When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

2023 is good for me. Can't see any reason why not.

I'm a bit busy next year TBH. Can't we bring it forward to the end of this one?

Edit: bollocks, forgot about the World Cup. Is October too soon?

Edited by BFTD

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Is it embarassing? There wasn't any commitments, that said it would be a whole lot more realistic to try the "let's be better than that lot" by actually respecting the parliamentary, they did okay during Covid so hopefully the presiding officer giving them a bollocking will be an end to the matter.

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm a bit busy next year TBH. Can't we bring it forward to the end of this one?

Edit: bollocks, forgot about the World Cup. Is October too soon?

Look into a postal vote 😉

Watched the full announcement, and the q&a, both Patrick and Nicola handled themselves extremely well and set out their intention to hold a referendum with or without a section 30.

I do have one criticism; they should've sprung for a second signer as the lady had to move very quickly when switching between speakers, she looked quite worn out by it all!

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is it embarassing? There wasn't any commitments, that said it would be a whole lot more realistic to try the "let's be better than that lot" by actually respecting the parliamentary, they did okay during Covid so hopefully the presiding officer giving them a bollocking will be an end to the matter.

I don't think it's particularly embarrassing just journalists being journalists. Generally speaking as a Yoon it's not really much though is it? 

It's essentially what we've heard for the last 8 years. 

As @Detournementsaid the timing if they were to somehow have an ace up their sleeve and have a referendum is bizarre anyway. Cost of living crisis and Brexit problems makes further turmoil and potential further generations of austerity quite unappealing, the uncertainty of their arguments is not a good sale at this present time. 

I'd actually be interested to hear from some of the more sensible Indy supporters that would only support a referendum when they think they can actually win it what they think about having one in this climate. 

25 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I don't think it's particularly embarrassing just journalists being journalists. Generally speaking as a Yoon it's not really much though is it? 

As @Detournementsaid the timing if they were to somehow have an ace up their sleeve and have a referendum is bizarre anyway. Cost of living crisis and Brexit problems makes further turmoil and potential further generations of austerity quite unappealing, the uncertainty of their arguments is not a good sale at this present time. 

I'd actually be interested to hear from some of the more sensible Indy supporters that would only support a referendum when they think they can actually win it what they think about having one in this climate. 

Depends how the UKG carry on if they try and break the Good Friday Agreement either to deport folk to Rwanda or to solve their negotiated Brexit then we might see the UK be shunned for breaching a treaty and the GFA.

However just like Brexit and Trump maybe folk will just be fed up with the UK Government and the UK parliament and just go "f**k this". We know Johnston will continue to lurch from controversy to controversy and undermine pretty much everything then I would imagine that group will grow, also if EU nationals can vote then that would help. 

31 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Depends how the UKG carry on if they try and break the Good Friday Agreement either to deport folk to Rwanda or to solve their negotiated Brexit then we might see the UK be shunned for breaching a treaty and the GFA.

However just like Brexit and Trump maybe folk will just be fed up with the UK Government and the UK parliament and just go "f**k this". We know Johnston will continue to lurch from controversy to controversy and undermine pretty much everything then I would imagine that group will grow, also if EU nationals can vote then that would help. 

18 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

After all that has happened in the last 8 years its a bit of a brass neck for the britnat side to go on about the "uncertainty" of independence.😄

You raised two huge issues which I have emboldened above.

The first issue on obviously affects the wider international economy and whilst maybe not caused by the policies of HM gov.... its consequences are certainly exarcebated.

Of the second point there is no doubt. Westminster is completely to blame for us getting dragged out the EU against the wish of the vast majority of Scots.

Huge issues, continuing to impact on the lives of everyone in Scotland....and yet decisions are made for us that are clearly not for the benefit of the Scottish economy and inspite of Scottish public opinion. We are not even an afterthought for these f@ckers at Westminster. That's uncertainty.

Further generations of austerity? Austerity is a Tory policy. One that began in the coalition and continues today, they have shrunk spending on budgets and shrunk the grant to Scotland as a consequence, add in the fuckery of Brexit and you have an economy that performing as badly as Russia.

Reversing the worst of Brexit would benefit Scotland, as would the reallocation of funds raised through taxation under the increased powers. Defence spending in particular would be significantly cut, as we have no need to fund nuclear weapons, their support infrastructure nor the platforms to deploy them.

That and the EU will actually assist Scotland with funding, because they are not incompetent.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

Look into a postal vote 😉

Watched the full announcement, and the q&a, both Patrick and Nicola handled themselves extremely well and set out their intention to hold a referendum with or without a section 30.

Except we all know that's a piece of nonsense.

It's a bone tossed to the Natter dafties.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

I agree with all the sentiments about how shite the current state of UK politics and how much of a c**t Boris is I just can't agree that the silver bullet to this issue is SI. It's extremely radical and a bit of a gamble in the same way Brexit was imo. 

I'd support more devolution and similar things but full Independence right now isolating ourselves from the UK and the EU for the next decade is not what I think is best for your average person living in the UK. 

18 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

After all that has happened in the last 8 years its a bit of a brass neck for the britnat side to go on about the "uncertainty" of independence.😄

You raised two huge issues which I have emboldened above.

The first issue on obviously affects the wider international economy and whilst maybe not caused by the policies of HM gov.... its consequences are certainly exarcebated.

Of the second point there is no doubt. Westminster is completely to blame for us getting dragged out the EU against the wish of the vast majority of Scots.

Huge issues, continuing to impact on the lives of everyone in Scotland....and yet decisions are made for us that are clearly not for the benefit of the Scottish economy and inspite of Scottish public opinion. We are not even an afterthought for these f@ckers at Westminster. That's uncertainty.

Stopped reading at "Britnat". 

I'm nowhere near a British Nationalist. You're larping right now. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

19 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I agree with all the sentiments about how shite the current state of UK politics and how much of a c**t Boris is I just can't agree that the silver bullet to this issue is SI. It's extremely radical and a bit of a gamble in the same way Brexit was imo. 

I'd support more devolution and similar things but full Independence right now isolating ourselves from the UK and the EU for the next decade is not what I think is best for your average person living in the UK. 

Stopped reading at "Britnat". 

I'm nowhere near a British Nationalist. You're larping right now. 

If it swings towards the UK needing to win rather than just defending then I would be interested to see the positive case made by the old guard who don't seem capable of doing do and just pour scorn on the whole thing.

I'm not entirely sure we would be isolated for a decade the UK are desperately doing deals with anyone including the Greenland deal that's going through just now. Also if Russia continue to have sanctions on them Scotland joining the EU would be an attractive solution for some energy. Also we are so closely aligned that it wouldn't need to be the full blown process, that said neither would be done all at once and there would be some transition period which would be odd as of course we may have completed Brexit by the end of 2023 or  early 2024.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

If it swings towards the UK needing to win rather than just defending then I would be interested to see the positive case made by the old guard who don't seem capable of doing do and just pour scorn on the whole thing.

I'm not entirely sure we would be isolated for a decade the UK are desperately doing deals with anyone including the Greenland deal that's going through just now. Also if Russia continue to have sanctions on them Scotland joining the EU would be an attractive solution for some energy. Also we are so closely aligned that it wouldn't need to be the full blown process, that said neither would be done all at once and there would be some transition period which would be odd as of course we may have completed Brexit by the end of 2023 or  early 2024.

You seem to think that partitioning Britain has some geopolitical resonance.  It doesn't.

It's all about a shower of daft xenophobes - neds, boors and Shinners - wanting a chap from Eyemouth having to cross an international border to go 10 miles for his messages in Berwick.

It is nasty and pernicious.