When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're dealing with a thicket of ScotchNats whose knowledge of history is a weird synthesis of Braveheart and Trainspotting, though.  Not surprising to me.

Not up to the standard you find on alt-right Twitter, whose extremists you repost (until the platform bans them for inciting hate)?

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

New one on me, Gilpty.  Feel welcome to put it in context.

I'm sure that a scholar like yourself will be aware of AV Dicey's constitutional theories. I'm surprised that you need me to explain further.

His definition of parliamentary sovereignty (The Law of the Constitution (1885), pp 39-40) was as follows: "Parliament may by statute make or unmake any law".

Put simply, this means that any attempt to prevent a future parliament from undoing an earlier act of the UK parliament would be uncostitutional.

Accordingly, the line "and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom" would have absolutely no effect if parliament chose to simply repeal the act of union

6 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Of course you didn’t - because it undermines your “settled” claim. We voted to remain part of a state which no longer exists; it’s been replaced by the separatist Brexit Britain. Naturally, racists like Kincy are happy about that - but recent elections indicate the rest of us are not. Of course, if Scots are keen to decide to remain part of a separatist state, I’d have thought Little Britons would be eager for another referendum - to really show our faith in partitioning Europe and getting it right up Johnny Foreigner. Also, you’re wrong about the Edinburgh Agreement. 

I'm correct about the Edinburgh Agreement, and nothing you say about the EU changes the fact that the issue of the proposed nightmare of partition was settled in 2014.

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

His definition of parliamentary sovereignty (The Law of the Constitution (1885), pp 39-40) was as follows: "Parliament may by statute make or unmake any law".

Yes, yes.  "What parliament wants Parliament gets".  Britain's constitution in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Put simply, this means that any attempt to prevent a future parliament from undoing an earlier act of the UK parliament would be uncostitutional.

Nah.  Unsurprisingly- it means the polar opposite of that.  As  you quoted, "Parliament may by statute make or unmake any law".

2 minutes ago, Goomba said:

I'm correct about the Edinburgh Agreement, and nothing you say about the EU changes the fact that the issue of the proposed nightmare of partition was settled in 2014.

You’re really not. The Edinburgh agreement did not bind any future referendums nor prevent them. We voted in 2014 to remain part of an EU member. We then voted to retain that state of affairs in 2016, yet “the proposed nightmare of partition” as you call it when ahead despite our vote. We have since voted to hold a referendum on whether we wish to remain part of a separatist state. If, as BritNats claim, we do, I can’t see why they’d fight tooth and nail to stop us expressing that desire.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nah.  Unsurprisingly- it means the polar opposite of that.  As  you quoted, "Parliament may by statute make or unmake any law".

What! 

The statement "and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom" is clearly unconsitutional! 

How can it be read in any other way apart from being an attempt to bind future parliaments?

However, at least we agree on one thing - the act of union can be repealed at any time.

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're dealing with a thicket of ScotchNats whose knowledge of history is a weird synthesis of Braveheart and Trainspotting, though.  Not surprising to me.

History is so yesterday.

The required and modest swing to yes is not predicated upon obscure parchments and landed gentry deals.

Rather the positive win will be delivered by those internationalists who and this delights me so, @The_Kincardine so identifies with.

(I hesitate to post whilst a schooling is in progress but what the hell)

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

Not surprising that a reposter of racist, Europhobic hate-mongers would try and downplay the absolute fact that we voted to remain in an EU member state.

In the clusterfuck that is ScotchNat-dominated Scotland that's the only good thing to come out of the last 15 years.

12 minutes ago, Antlion said:

You’re really not. The Edinburgh agreement did not bind any future referendums nor prevent them. We voted in 2014 to remain part of an EU member. We then voted to retain that state of affairs in 2016, yet “the proposed nightmare of partition” as you call it when ahead despite our vote. We have since voted to hold a referendum on whether we wish to remain part of a separatist state. If, as BritNats claim, we do, I can’t see why they’d fight tooth and nail to stop us expressing that desire.

I really am.

The 2014 referendum was nothing to do with the EU, and I can confidently assure you, contrary to your claim, that the proposed nightmare of partition actually did not go ahead.

9 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

What! 

The statement "and for ever after, be united into one Kingdom" is clearly unconsitutional! 

How can it be read in any other way apart from being an attempt to bind future parliaments?

However, at least we agree on one thing - the act of union can be repealed at any time.

That it be first article of the union of the kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, that the said kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland shall, upon the first day of January, which shall be in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and one, and for ever, be united into one kingdom, by the name of “the united kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland,”

How’s that working out?

1 minute ago, Goomba said:

I really am.

The 2014 referendum was nothing to do with the EU, and I can confidently assure you, contrary to your claim, that the proposed nightmare of partition actually did not go ahead.

You’re really not. 2014 was a decision to remain in the UK - an EU member. Since then, the rest of the UK decided to break up the EU despite our vote. We then elected a government which would offer us the chance of endorsing or rejecting this newly-separatist state. Repeating untruths doesn’t make them truer. Indeed it did - I listened to various business folk calling into LBC the other day to express their horror at the nightmare of our partitioning of Europe.

28 minutes ago, Antlion said:

You’re really not. 2014 was a decision to remain in the UK - an EU member. Since then, the rest of the UK decided to break up the EU despite our vote. We then elected a government which would offer us the chance of endorsing or rejecting this newly-separatist state. Repeating untruths doesn’t make them truer. Indeed it did - I listened to various business folk calling into LBC the other day to express their horror at the nightmare of our partitioning of Europe.

I really am.

The 2014 referendum was nothing to do with the EU.  It was about the UK and the UK only.  All talk about EU member states is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Goomba said:

I really am.

The 2014 referendum was nothing to do with the EU.  It was about the UK and the UK only.  All talk about EU member states is irrelevant.

And the UK was an EU member state. BritNats certainly thought EU membership status was relevant; they were keen to make the 2014 about the EU, because one of their selling points was that the UK was in the EU. Now it isn’t. It’s a racist, partitionist state. The UK’s separatist bent unsettled our decision in 2014. If you’re so sure that we’re happy to remain in a partitionist state, why not welcome a referendum to endorse Scotland’s minor position in Brexit Britain?

9AD8BD85-257B-4929-AD9B-33B21FC082BA.png

8738B5A1-B3D0-41D6-9D75-EF521D3EB3DE.jpeg

091EE4CC-7346-480B-B575-CB3C8360A118.jpeg

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I must have simply misread the question. Silly me.

I think @Antlionhas been on the drink tonight. 🤣

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Was it your intention to be patronising?

I think you know patronising when you see it.

Well done you.

For those from mainland Europe that voted in 2014, continuing membership of the EU was most certainly a driver. They were far from alone.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Was it your intention to be patronising?

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The 2014 referendum was about staying in the EU was it?

Jeezo. 🤣

And there was me thinking I had voted Yes to the question "Should Scotland be an Independent Country?"

I must have simply misread the question.

Silly me.

I think @Antlionhas been on the drink tonight. 🤣

0A8363E3-6999-487B-BFD9-644356831EC9.gif

1 hour ago, sophia said:

I think you know patronising when you see it.

Well done you.

For those from mainland Europe that voted in 2014, continuing membership of the EU was most certainly a driver. They were far from alone.

Indeed it was - it’s a simple statement of fact. Obviously thickos will misinterpret my comments as saying the 2014 was only about the EU. It wasn’t. It was, though, a fact that our vote being on whether or not we remained part of an EU member state was made a significant factor in the 2014 referendum by the UK. Our EU membership was then revoked by the UK. We have never voted on whether we want to be part of Brexit Britain.