When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

emoji1.png one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read on the forum

Okay, well it’s surely daft to class a full time GP the same as a part time one.

One does more work and sees more patients than the other.

In terms of planning, training and recruitment, it’s surely important to measure the output of both.

Whats your answer?

On 02/10/2021 at 15:22, Kenneth840 said:

Why would we want another referendum right now?  The Snp cant tell its arse from its elbow, one half are calling westminster out for asking for photo id when voting, and the other half at Holyrood are needing it for a vaccine app. 

Apparently there is a shortage of clowns in these islands.  I suggest they head to our parliaments where they will find plenty. 

How about because we voted for a referendum?

If the Unionists had any sense, they'd be right behind a 2nd referendum as soon as possible. I really don't believe we'd win it.

Which is utterly depressing given what a shit show the UK is at the moment and we don't seem to be getting massive swing towards independence.

Just now, Suspect Device said:

If the Unionists had any sense, they'd be right behind a 2nd referendum as soon as possible. I really don't believe we'd win it.

Which is utterly depressing given what a shit show the UK is at the moment and we don't seem to be getting massive swing towards independence.

Very much of the "patience" mentality. There are very few swing voters on this issue now, and it's a generational thing. Tick tock.

The point should be to establish that our parliament has the right to pursue this, or any other issue that's outlined in a party's manifesto and voted on. Making it all about one single extra independence vote just plays into the notion that we're a kiddy-on nation that needs to ask permission to do anything serious.

15 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.ft.com/content/7f792ba6-70bb-46cb-9c8b-747a326eb495?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6

Nicola Sturgeon is right — democracy must prevail

Democracy can be delayed. It must not be denied.

See the below….

On 12/10/2021 at 14:18, Suspect Device said:

Any thinking Independence supporter (and laughably I’d probably put Nicola in with that group) should currently be running a million miles from pushing for a referendum anytime soon. It’d be pissed all over by the electorate. 

Nicola’s trick, if she can manage it, is to maintain the longevity in the spotlight to still be in post when people have to start selling their first born to pay the leccy bill. 

Until then, the safety of sticking with the shitshow that we all know and understand is going to win hands down every time. Sorry. 

I dont think the feeling independence is coming for sure due to a generational shift can be guaranteed, it certainly seems that way but things can change and years of talking about independence and it not happening could turn off future voters who are too young to vote now as it can become a boring subject for them that creates a certain apathy. 

At some point independence has to be delivered or people will grow tired of talking about it 

It may be it happens before then but thinking its something that will just happen whatever im not so sure

Thats why I think they need to create a positive case for it thats full of good feeling and sweeps the nation along with it , im not sure the current snp leadership have that too be honest 

Edited by BigDoddyKane

26 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Until then, the safety of sticking with the shitshow that we all know and understand is going to win hands down every time. Sorry. 

I’d be interested in how this (honest) argument can be spun as being better together, strong and stable, or whatever else can be invoked to make “stick with the shitshow” look like less of a climb down from pre-2014.

25 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’d be interested in how this (honest) argument can be spun as being better together, strong and stable, or whatever else can be invoked to make “stick with the shitshow” look like less of a climb down from pre-2014.

Erm…as I laid out? 
Uk-wide the last 18months has been a shitshow. 

And when allowed the scope to do things their own way, the SG seemed - unless you can direct me to a fundamental directional difference - to have followed a fairly parallel path to WM but only with added tartan. 

They either need to get braver - and delivering - on their vision (whatever that may be) or, for the majority of the interested population it seems all we’ll get is Humza and Swinney. (yay!); and  they don’t even have the balls to express an off party line opinion.

IMHO traditional Scottish conservatism just won’t buy it I’m afraid. 

28 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Erm…as I laid out? 
Uk-wide the last 18months has been a shitshow. 

And when allowed the scope to do things their own way, the SG seemed - unless you can direct me to a fundamental directional difference - to have followed a fairly parallel path to WM but only with added tartan. 

They either need to get braver - and delivering - on their vision (whatever that may be) or, for the majority of the interested population it seems all we’ll get is Humza and Swinney. (yay!); and  they don’t even have the balls to express an off party line opinion.

IMHO traditional Scottish conservatism just won’t buy it I’m afraid. 

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? Should we even expect them to?

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? Should we even expect them to?

PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS BUT ONLY ON MY PHONE.

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? I DONT KNOW. DO YOU? 

Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? IVE NOT SEEN IT YET, HAVE YOU?

Should we even expect them to? YES!! IF THEY CAN’T, WHATS THE POINT? 

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS BUT ONLY ON MY PHONE.

What does this mean in the context of being a minor part of the UK? I DONT KNOW. DO YOU? 

Do the SNP have a vision of a bright future for Scotland under UK rule? IVE NOT SEEN IT YET, HAVE YOU?

Should we even expect them to? YES!! IF THEY CAN’T, WHATS THE POINT? 

I would imagine that any pro-independence party doing much more than ameliorating the worst excesses of the UK would be spun as “look how good dependent Scotland is, being able to improve within the UK”. A balancing act has to be struck between governing well enough to inspire confidence but making clear that there are things that either can’t be mitigated or are simply forced on us as part of being an incorporated devolved nation (YMMV as to whether you think the SNP Gov are striking that balance - but that’s what’s required).

Personally speaking, I don’t want the Scottish government to do a damn thing to help make the Tories’ Brexit work, never mind providing a vision of a bright, anti-EU future in the UK. I doubt anyone in favour of independence wants the SNP or Greens to be doing the racist, Europhobic Tories’ work for them.

When the Treaty of Union was negotiated and ratified in 1707, it was to be a Union of equals between Scotland and England. Scotland retained its own legal and educational system, and under the terms of the treaty the UK Parliament could not interfere in Scots Law. Scotland did not renounce its sovereignty, which had been legally established in the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320, the Claim of Right in 1689, and reaffirmed numerous times including by the UK Parliament as recently as July 4, 2018. 

You would think our Scottish government would know this, so why don't they act?

Carrot anyone?

I'm not going to fault them for pursuing a strategy that has proved itself successful in the past. Ideally everyone concerned would want this to happen with of spirit of cooperation not unlike the partition of Czechoslovakia.

UDI, from our MPS, would be very much an option of last resort. Used only in the event all avenues have been exhausted, something that may well become necessary. For that to work, we need allies. Fortunately for us the EU is very invested in the affairs of neighbouring states that are EU-curious.

FCE9WHNXsAIyTGd?format=png&name=900x900image.png.b88dbf266d49935df592042e52de973b.png

2013                                                                                                        2015

image.png.8778067c66875ecdfe07e1e5d49241aa.pngFCE9XiCXMAATWsw?format=png&name=900x900

5/10/21                                                                                               19/10/2021