When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yesterday Nicola Sturgeon spent the day arguing climate change is a feminist issue?

Having read what she said what is the issue? It’s a bit bland liberal politician speak but I don’t think it’s controversial to say that if climate change is like to disproportionately impact women then it’s important it’s understood within a feminist framework. I don’t think Sturgeon has said anywhere that it should only be understood as a feminist issue.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Having read what she said what is the issue? It’s a bit bland liberal politician speak but I don’t think it’s controversial to say that if climate change is like to disproportionately impact women then it’s important it’s understood within a feminist framework. I don’t think Sturgeon has said anywhere that it should only be understood as a feminist issue.

Cop26 should be for me anyway solely about fixing it and getting an agreement on action to be taken. There is plenty of time to look at the individual political ideologies or theories. I would much much rather see politicians arguing for and making a deal on lowering carbon emissions at a conference which has achieved very little. Theres too much distraction, it should be negotiators round the table, doors locked no ones getting out until its sorted. I dont have an issue with feminism btw, fully support strong female leadership and equality, but what we need is action. Maybe thats a bit blunt for some but I struggle to see how this event is value for money for the expense its costing Scotland both in terms of the money and the extreme strain being put on public services. 
But if we’re going to look at where/who it impacts most i’d rather we focused on the pacific islanders and bangladesh etc.

Cop26 should be for me anyway solely about fixing it and getting an agreement on action to be taken. There is plenty of time to look at the individual political ideologies or theories. I would much much rather see politicians arguing for and making a deal on lowering carbon emissions at a conference which has achieved very little. Theres too much distraction, it should be negotiators round the table, doors locked no ones getting out until its sorted. I dont have an issue with feminism btw, fully support strong female leadership and equality, but what we need is action. Maybe thats a bit blunt for some but I struggle to see how this event is value for money for the expense its costing Scotland both in terms of the money and the extreme strain being put on public services. 
But if we’re going to look at where/who it impacts most i’d rather we focused on the pacific islanders and bangladesh etc.

You’re right that it’s a waste of time and Greta’s conclusion isn’t wrong but I don’t think Sturgeon’s take is that controversial or that indicative of what the problem is. Or maybe what I mean is that it’s not the most egregious example of how much of a waste of time this all was.

Also this reminded me of a really funny FT article that slags off Xi Jinping over his snub of the conference and it’s implications for the climate before revealing that China are apparently set to spend more on climate action than the US and EU combined! Some laugh.

23 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You’re right that it’s a waste of time and Greta’s conclusion isn’t wrong but I don’t think Sturgeon’s take is that controversial or that indicative of what the problem is. Or maybe what I mean is that it’s not the most egregious example of how much of a waste of time this all was.

Also this reminded me of a really funny FT article that slags off Xi Jinping over his snub of the conference and it’s implications for the climate before revealing that China are apparently set to spend more on climate action than the US and EU combined! Some laugh.

Aye look i was just using that as one example. Theres other things that have made me think its farce like people from at risk countries in the pacific being unable to get to Glasgow whilst they hold symposiums on sustainable fashion and loads of shite. Yet countries like Bangladesh etc which are massively impacted by both climate change and economically dependent on the fashion industry arent even really at the big table. 
We’re never going to see the US and EU make significant change until someone from an oil company or otherwise figures out a way to profit as much from sustainable energy as oil. Thats the solution, find a way to make money from it and we solve climate change. 

43 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aye look i was just using that as one example. Theres other things that have made me think its farce like people from at risk countries in the pacific being unable to get to Glasgow whilst they hold symposiums on sustainable fashion and loads of shite. Yet countries like Bangladesh etc which are massively impacted by both climate change and economically dependent on the fashion industry arent even really at the big table. 
We’re never going to see the US and EU make significant change until someone from an oil company or otherwise figures out a way to profit as much from sustainable energy as oil. Thats the solution, find a way to make money from it and we solve climate change. 

Just remember chief they never gave Ho Chi Minh an audience at Versailles and he humbled The Great Satan 50 years later

• 2 weeks later...

The SNP leadership have acted far too slowly on this in my opinion. The currency issue was the big vote loser during indyref1.

A properly planned out policy detailing transition to a new currency should have been sorted years ago. Work should have been starting on 19.09.2014. Not 7 year doon the line.

Its a policy that needs time to become embedded in the minds of the marginal electorate.....far far in advance of indyref2!!!

There needs to be time for the policy to be thoroughly critiqued, the arguments to be made and won.

That is the stage we should be at.

The SNP leadership have acted far too slowly on this in my opinion. The currency issue was the big vote loser during indyref1.
A properly planned out policy detailing transition to a new currency should have been sorted years ago. Work should have been starting on 19.09.2014. Not 7 year doon the line.
Its a policy that needs time to become embedded in the minds of the marginal electorate.....far far in advance of indyref2!!!
There needs to be time for the policy to be thoroughly critiqued, the arguments to be made and won.
That is the stage we should be at.

Very true. The economic case would destroy the nationalists in any referendum. No credible planning at all.

Shell and BP paid zero tax on North Sea gas and oil for three years
Firms defend paying no corporation tax after government handed out billions to energy giants
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/30/shell-and-bp-paid-zero-tax-on-north-sea-gas-and-oil-for-three-years
Remember that when GERS comes out.

2014 central economic policy was slashing corporation tax in a race to the bottom.

When will indyref2 happen?  Not in my lifetime, and I'm only in my 30s.

Brexit will fade into distant memory as businesses adjust to a changed economic dynamic.  It'll become clearer that trident will be kept and that we won't be able to just waltz back into the EU.  The currency issue won't be solved.. why?  Because there's no credible solution.

The 2014 referendum polling showed that whilst the young voted yes and old voted no, we also saw a slowing of independence support as we reached the youngest.  Embarrassingly, my own age group seemed to be worst for wanting this drivel.

It's not seen as edgy or rebellious to want independence anymore.  As time goes on, more and more people are getting bored with it, and there's only so long it can remain relevant.

7 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

When will indyref2 happen?  Not in my lifetime, and I'm only in my 30s.

Brexit will fade into distant memory as businesses adjust to a changed economic dynamic.  It'll become clearer that trident will be kept and that we won't be able to just waltz back into the EU.  The currency issue won't be solved.. why?  Because there's no credible solution.

The 2014 referendum polling showed that whilst the young voted yes and old voted no, we also saw a slowing of independence support as we reached the youngest.  Embarrassingly, my own age group seemed to be worst for wanting this drivel.

It's not seen as edgy or rebellious to want independence anymore.  As time goes on, more and more people are getting bored with it, and there's only so long it can remain relevant.

It takes some amount of brainwashing to consider independence “drivel”, when it’s pretty much the normal state of affairs for European nations. However, I heartily condone the BritNat approach being, “we don’t need to do anything - the idea of Scotland governing itself will just go away by itself” (presumably the way the idea of leaving the EU just faded away from the English consciousness).