When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read a Twitter thread this morning that stated that Scotland already has an S30 to hold elections and referendums - an S30 is just a vehicle to move retained issues to a devolved government - but the outstanding question is whether that existing  S30 allows the SG to hold a referendum impacting the UK constitution - that still needs to be tested in court.

Also, all referendums and elections are 'advisory', including general elections.

Any constitutional lawyers able to confirm or otherwise?

1 minute ago, sophia said:

The answer is the 19th of October 2023.

Please close this thread.

Not watching it - is there anything beyond the date in terms of substance. By which I mean, what happens when the Tories say no to an S30?

1 minute ago, renton said:

Not watching it - is there anything beyond the date in terms of substance. By which I mean, what happens when the Tories say no to an S30?

Lord Advocate is immediately going to the Supreme Court to establish legality

If the supreme court answer is no and there is a further no from Westminster the SNP will fight the general election on a single issue ticket .. a de facto referendum

Wee Dougie has just filled his pants 

Edited by sophia

Class that she's already set out the expectations that when they get told it's illegal then it's "Westminsters fault" and how they'll fight the next GE. 

So we're in the exact same place we were for the past decade. Nationalists that haven't drunk the kool aid like some of the regular sycophants here must be massively let down. 

Just now, sophia said:

If the answer is no and there is a further no from Westminster the SNP will fight the general election on a single issue ticket .. a de facto referendum

Wee Dougie has just filled his pants 

Shameless power grab. If we can’t get this through just give us all the power anyway. What a brass neck.

5 minutes ago, sophia said:

Lord Advocate is immediately going to the Supreme Court to establish legality

I'm not wholly sold on the chances of getting a decent result out of that.

f**k (and I cannot stress this enough) the SNP, shocking party that have shown themselves up as incompetent and left a lot of their morals and values in question.

However if this goes ahead I have absolutely no doubt that it’ll be a Yes vote from me, have absolutely no love for the UK, England or anything like that, the SNP won’t be around forever, I do sincerely hope this goes ahead and that we don’t f**k it up this time.

I haven’t seen the speech but the outcomes seem fairly pragmatic. Plan A is try asking, which will be a no. Then it’ll be the courts, which I suspect will also be a no.

Plan C is the interesting one. I think Sturgeon deserves credit from all sides for not going down the route of an “illegal” referendum as a fair chunk of her party members would like. However what is the detail of using the GE as a ‘de facto’ referendum? If the SNP get more than 50% of the vote, it’s UDI? An extra extra special mandate to ask for a Section 30 again? Or does a simple plurality of seats under FPTP count as a win?