics.

I agree with the majority of your sentiments but do you not realise that this shit is going to be around for the whole thing regardless of one persons post on a football messageboard.

The “I’m not going to vote yes because I hate the SNP” is something that’s going to be around no matter what happens.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Good to see a date announced, now all the ho hum from the press about legitimacy etc...With the date set and least all the Indy fringe loonies who say she doesn't want indy and is a state actor can stop willy watching politics and go back to fighting online with the We love you Boris going for 55 dog profile britnats.

That was one the more ridiculous theories going around, Nicola the arch-unionist. She turned up today with not one, but 3 ways forward for independence.

The other "theory" was that Nicola is a man. think about it. It's not Nicola Sturgeon, it's Nicolas Turgeon.

Hiding in plain sight.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

I took the UK GE as an indication ref to mean that if the SNP + Green Votes  is more than Tory, Labour and Lib Dems then it's a yes vote rather than the SNP winning the majority of seats.

Right. But taking the 2019 election as an example:

SNP + Green: 46% (Greens contributed 1%).

Tory, Labour and Lib Dem: 53%

The high water mark for the SNP in any Westminster election is 49.97%, which they got in 2015. So lets say they hit that again, and do so by taking 5% out of the Tories. You're talking about 53/54 seats out of 59. Is it enough? It's not as many seats as they got in 2015, for example.

The likely ceiling for the SNP/Greens in terms of vote share is probably 51%. It would require the SNP matching their previous record highs. And you could reasonably point at the Greens and say "People voted for them for other reasons, not just independence".

I don't know what vote share or seat numbers would be enough, and I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to it. The only thing that seems certain is that getting to the number that forces the UK Government to negotiate would seem to be very difficult.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's funny, Brits living in Outer fucking Mongolia still get their UK state pension, yet stupid b*****d Scottish Tory pensioners think they wouldn't get theirs in an iScotland 😂

Just depends how much confidence we would have in iScotland being able to pay it?

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Right. But taking the 2019 election as an example:

SNP + Green: 46% (Greens contributed 1%).

Tory, Labour and Lib Dem: 53%

The high water mark for the SNP in any Westminster election is 49.97%, which they got in 2015. So lets say they hit that again, and do so by taking 5% out of the Tories. You're talking about 53/54 seats out of 59. Is it enough? It's not as many seats as they got in 2015, for example.

The likely ceiling for the SNP/Greens in terms of vote share is probably 51%. It would require the SNP matching their previous record highs. And you could reasonably point at the Greens and say "People voted for them for other reasons, not just independence".

I don't know what vote share or seat numbers would be enough, and I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to it. The only thing that seems certain is that getting to the number that forces the UK Government to negotiate would seem to be very difficult.

I think I'm right in saying that the Lib Dems at that election were still in favour of a second Brexit referendum, so people who vote for the best chance to rejoin the EU might flip. I also know Labour voters who support independence so I get that it might still be very close but having it explicitly as an indication of the countries position then you might see that move. Similarly there are probably SNP folk who would vote no albeit a small %

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just depends how much confidence we would have in iScotland being able to pay it?

I think a over a decade of meeting all their budget targets demonstrates that they can.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's funny, Brits living in Outer fucking Mongolia still get their UK state pension, yet stupid b*****d Scottish Tory pensioners think they wouldn't get theirs in an iScotland 😂

While you're correct that UK pensioners in Mongolia can claim the UK state pension it will be a fixed amount.  It will never be increased as Mongolia doesn't have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK in that regard so it's not as straightforward as you make out.

How pensions would work is therefore a valid question to be asking as UK gov surely won't be paying for pensions in an independent Scotland.  It's not like pensions are a big fund we've all paid into that is ring-fenced therefore we'd be entitled to a slice of the pie if we go independent.  The UK state pension is unfunded and paid for at the time out of general taxation.